Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes

kinect2 has its own cpu this time i think
8 controllers and 16 connect devices is because of wifi direct

not sure whats impossible about any of that.

yes

kinect2 has its own cpu this time i think
8 controllers and 16 connect devices is because of wifi direct

not sure whats impossible about any of that.

its the processing required ...

not only does the actual GAME need to be processed BUT quite possibly 16 other render targets need to be generated and streamed to 16 smartglass devices ?!

and the input sensor info * 8 controlers + * 16 smartglass devices that also needs processing (cpu or coprocessors) ...

Anyway I know that this is the extreme case BUT im still thinking thru the architecture of writing games for XB1 (im a dev just making sense of this console)...

cpu got a clock increase to 1.75ghz
https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/375020375824150528

its the processing required ...

not only does the actual GAME need to be processed BUT quite possibly 16 other render targets need to be generated and streamed to 16 smartglass devices ?!

and the input sensor info * 8 controlers + * 16 smartglass devices that also needs processing (cpu or coprocessors) ...

Anyway I know that this is the extreme case BUT im still thinking thru the architecture of writing games for XB1 (im a dev just making sense of this console)...

ms has never said they were going to render to 16 devices. they simply said 16 devices smart glass devices can be connected to xbox. they also said in a separate statement that they'll be able to do remote rendering via smartglass.

i dont think the input from controllers is a big deal, ps3 supported 7 controllers because of bt. and lets face it i doubt anyone is going to have 8 controllers activey being used as well as 16 tablets/smartphones.

Don't confuse remote rendering for smartglass.

cpu got a clock increase to 1.75ghz
https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/375020375824150528

ms has never said they were going to render to 16 devices. they simply said 16 devices smart glass devices can be connected to xbox. they also said in a separate statement that they'll be able to do remote rendering via smartglass.

i dont think the input from controllers is a big deal, ps3 supported 7 controllers because of bt. and lets face it i doubt anyone is going to have 8 controllers activey being used as well as 16 tablets/smartphones.

I understand that ... I look at what "The Division" did with their smart glass companion app and think (as a dev) well can I do several of these simultaneously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eImwftBvFI

Its a pretty awesome real-time companion experience with the main game.

Regardless I still stand behind my opinion that there must be so much we still don't know about the Xbox One architecture..

its not basic info... see my post above with link to "The Division" smartglass app

All that processing is done by the tablet device and only the basic game info is sent to/from the tablet. There is no remote rendering being done by Xbox console. Hence your confusion with power requirements.

Think of it like when your playing multiplayer.
Your not rendering the scene for everyone and streaming it out.
Data is sent out and the other clients do the rendering on their end.

Oh answered by BRiT in a much better way than me.

All that processing is done by the tablet device and only the basic game info is sent to/from the tablet. There is no remote rendering being done by Xbox console. Hence your confusion with power requirements.

Are you a dev and with experience in this?

I personally don't know how that would work where the smartglass device does the game rendering .. smartglass needs to work on iPads/Androids/Surfaces etc. and having each of those guaranteeing a level of synchronisity and performance so that the game running on that device is in sync with the game running on the console ... HOW?!

The only way I can see this working is the game is being streamed and presented on the Device.. and all the device is doing is rendering the "pre rendered" texture or surface and responding to user sensory/gesture information then streaming that back to the Xbox One..

I honestly can't see it working the way your saying!

Best known PS4 clock was 1.6 based on the KZ slides. Not a vs comment, but if both CPU are truly identical then it is up to the cooling limits on if it gets the same change.

Durango's CPU side does of the APU does have some enhancements that differentiate it from other Jaguar chips.
If the 10% upclock was arrived at equivalent yields and power, it's a decent indicator of better or improved yields versus any negative rumors.

Coupled with some buffing of the CPU-NB interface and coherent bus, the CPU side of Durango sounds like it has an extra bit of performance to leverage.

If both have the same CPU (even frequency)...

one of the consoles will have CPU issues?
or, one of the consoles will have better CPU power?

What if 1.75Ghz are enough for 1.3tf GPU?

Do we know the PS4 CPU frequency? I guess it is higher than 1.75Ghz.
I'm sure 1.6Ghz would have done just fine. It would have had to :D
It's just imo the cpu was the weakest part in the box, so I was always more curious what the final speed of the cpu was going to end up being.

If the PS4 was at 2.5Ghz+ compared to XB1 then I would've been more worried for the XB1.
Not because of d*ck waving, but due to multiplatform titles.

Best known PS4 clock was 1.6 based on the KZ slides. Not a vs comment, but if both CPU are truly identical then it is up to the cooling limits on if it gets the same change.

Sony have not had the same PR motivation to push up, and mention it, so may not bother if there was a cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back