Xbox 360 and PS3 top graphics

Tlous graphics were overrated on PS3 I feel. It had nice art style but maybe people were thinking the cutscenes were real time when they are actually just video files. They used 4 ps3s connected together as the renderfarm iirc
I am probably minority that thinks PS5 part 1 upgrade was actually really good. Made everything much more graphically consistent and high quality compared to the ps3s low resolution textures and off lighting.

The models in particular got a far more expressive upgrade and the fact the cutscenes were all totally redone in real time as opposed to video files again speaks to some serious effort on the the project

Agree. I think graphics in that game was almost on same level with GoW 3.
I will absolutely disagree. Lords of shadow 1 had great art direction but it doesn't go anywhere close to gow3 especially at the scale of some of those environments in gow3.

Maybe I am a little biased but damn gow3 is burned into my mind as a graphical powerhouse whereas lords of shadow looked nice for a reboot of Castlevania but nothing really special. Basically what you would expect from a AAA project at the time.

I'll always be salty at the lords of shadow franchise as well because I was so hyped for lords of shadow 2 with that spectacular reveal trailer, thinking the actual game was going to look and play like that on the next gen systems. Only to never have a next gen release and be an utter disaster of a game to begin with 😭

Watch it and tell me you don't get hyped. You'd be lying if you say you didnt

I think the problem with those aesthetics, from my point of view, is the castle environments are huge. No mortal castle was ever built to such specifications due to scarcity of materials, manpower and time. Yes of course it's done for gameplay reasons and it's a fantasy setting, but hey...

I think the problem with those aesthetics, from my point of view, is the castle environments are huge. No mortal castle was ever built to such specifications due to scarcity of materials, manpower and time. Yes of course it's done for gameplay reasons and it's a fantasy setting, but hey...
It's draculas castle after all

It's wild that 10 years and 2 console generations later, no other developer has been able to produce an open world that comes close to GTA V.

It's wild that 10 years and 2 console generations later, no other developer has been able to produce an open world that comes close to GTA V.
No one wants to throw piles of cash in furnace 😂

GTA 5 is still by far one of the most expensive games ever created and they spend years creating them. It's like asking why don't other devs just make games like Skyrim when it takes a lot

GTA 5 is still by far one of the most expensive games ever created and they spend years creating them. It's like asking why don't other devs just make games like Skyrim when it takes a lot
A 5 year development period isn’t that long. Wasn’t it established long ago that the marketing budget was the big driver in the game being so expensive to produce? Regardless, the 50x+ increase in computer power and better tools should go a long way to alleviate the difficulty.

A 5 year development period isn’t that long. Wasn’t it established long ago that the marketing budget was the big driver in the game being so expensive to produce? Regardless, the 50x+ increase in computer power and better tools should go a long way to alleviate the difficulty.
Tools and computing power only go so far. The jump from GTA3 to GTA 5 in computing power and tools was immense and far beyond the jump from gta5 to now. but it only necessitated even bigger teams to deal with the complexity of the more in depth systems

Tools and computing power only go so far. The jump from GTA3 to GTA 5 in computing power and tools was immense and far beyond the jump from gta5 to now. but it only necessitated even bigger teams to deal with the complexity of the more in depth systems
The jump from PS2-PS3 is not bigger than the jump from PS3-PS5.

The jump from PS2-PS3 is not bigger than the jump from PS3-PS5.

From a technology point of view PS2-PS3 was much larger.

PS2 was so limited due to it's fixed function nature that pixel shaders and the compute ability of Cell really were massive for game creation.

Some developers (I think DICE were one) were using Cell do modern GPU compute tasks all the way back then.

Some developers (I think DICE were one) were using Cell do modern GPU compute tasks all the way back then.
I remember something like this. But is this true for today's gpus or by modern you mean 2015-2017 gpus?

We can put games by game type. Like first person games, third person games, racing games and gta type games. Because there is big difference. Graphics in GTA V was amazing and was a lot better tgan in other gta type games, but if we compare some games from other game types then I can tell what that games had better graphics.

Tlous graphics were overrated on PS3 I feel. It had nice art style but maybe people were thinking the cutscenes were real time when they are actually just video files. They used 4 ps3s connected together as the renderfarm iirc
Who talked about cutscenes? When was the last time you played some PS3 games and compared them graphically to TLOU? TLOU was not only about artstyle, it was about amount of details and great (for PS3) lighting, next-gen animations, all of the that in a 3rd person shooter.

Well you're partly right here.

GTAV is what it is because Rockstar puts a level of resources(money, manpower, time) into their GTA games that almost nobody else can justify doing. It's a guaranteed billion dollar revenue source, so yea, they can go above and beyond.

Skyrim is not a good example, though. Bethesda was only about 100 employees during Skyrim's development(and while Bethesda Game Studios is a fair bit bigger now, it's still not some Ubisoft-like entity at all). What makes their games special is more their technology and willingness to prioritize things that would be very scary for most any other developer. Plenty of other studios have the same kind of resources that Bethesda have, and the fact that none try and imitate them even with the great success of their games is testament to how special and ultimately underrated BGS really are as a developer(given how much people like to trash on them).

Speaking about Skyrim. That was amazing how big was difference in graphics between Oblivion and Skyrim and Oblivion also had great graphics for 2006. Most important what both games were on same console.

Back