Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Some really good rendering tech here. Not sure how scalable it is for AAA teams to make a whole world of art for it. But I will admit if the whole world is capable of looking this good that’s quite impressive and I would agree ray tracing hardware doesn’t need to be a thing.

It looks good, but what matters to me in food is how it tastes, and unfortunately, I gave this one a try and it tasted like a cellphone screen.

The final level in Uncharted 4 was also really amazing. I came across a screenshot of a bedroom I posted on Facebook back then. That pool table posted a while back in Dreams, playable and with realistic physics, also looked really amazing.

Dreams probably doesn’t have the resources yet to match Uncharted there. But the point here is definitely that the tools allow for some amazing results.

I am so so curious about how creating art in VR turns out.

How does dream manage assets ? I can't see any popping or LOD transitions. Can it handle the complete scene at any time ?
I know it's not using polygons but still, looks so much détails even at à distance.

They definitely need better tools tutorials because having done the included tutorials twice, I knocked together a simple Cornell box. Created the back wall on a grid. Had to somewhat contort my hand to rotate it with the Move Controller to align properly. Cloned it for side walls and they don't align at the top. Slapped a roof on that overlaps the walls to ensure a close fit as there's no exact fit. Found the global lighting settings not mentioned anywhere in the tutes and set sunlight to black/off, but there was still ambient light. And then you see the amazing things that can be created and you just wish there was a decent from-basics modelling that took you through creating multiple simple objects to see how to master the fundamentals.

They definitely need better tools tutorials because having done the included tutorials twice, I knocked together a simple Cornell box. Created the back wall on a grid. Had to somewhat contort my hand to rotate it with the Move Controller to align properly. Cloned it for side walls and they don't align at the top. Slapped a roof on that overlaps the walls to ensure a close fit as there's no exact fit. Found the global lighting settings not mentioned anywhere in the tutes and set sunlight to black/off, but there was still ambient light. And then you see the amazing things that can be created and you just wish there was a decent from-basics modelling that took you through creating multiple simple objects to see how to master the fundamentals.

hadnt tried it again for awhile, did they change the UX from the first few weeks of alpha? IIRC, the tools and functions were like opening a matroshka doll or something. menu inside menu. tools inside tools. options inside option.

There are a lot of videos that I think are more helpful. For me I think the grid is the most important thing to master, for the exact problems you are having. And it’s not that easy ... but online videos offer a lot more than the built-in tutorials.

Back