First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

I keep hearing the '500 lights' bullet point (pun intended) constantly being brought up, but from the videos so far, it doesn't seem like it has much impact on the look of the game at all. Can sombody point me to a screeshot/screen grab of a scene with '500 llights'?

As developers themselves said, the 500 lightsources you are referring to are distribuited in the entire level, so their statement has nothing to do with the number of lightsources calculated at a time (wich should be around 100).

Last edited by a moderator:
the 500 lightsources in a level they refer to are shadow casting lightsources, theres prolly a higher number of non shadow casting lights in the level, who knows how many are gonna be onscreen at once i guess from 3->25

if u check out my game theres typically 3->20 lights onscreen (all cast shadows), a couple of vids on my site

That image shows how the game without post processing looks like - so you'll never see that stuff in game...
you're wrong, the devs said the effect is totally adjustable depends what they need for the level. so there's no reason they wont adjust the setting for the final game. either way we will see quality like that pic at some point in the game.

You're getting ridiculous. I wasn't saying anything bad yet you already jump to the game's 'defense'... same with Lair...

You're getting ridiculous. I wasn't saying anything bad yet you already jump to the game's 'defense'... same with Lair...
geez, you need to relax. i didnt attack you in any way, just validating my point coz i saw that dev walkthrough.
you sir on the other hand need to stop attack me with comment like this.
"one can't say anything here without stepping on the toe of some f****y?"

peace.

To be fair ultragpu, you are being ridiculous ;)

you're wrong, the devs said the effect is totally adjustable depends what they need for the level. so there's no reason they wont adjust the setting for the final game. either way we will see quality like that pic at some point in the game.
You say flat out that Laa-Yosh is wrong and then explain why he's absolutely wrong with a reference to some dubious thinking - the developers created this post-processing effect but maybe they'll turn it off in the game...

Okay, I guess what you meant to say was other levels will likely not have the same post-processing and will maintain the draw depth and complexity, although the debate prior to this was more about artwork and what looks good. Technical complexity is a moot point because whether the post-processing is applied or not, that image you linked to is being rendered. It's just in the current default settings it is then adjusted to be darker.

But this whole bit of thread has been a bit flabby. People haven't explained clearly whether they're talking about technical merit or artistic merit, or pointing out what in a screenshot 'looks good' such that it is keen to be seen at that level in whatever rendering. Thus at the very best, people are bound to be talking at cross-purposes. If you had taken the time to say what in that screenshot makes it look good to you, and had fleshed out your 'you're wrong' response with some reasoning why the devs would adjust their excellent post-processing algorithms to achieve whatever-it-is you are liking in that pic, we wouldn't have had this last page of bickering.

I won't clean up the thread as it's addressed in this post (though another mod might like a neater forum than I), and hopefully seen together will all explain how discussion can be handled more successfully. However, bickering and follow ups aren't appreciated. If someone's posting insults, use the Report button and let the mods decided how to follow it up. Or take it to PM (yes, please take it to PM!). Don't partake in arguments that aren't discussing the game.

Not to defend anyone in here, but I personally think ultragpu should have worded it a bit different (perhaps a bit in a more diplomatic tone) and Laa-Yosh definately needs to be a bit less defensive.

I think the whole point ultragpu was trying to point out was that the devs stated that the post-processing effects can be dynamically influenced during gameplay to achieve the kind of mood or look that they feel is right for that particular moment. Given how good the game already looks in the gameplay footage I've seen, I don't there's much in it to change for those particular levels. Perhaps in other levels, other settings will be applied - but on the whole, it already looks brilliant.

As for the technical merits of the game - given how flexible the engine is to achieve such stunning visuals is an impressive feat. Is there really more to say about it?

It was cited as an example to showcase KZ2's dynamic lighting. I believe someone also mentioned he likes the scene best, artistically, because it does not have post processing (Can see more colors !).

In my view, that photograph does not show any life or motion, so we can't really see much. The real game should show even more real-time lighting. I thought the landing trailer is a good example (The one that halts and pans the level before landing).

Now if they include a chase/hunting level from the low-flying platform like the proverbial helicopter vs car/human chase in Hollywood movies, then the shot may have more context. But that's a different story altogether. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
That screenshot people are arguing about looked meh to me.

What was so special about it?

on what level?

From an artistic level the game is creme de la creme. Technically, it's no slouch either. ;)

(plus I really really like the game environment they're creating) :p

That screenshot people are arguing about looked meh to me.

What was so special about it?

Nice to see many dynamic lights in a console game, It´s pretty standard to me but it´s nice to see that console games are heading at the right direction.
But I got to say that the pic UltraGPU posted was not so enjoyable, I could see many lights but that was all (maybe it was just a bad pic), I need to see more, something new.
But then again when is it coming out? Not this year which means that they have many months to continue with their game.
And I also think it´s very good that they are working with the A.I. because IMO A.I. is very important (I do not want to feel that enemy is just being there to get killed I want the enemy A.I. to act like a enemy person, fight and do all he can to survive at the same time:smile:, yes I´m a badboy:LOL:.

That picture is without post processing. So if you hate their choice of post-processing effect, then you certainly won't see anything better than that pic. Or even as 'good' as.
Well, hate.., not exactly Shifty. It makes me "sad" to see those grey tones in games. Deferred rendering sounds amazing from a technical point of view but it seems to me that colour is the sacrificial lamb here.

Laa-Yosh wrote
That image shows how the game without post processing looks like - so you'll never see that stuff in game...
What do you mean by post-processing? Does it mean that the image isn't realtime then? What a shame because it is an awesome pic, pure ng beauty.

Since Gerrilla's developers are german -therefore they are talented- and they redeemed themselves with Killzone: Liberation, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers

Well, hate.., not exactly Shifty. It makes me "sad" to see those grey tones in games. Deferred rendering sounds amazing from a technical point of view but it seems to me that colour is the sacrificial lamb here.

What do you mean by post-processing? Does it mean that the image isn't realtime then? What a shame because it is an awesome pic, pure ng beauty.
Okay, you're missing some fundamental knowledge here! Deferred rendering hasn't made everything grey. They could render all the colours of the rainbow in their game if they chose to. The reason it's 'grey' is because it's set in a gritty, industrialized planet ravaged by unpleasant weather. It's purely an artistic choice.

Post-processing is further processing of an image after it's rendered. If you take a photo in photoshop and do a colour balance and increase the contrast, you've applied a post-processing effect. Any image effect applied after the rendering is a post-process, from adding blurs and heat haze to colour adjusts and lens flares. KZ2 is rendering and post-processing in realtime. The image you like so much is the product of the deferred rendering engine but before the post-processing effects are applied. These effects tone down the colour and reduce visibility to try and capture the feeling of a gritty industrialized world ravaged by stormy weather. And as an art choice it makes sense, no? You're probably not likely to pop outside and paint you houses in Mediterranean hues if it's always grey and raining. We certainly don't in the UK! The interior decor I presume is explained somewhere in the story. There must be a reason this city is in a state of disrepair. My guess is they want the player to see the grotty lifestyle that the Helghast have to put up with. There's presumably some reason they don't have cut flowers and oil-paintings on the walls to liven the place up.

At the end of the day, KZ just isn't for you. No game suits everyone, indeed most games only appeal to a small percentage of the market. If you want colourful, there's Viva Pinata and Locoroco

...If you want colourful, there's ...

The great divide of colorful saturated vs gritty desaturated realistic ...

Personally I think there's room for both. :D

But generally speaking, saturated colors don't mix well when trying to represent a realistic setting. Example: "Just Cause"

It can be done though, one of the nicest things about Bioshock was it's use of colour.

Agreed, but I wouldn't call their colors "saturated".

One big reason why a game setting like this war torn KZ2 would have a lack of color would be due to the dust and debris that would be all over the surfaces of everything in such a situation as a war torn city. Dust/smoke/ash covers surfaces and reduces reflection and color. Now if we put Mario Sunshine in this environment he'd clean it up and we'd see what's underneath all that ash. :p

I hope in one of the future Halo spinoff games (Halo prequel?) they use a style/renderer similar to this to bring the Halo universe a bit closer to reality. Then again it would lose it's character with the aliens and such ... meh, they've had enough of the cartoony anyway, bring on the realism!

Can't wait to play this game.

Back