Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Love_In_Rio, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nisaaru

Regular

Wait a moment. Do you want to imply that a smartglass device runs a "cut down" version of the game(The Division in this context) which covers top down drone perspective and they only sync the positions of dynamic elements? That's hard to believe because a 2nd render target sounds far less complex.

2. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

As far as we know it's 1.6Ghz.

I was just making a point that I wasn't worried about 1.6Ghz, as the PS4 wouldn't have a massive CPU advantage anyway.

3. XpiderMX

Veteran

Ok, sorry, I was confused because the PS4 FCC information (something like 2Ghz max).

4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

That's really good news -eastmen, (((interference))) and Term were right- and just one step further to 60 fps. I think we are going to see more and more 60 fps on the Xbox One now than before.

I remember sebbbi mentioning that most games were CPU limited when it came to framerate.

5. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

FCC stuff was either gddr speed or WiFi clock, not sure anymore which, was not CPU.

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I suppose that it depends on the companion app. What makes the most sense to me is to have what's needed for the companion apps in the companion app and just co-ordinate the information sent between them. As a developer you create your API/Interface and stick to that and let the client side deal with client-side quirks and issues. Afterall, this is likely similar to how Bungie/Halo3 does all the game recording for years now and allows for various playback options via the website rendering.

Otherwise you have the console having to be coded for all the various incantations/combinations of the tablet display resolutions -- 480p, 800x600 ish, 1024x768 ish, 720p, 1080p, and retina displays. When a new tablet/second screen device is made then you have to patch the console code to handle it? That seems the wrong way to handle it.

7. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I would have to go look at the vid, only remember it from E3 I think it was.
    Anyway, regardless it's a game design decision, and you would only make a game that was able to perform how you required up to the designated amount of smatglass apps.

If you really needed that many smartglass apps, then you would choose your engine appropriately. e.g. unity that is supported on most tablets etc, and send the data for it to render it.

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79834129#post79834129

Penello also said on Neogaf that developers should start seeing the boost soon.

After boosting the GPU speed from 800MHz to 853MHz, and now this performance boost in the CPU side, this can make a difference years from now when developers are going to be trying to get every last ounce of performance out of the console.

9. expletive

Veteran

Are you also factoring in the audio hardware or is this extra not even counting that yet?

10. ProjectNatalFan

Newcomer

great news, will probably help in the 8th year down the line lol. anyway, Charlie was wrong with the 1.9. I cant take him seriously anymore.

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

First, the companion app. for The Division is not Microsoft's Smartglass, technically, although it may receive information through the same API.

Second, because of that, the companion app. is quite likely a stand alone application that can render the game world on a support smartphone/tablet.

In other words, it is similar to multiplayer in online games with each device rendering their own scenes and the only information that is exchanged is player locations, facing, weapon's fire, etc.

Except in this case the gameplay is asynchronous, in that the people playing via the companion application are playing a Top Down isometric version of the game rather than a FPS version of the game. Along with that also comes a more limited RTS like control scheme.

Basically, the companion app. is just that. It's an actual smartphone/tablet version of The Division complete with it's own rendering engine, textures, control scheme, camera view, etc. None of which is being rendered on the Xbox One.

Regards,
    SB

12. liquidboy

Regular Newcomer

I understand that it can be either a full app rendering on the device, or the xbox doing the rendering.. Debate is still out on which way smartglass apps support (unless you have inside knowledge)

http://en.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1kziiw/possible_smartglass_remote_play_sorry_if_this_has/

p.s. I'm leaning on the Xbox one rendering textures and sending those over wifidirect to the connected device (along with other metadata) ...

The smartglass sdk hopefully will be open to indie devs, I want to get my hands on this distributed app framework!

btw in the example of "The Division" .. it looked like the SAME FULL CONSOLE GAME was running on the "smartglass" enabled tablet app. I doubt the tablet app had the power to run that game, hence why I believe its just a texture being streamed from the xb1 to the tablet and only sensor/gesture information being sent back/forth!

Also project spark and other games with smartglass companion apps that behave the same as "the division" with mirrored UI on the tablet also leads me to think that its streaming textures from xb1 to device..

#6072 liquidboy, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  13. Rangers

Legend

Yes I saw I think Scott Wassen from Tech Report (a bit of an outsiders view compared to us) the other day saying he worried the single thread performance of these consoles could become a problem for game advancement in the long run. It makes sense. They are light CPU's and clocked low. They are eons better than last gen CPU but that doesn't mean they are good compared to the current pantheon.

Parallelising is good and all but on PC, games are among the most single-thread limited code around (hence why AMD CPU's with lots of cores but weak single thread tend to do so poorly in gaming benches when they often do much better in general benchmarks).

So all that to say any upclock here is most welcome.

14. SanGreal

Regular

I don't know about the division, but while Smartglass 1.0 worked the way you describe (standalone html5 apps that communicated with the xbox over the internet through a limited api), the Xbox One iteration does support rendering the app on the console. It's described by vgleaks here: http://www.vgleaks.com/use-your-mobile-or-tablet-with-durango-xbox-companion/

15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

In the division it's nothing but a fairly basic top-down view of the world. That is very basic. Nothing in that even showed half of what a tablet is capable of running.

I suggest you take a look at the PS Vita game Killzone Mercanary or what a Tegra3 powered tablet like the Nvidia Shield can run to get a proper idea of just what those devices are capable of rendering The Division tablet app seems laughable to me from a graphics perspective of what it's rendering.

16. DrJay24

Veteran

Of course all who are looking at the performance will say that, but the moment someone's XB1 dies, they will blame the two upclocks and it will become an internet headline.

17. 2real4tv

Veteran

Did they ever announce the clock speed of the CPU?

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Also, what you're looking at "The Division" tablet app wasn't even shown on the Xbox One. It was shown with the PS4.

If they're going to make the app available on Xbox and Playstation, I think they would be better suited to coming up with their own full stand-alone app instead of relying on the myriad combination of PS4 Remote Rendering or Xbox One Remote Rendering.

Maybe we'll know more if they ever show the tablet having to load up separate versions for PS4 or Xbox One, or if they show a menu asking what game console will you be gaming on (PS4 or Xbox One).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-the-divisions-secret-weapon-is-its-companion-app

19. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It's only considering the CPUs and the data paths that feed them.

20. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

:lol:
    Even if they are unrelated.
    People really don't understand the difference between upclock and overclock. If the machines fail, they would still have failed without the upclocks (in 95% of the time)

Only when they announced the upclock. That relates to both times. (CPU & GPU)

#6080 Jay, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.