Tomb Raider exclusivity fallout thread *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it's not the most important issue on the world, but communication is necessary (for informed choices) and doing it well also necessary. However, it's easily solved by the already existing lexicon of exclusivity terms:

"Exclusive" - this game is not coming to any other platforms.
"Timed exclusive" - it may or may not come to other consoles after a spell.
"IP Owned" - the game and all its sequels is not coming to any other platforms.

It's MS's fault if they won't use these terms. It's not like they're treading pioneering new ground and are trying to convey a new concept no-one's heard of before.

Everyone knows what the exclusivity of Tomb Raider is now, and everyone knows what the exclusivity of Sunset Overdrive is. Now people are just complaining about "messaging."

Q: does Microsoft own the IP or insomniac?
A: No worries this one is Exclusive Exclusive!

It's a pretty important question, who owns the IP?

And yet they green lit a sequel to Sleeping Dogs without needing handouts to do it.

Well the exclusivity of TR may have very much affected the development of Sleeping Dog 2 and other SE titles. Whatever capital SE saved on the TR deal, may have been diverted to other dev projects. It may also have alleviated some potential scheduling conflicts since United Front Games worked on the XB1 port of TR. Maybe the reason we have SD:DE coming to the XB1/PS4 is because UF isn't busy juggling two separate franchises but just one with a portion of the team revisiting old code.

CD, Eidos Montreal, Feral interactive, Nixxes and United Front all contributed to the TR which included ports to the PC, 360, PS3, PS4, XB1 and OSX. It may have been a problematic for SE to simultaneously utilize all those resources for one project. Maybe now UF, EM can aptly concentrate on SD2 and the next Deus EX.

SE may have been feeling the pressure of having a less than stellar 2014, going into 2015 against a strong lineup of planned releases and/or having questionable support from the 360 and PS3 going forward as motivation of seeking some outside investment. TR may have been simply the investment vehicle that MS chose. SD, DE or other titles may have a potential candidates but were passed in favor of TR.

Its not common to do this type of deal with a franchise as well loved and received. Either MS offered a bunch of money or some other issue existed that made SE opened to such a deal. We don't know the terms or conditions that played a part in precipitating the exclusivity. So any possible theory is worthy of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries this one is Exclusive Exclusive!"
Doesnt sound right, perhaps use exclusive exclusivity

However, it's easily solved by the already existing lexicon of exclusivity terms:

"Exclusive" - this game is not coming to any other platforms.
"Timed exclusive" - it may or may not come to other consoles after a spell.
"IP Owned" - the game and all its sequels is not coming to any other platforms.
Nah I like MS's way better

"Exclusive" = not exclusive
"Exclusive Exclusive" = is exclusive

You could extend this to many other english words

Everyone knows what the exclusivity of Tomb Raider is now, and everyone knows what the exclusivity of Sunset Overdrive is. Now people are just complaining about "messaging."
If by "now" you mean pretty much from the moment Microsoft revealed Xbox One on 21 May 2013 then yes 'now' :yep2: But you say this like people were complaining about X and now they are complaining about Y whereas the reason people were complaining about X (Reveal, E3 2013, Tomb Raider etc) was because of Y (messaging).

You can get away with the odd communication faux pas but Microsoft have pretty much communicated everything badly and the more it happens, the more I personally wonder if it's not incompetence but actually intentional. I was very much anticipating buying an One this Fall for Halo MCC but now I'm thinking I think I'll bide my time.

Whether this latest thing with Tomb Raider took a while to sink in or perhaps it's just this combined with some purposeful recollection of other Xbox One messaging that went south, but I'm finding it difficult to believe what they say.

Remember Kinect 2 and how excited Microsoft were really keen to show it off, all the while suggesting about the great games in development for it that would justify the cost? Hmmm.. I don't recall seeing any games justifying the inclusion of Kinect 2. Indeed it's almost like they never existed at all.

Remember Albert Penello vowing Microsoft would never "give up" the performance advantage that PS4 had on paper (specifications). He spoke like he knew something we didn't. He didn't, there's a gap in performance there and, ironically, the game in which it's most pronounced is Tomb Raider Definitive Edition which is not only 1080p on PS4 but runs at higher frame rates too.

The misleading Tomb Raider reveal was the last straw. Their messaging has been far more off than on and I'm at the point where I need to see the bullshit disappear before I invest in their product because their record on delivering what they say isn't good.

There's PR and then there's bullshit.

If by "now" you mean pretty much from the moment Microsoft revealed Xbox One on 21 May 2013 then yes 'now' :yep2: But you say this like people were complaining about X and now they are complaining about Y whereas the reason people were complaining about X (Reveal, E3 2013, Tomb Raider etc) was because of Y (messaging).

You can get away with the odd communication faux pas but Microsoft have pretty much communicated everything badly and the more it happens, the more I personally wonder if it's not incompetence but actually intentional. I was very much anticipating buying an One this Fall for Halo MCC but now I'm thinking I think I'll bide my time.

Whether this latest thing with Tomb Raider took a while to sink in or perhaps it's just this combined with some purposeful recollection of other Xbox One messaging that went south, but I'm finding it difficult to believe what they say.

Remember Kinect 2 and how excited Microsoft were really keen to show it off, all the while suggesting about the great games in development for it that would justify the cost? Hmmm.. I don't recall seeing any games justifying the inclusion of Kinect 2. Indeed it's almost like they never existed at all.

Remember Albert Penello vowing Microsoft would never "give up" the performance advantage that PS4 had on paper (specifications). He spoke like he knew something we didn't. He didn't, there's a gap in performance there and, ironically, the game in which it's most pronounced is Tomb Raider Definitive Edition which is not only 1080p on PS4 but runs at higher frame rates too.

The misleading Tomb Raider reveal was the last straw. Their messaging has been far more off than on and I'm at the point where I need to see the bullshit disappear before I invest in their product because their record on delivering what they say isn't good.

So you were going to buy a Xbox One for Halo TMCC, but now you are not because of Rise of the Tomb Raider may or may not be exclusive or timed exclusive? OK.

So you were going to buy a Xbox One for Halo TMCC, but now you are not because of Rise of the Tomb Raider may or may not be exclusive or timed exclusive? OK.

Way to completely ignore the whole post and reduce it to a single reason. I thought it was actually one of the better summaries of what this (TR) and other decisions are doing to public perception.

Thanks for not bothering to read my post but still respond. Respect. :rolleyes:

No he wanted to buy a One but Microsoft have constantly and mercilessly changed their direction, vision so he doubts their future.

I generally agree with this sentiment. But then again admittedly I've never been all that hot on MS as a gaming company for this very reason. They're great in other areas and other markets, and they can put out some of the best PC peripheral HW on the market. But as a gaming company you have to adhere to a higher standard and be a lot more transparent before people will buy into your vision. From the very beginning of the Xbox One's reveal their vision just seemed like the most abhorrent to me as a gamer. And whilst they seem to have made some positive moves with the 180s on policy, they still can't seem to get their messaging and strategy right.

Things like this TR deal just go to work against what they tried to achieve with the Spencer change IMHO.

Or people can stop making a big deal about the semantics of exclusivity and actually spend time thinking about something important.
I do spend most of my time thinking about important things, but it's invariably RSPCA territory.

I also argue about less important things, like the effectiveness of PR tactics, because I really really really love arguing.

Well if MS ends up buying Mojang (rumored) I wonder how they will to have word the exclusivityness of minecraft going forward.

If you offer a game digitally on a platform are you obligated to offer it on that platform for the life of that platform? In the past, you could just stop distributing the physical copies and could probably get away with no one noticing. But if it disappear off a digital market, someone will notice.

The next question might end up being, "is it douche baggish to stop supporting a competing platform after you bought the dev that supports it?"

Not a fan of exclusives in general but definitely understand the point and can't begrudge a company for honoring their responsibility to shareholders and trying to improve their platform position by securing differentiators.

By the same token I am certainly sympathetic to the pain they cause. I don't think I'll ever forget when EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL license. It was like they couldn't compete with 2K in making a better game so they pulled out their wallets and cut 2K off at the knees to be able to continue to shovel out Madden crap. Glad the NBA didn't cave, at least they can continue to kick the shit out of them in one sport. :)

Thanks for not bothering to read my post but still respond. Respect. :rolleyes:

I read your post. You mention buying a Xbox One for Halo TMCC right?
Then you go on to list the reasons that you have changed your mind.
All the things you listed happened before Halo Tmcc was anounced at E3 except for the Tomb Raider announcement. So based on your post Rise of the Tomb Raider is the major thing influencing you not purchasing the console. How does that have anything to do with respect? You were still going to buy it despite optional Kinect and despite Albert's PR posts on Gaf, but them aquiring a timed exclusive which would actually benefit your future purchase is what pushes you over the edge. Ok like I said. It is your choice.
Thanks for assuming I didnt read your post and your sarcastic respect.:oops:

Well, your post would suggest that you didn't read his post, since you summed up his reasoning to one point.

Whether or not the other events happened prior to the Halo TMCC announcement is irrelevant. This latest Tomb Raider fiasco is just the one that made him question his XB1 purchase again, in addition to the other reasons.

Way to completely ignore the whole post and reduce it to a single reason. I thought it was actually one of the better summaries of what this (TR) and other decisions are doing to public perception.

Read my reply to Dsoup. I read his post and determined that the other reasons he gave for not purchasing the console all occurred before Halo Tmcc was anounced. So he was willing to forget about those other reasons to play Halo. Thats why I reduced it down to a single reason. As far as how this timed exclusive is hurting public perception goes, I truly dont understand it. It is common practice. UT3 Ps3 says Hi. How about Lost Planet? Hell X1 launch titles Ryse and DR3. Warframe? Minecraft Xbox 360. Titanfall at one time was thought to be timed. Deep down is rumored to be timed. I can keep going.
None of them a big deal. None of them even relevant enough to garner a similar thread to this one. Im sorry I dont share the same view as most of you about this. I just dont see the big deal. I meant no disrespect to Dsoup at all. I would never let something like this keep me from playing any game I really want to play on ANY console.

Instead of worrying about whether the product is actually good and heading in a good direction, everyone is worried about how it is being explained, even though they don't need it explained to them. Everyone hates PR, but for some reason they're really concerned when someone isn't good at it. Pro tip: Don't listen to PR. Just buy shit if you think it's good and fits your needs. Stop pretending to be Mass. Comm. grads. If you think the product isn't good, then don't buy it. Who cares if some of the people don't handle interviews well, unless of course you have financial investments in the company or something. Another pro tip: every single gaming figurehead that does an interview is trying to sell something. You shouldn't listen to any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back