Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, what you're looking at "The Division" tablet app wasn't even shown on the Xbox One. It was shown with the PS4.

If they're going to make the app available on Xbox and Playstation, I think they would be better suited to coming up with their own full stand-alone app instead of relying on the myriad combination of PS4 Remote Rendering or Xbox One Remote Rendering.

Maybe we'll know more if they ever show the tablet having to load up separate versions for PS4 or Xbox One, or if they show a menu asking what game console will you be gaming on (PS4 or Xbox One).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-the-divisions-secret-weapon-is-its-companion-app

yep the multiplatform argument definitely makes sense in support of a dedicated APP doing the rendering... agree there!

A minor note -
The linkedin profile from Vinber Lei was removed after all those dGPU "rumors"...
http://cn.linkedin.com/in/vinberlei

snlW66F.png
Someone asked Penello about the dGPU rumours going round and he didn't confirm them nor denied them! The NDA thing comes from the fact that they had to keep some details on the hardware under wraps -Hotchips-, until they fully disclose the hardware, which is going to happen in late September-early October.

Albert PenelloMS Director of Product PlanningToday, 12:26 AM, Post #542Originally Posted by Krakn3Dfx Are you guys hiding a 2nd discreet GPU in the system that you can't talk about until an NDA with AMD lifts at the end of the month?Heard it on the internet, so it must be true.

I'm not even sure what that's all about. Haven't had time to look into it.

A minor note -
The linkedin profile from Vinber Lei was removed after all those dGPU "rumors"...
http://cn.linkedin.com/in/vinberlei
Let me get this straight. People are trying to parse the English of someone from China who speaks English as a second language and who in this case clearly isn't describing features of any console whether there's a comma or not. :?:

I understand hope is a powerful emotion, but come on people. This has no place in a technical thread nor anywhere really. Whether or not there's a discrete GPU in the console won't be determined from Linked In.

By the way, the profile wasn't removed he probably just changed what was public due to unwanted attention.

Wow I thought the dGPU stuff was long dead but I guess some nonsense is just too ridiculous to die. has anyone looked at the ESRAM b/w numbers in light of the upclock? do they make any more sense now?

Someone asked Penello about the dGPU rumours going round and he didn't confirm them nor denied them! The NDA thing comes from the fact that they had to keep some details on the hardware under wraps -Hotchips-, until they fully disclose the hardware, which is going to happen in late September-early October.
When did they say anything of the sorts at hotchips?
I haven't seen the presentation myself because it's not been released, but that is the first I've heard that.
SHAPE is in the SOC, also wasn't discussed, was that also NDA?
Or did they just choose not to discuss it.
That NDA thing is just a massive leap.

As for the LinkedIn pages, I've seen from developers to CEO's massage the truth on those things. So I wouldn't read to much into that either.

Is it possible maybe, but nothing that has been presented even all together leads to that conclusion.

has anyone looked at the ESRAM b/w numbers in light of the upclock? do they make any more sense now?
Look in the esram astrophysics spin-of thread.

I would interpret his comment as a debunk of this rumor.

So you are saying that there is a dgpu. Which is what occams suggests wrt the LinkedIn profile being removed.

have you seen that episode from southpark about 9/11 where they see the shadow of a zombie and deduce that it's all their fault providing even more "proof" ?

Does dear Occam also deliver an explanation for the >250W voltage regulators on the XB mb for the 100W TDP APU?

It works like this: it's never christmans for you
If the regulators are for 250W there are a tons of explanations that don't need an invisible gpu in the board
It's more difficult explain why ms built a fake board to keep secret the gpu, but failed choosing the regulators

Someone asked Penello about the dGPU rumours going round and he didn't confirm them nor denied them!
Are you suggesting - by using the phrase "the dGPU" - that there is, or at least might be, an additional, discrete GPU in xbone? If you want to answer that question with "yes", then I got news for you.

There's no discrete GPU in xbone.

Why:
* We've seen the motherboard (prototype) with no trace of any dGPU.
* No mention of any dGPU by MS in their reveal presentation, or at E3.
* John Carmack - a man known for never bullshitting - has already said PS4 and xbone are very close, so unless you're saying PS4 also has dGPU then there can't be one in xbone.
Also:
* Cooling vents on the case don't match up with any other major heat-generating device other than the main APU and its single heatsink/fan.

Are you suggesting - by using the phrase "the dGPU" - that there is, or at least might be, an additional, discrete GPU in xbone? If you want to answer that question with "yes", then I got news for you.

There's no discrete GPU in xbone.

Why:
* We've seen the motherboard (prototype) with no trace of any dGPU.
* No mention of any dGPU by MS in their reveal presentation, or at E3.
* John Carmack - a man known for never bullshitting - has already said PS4 and xbone are very close, so unless you're saying PS4 also has dGPU then there can't be one in xbone.
Also:
* Cooling vents on the case don't match up with any other major heat-generating device other than the main APU and its single heatsink/fan.

They think the dGPU is stacked ontop of the original SoC, it also apparantly has stacked GDDR5/DDR3 depending who you talk to, which is also stacked onto of the dGPU. :LOL:

The dgpu rumour is going too far, someone got confused (maybe intentionally) because in his profile he stated that worked in Dgpu, xbox and ps4, and they mixed things up.

Anyway, kudos for the upclock (Both cpu and Gpu), maybe it shows how conservative Ms was with its cooling and case this time and overdesigned Xbox One.

Well past months it´s been a rollercoaster "prwise" with XOne, with both bad and good news, Now it´s clear that the software side its behind, so it seems

Dont interpret this as supporting the dGPU thing, but that can actually be better argued as evidence for the dGPU. On paper we know PS4 was (at the time) ~50% superior in GPU, so for Carmack to say they're nearly equal is probably a bit odd.

OTOH if Carmack knew about this dGPU, then many devs surely would, and we should have gotten leaks.

We are in this weird time for several weeks where everybody assumes XB1 is weaker because of leaked paper specs, but there is no actual proof of that to date. There are no multiplats to compare yet, devs aren't saying what you might expect (like Carmack) or are mum, etc.

We are in this weird time where everybody assumes XB1 is weaker because of leaked paper specs, but there is no actual proof of that to date. There are no multiplats to compare yet, devs aren't saying what you might expect (like Carmack) or are mum, etc.

Everyone is just saying that ON PAPER XBO is weaker...and really it can't be denied.
Real world is another story.

Anyway here's Carmack actual statements:

"We can talk about differences in memory architectures, but the bottom line being that they're a multi-core AMD processor with AMD graphics, is it's almost weird how close they are.
Everyone would like me to come out with some A over B comparison about the two platforms, and to be completely honest I haven't done really rigorous benchmarking on them, so even if I didn't have NDA protection I couldn't give you a really completely honest answer. But they are very close, they're both very good

Last edited by a moderator:
When did they say anything of the sorts at hotchips?

I dont know if they said anything at Hot Chips, but for example this was in a Venturebeat article about Hot Chips

Microsoft disclosed some details but left many important pieces out. Evidently, Microsoft doesn’t want to tell all of its competitors about how well designed its system is.

I dont know if they said anything at Hot Chips, but for example this was in a Venturebeat article about Hot Chips
Their saying what I'm saying, they may not want to share it. It doesn't automatically follow that it's due to there being an NDA.

Doesn't mean there isn't an NDA, but you cant draw that conclusion based on them just not talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back