Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Sadly, after the initial new tutorial, we still have the same video-led guides with that rather sleepy squirrel. "To move, simply press secondary triangle and primary move, and the primary something, secondary start select, cross, something something, secondary primary more buttons just like that."
Then somebody should remake those videos in Dreams :D

I would like to try making things in Dreams, but I know it would be massive time sink and I don't know if I want to invest so much time. I've seen some creations on YT and it's amazing what some people do, maybe I'll buy it later just for playing through creations.

I would like to try making things in Dreams, but I know it would be massive time sink and I don't know if I want to invest so much time. I've seen some creations on YT and it's amazing what some people do, maybe I'll buy it later just for playing through creations.

When I made my main LBP level it took a lot of time, but I really enjoyed it and felt accomplishment when completed. The gutter was trying to get exposure...I pimped the hell out of it but I think it only ever got a few hundred plays.

Not yet. They are planning to patch in VR support for both later.
Framerate can drop significantly. Might have to be be some large VR caveats for content, or make it a PS5 only feature.

Played the beginning wednesday, very pretty, will play more today.

This looks promising too ...
They should link to the inDreams entry so people can queue it.

https://indreams.me/dream/mPEzXsxbEHD

Dreams needs a good web representation of projects so embedded indreams links show a pretty image.

If you're dropping below 30 fps on PS4, I doubt you'll be hitting a solid 60 fps on PS4Pro for VR. Although that requirements has effectively been dropped for VR, right? Aren't some games really poor framerate on PSVR despite Sony's promises?

probably PSVR mode will have lower thermometer?
It really depends how you structure the level.

I think they'll have to create a framerate counter and force people to complete the whole PSVR dream while benchmarking the fps. A bit how the Super Mario maker creations are done. They are published only if you finish your own levels.

But it's going to be much harder in the case of PSVR Dreams validation. How do you make sure the game is completed ? In the case of a 2D mario games, it's super easy: reach the end. So Media molecule will have to mandate an ending. But how to be sure the user is going in all areas of the level to test the fps from those places ? Particularly if there is complex gameplay logic with several ways of reaching the end.

No wonder the PSVR mode is still not included...

Aren't some games really poor framerate on PSVR despite Sony's promises?
I'm not aware of this and haven't come across any, do you have any examples?

Before PSVR was released Sony were saying how vital stable and high framerates were to the experience. They pointed to internal research showing the experience completely breaks down otherwise.

Going from a memory that likes to make things up, I'm thinking No Man's Sky framerate isn't solid.

Ooo, Google* vindicates me. Borderlands PSVR also has reports of poor framerate.

* Oh, actually Ecosia rather than Google. And 1/15th of a tree (a sizeable branch) were planted in the research taken for this post.

Going from a memory that likes to make things up, I'm thinking No Man's Sky framerate isn't solid.

Ooo, Google* vindicates me. Borderlands PSVR also has reports of poor framerate.

* Oh, actually Ecosia rather than Google. And 1/15th of a tree (a sizeable branch) were planted in the research taken for this post.

Yeah, but normally it is more of a spike in my experience. Skyrim VR started having some frame rate dips as well after the big update that improved graphics a lot. I'm currently playing The Wizards and the graphics are really clear and detailed but some animations (e.g. NPC is killed) play at a noticeably lower frame rate than the rest of the game. Don't know if that's to save GPU power or not though?

It really depends how you structure the level.

I think they'll have to create a framerate counter and force people to complete the whole PSVR dream while benchmarking the fps. A bit how the Super Mario maker creations are done. They are published only if you finish your own levels.

But it's going to be much harder in the case of PSVR Dreams validation. How do you make sure the game is completed ? In the case of a 2D mario games, it's super easy: reach the end. So Media molecule will have to mandate an ending. But how to be sure the user is going in all areas of the level to test the fps from those places ? Particularly if there is complex gameplay logic with several ways of reaching the end.

No wonder the PSVR mode is still not included...

The easy way out is rely on creators will to not make other users puke, and users will not to play content that makes them do so (user ranking can play an important role here)
In modern hypey terms: crowd source the vallidation.
In old school terminology: let the free market sort itself out.

Last edited:
When I made my main LBP level it took a lot of time, but I really enjoyed it and felt accomplishment when completed. The gutter was trying to get exposure...I pimped the hell out of it but I think it only ever got a few hundred plays.

yep, fun is in creating stuff, I made some simple YaBasic games back in PS2 days which saw few people and that was it. I watched more info on Dreams, they will move it to PS5 and support it for years and this type of game needs to be supported so I'm buying it right away.

Back