Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by TEEDA, Jun 17, 2015.

1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

is someone making a web-based tutorial with easy search? I'm really bad and following video instructions. I keep skipping it forward, then get confused, scroll back, then bored its too long.

2. upnorthsox

Veteran

And this is why we have cat videos........

milk likes this.
  3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Nah. The Dreams tutorial vids are pretty soporific. Where LBP had short, cheery tutorial snippets, Dreams has 10 minute long lessons. They'll mention a feature which you'll try, then move onto other stuff. Later, you've forgotten the thing you used earlier, so have to work through the tutorials to find it. I had exactly that. I did the modelling tutorials. I then didn't touch Dreams for a few months. At Christmas I thought I'd have another bash - couldn't for the life of me remember half the stuff. Went through the tutorials again. Some key stuff is just mentioned in passing. They need to start with something more basic like make a snowman. then make a house. Then make an octopus. Have the player actually hitting training landmarks that are building skills and feel a sense of progress, instead of throwing two hours of lessons making dfifferent bridges at them and hoping they get the gist of it.

4. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

You are right. I think this is mostly why Dreams is still in beta access. Because the engine itself is surprisingly stable now. The whole accessibility part has barely being developed by them. You are currently beta suffering testing the thing. :lol2:

5. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Yes, it can handle the complete scene at any time (that doesn't mean that you can't see some frames drop in very complex scenes).

Regarding LOD, I think that at a higher distance, the models are covered with less flecks, the tiny "splats" that make up the geometry, so there's no LOD needed.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yes I posted before I think, there are some pretty extensive instructions etc on reddit and so on.

7. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

8. Arwin

Moderator Legend

yoowul, eloyc, TEEDA and 2 others like this.
  9. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Bearly Regal made another one :)

Also, people started to emulate TLOU sounds/UI/gameplay systems a while back

Newguy and goonergaz like this.
  10. Arwin

Moderator Legend

Great stuff here

11. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Interesting and apparently all made using the tools available in Dreams.

eloyc likes this.
  12. eloyc

Veteran Regular

You can rest assured that everything was made in Dreams.

13. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

What Dreams really lack are charismatic characters. It was already the problem in their previous game Tearaway.

They had that in LittleBigPlanet with Sackboy. They even make money by selling Sackboy merchandises. Why didn't they simply reuse this iconic character in Dreams ?

What they have in Dreams (Connie) is boring. So boring they didn't even use it in the official cover (which sucks anyways). I think it's a big missed opportunity by Sony: they should have used some iconic Sony characters (at least Sackboy) the way Nintendo did it with Super Mario Maker.

[​IMG]

14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Isn't Connie just there for the tutes? I associate the bear with a proper character.

15. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Yuck. That is some lame cover.

16. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

Their mascot is Tom Waits.

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

But...2-3 hour campaign. Dreams really is a hard sell. I still doubt it's going to hit the mainstream. It might well be producing YT videos for years to come for people to gasp in amazement at, but I doubt many people are going to want to engage with the game proper, either as creators or to experience its varied pic'n'mix creations. It's kinda like an art gallery, or movie theatre, that people visit once in a while. And on the whole they can do that for free through YT without having to buy it.

London-boy, novcze and milk like this.
  18. Arwin

Moderator Legend

The quality of game experiences will have to prove you right or wrong. I think from what I’ve seen so far in user levels, I’m pretty confident it will do very well. But I am really looking forward to VR support and seeing how the tutorials, tooling and creators evolve.

19. TEEDA

Regular

Launch trailer.

Karamazov likes this.
  20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I haven't looked at the campaign yet - may hold that off to share with mates. Just starting through the tutorials on creation and MM have made notable changes and improvements. The first experience has been gamified better, with challenges and rewards. Controls have been improved somewhat, and I'm seeing a new physicality in moving content which helps enormously. Before when placing objects, they just occupied 3D space and could overlap. Now, certainly for some objects they snap to surfaces like the floor or other objects. Also the imps hit the floor rather than passing through into general space.

Curious why none of this was tested in the Early Access stage to refine it even better, but it's definitely a big improvement so far. Only real issue using Move controllers is the push/pull to zoom isn't at all responsive. Getting to the point where you can use both Moves to control the camera at the same time is a much appreciated!

Edit: The game has quests which unlike items, like "spend 30 minutes personalising your home space." I think that's overall good. Sadly, after the initial new tutorial, we still have the same video-led guides with that rather sleepy squirrel. "To move, simply press secondary triangle and primary move, and the primary something, secondary start select, cross, something something, secondary primary more buttons just like that."

#780 Shifty Geezer, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    TEEDA likes this.