Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Runs the same for everyone. I admit they're adjusting that with x/s and running older games. But still a narrow band vs. what you might see on pc.
Yeah, the "it runs the same for everybody" ship sailed in 2016 with PS4 Pro and 2017 with One X. But they could lock in fixed profiles according to your hardware specification - minimum hardware specifications required*.

interesting tests for power consumption and heating. Under 200watts in all games , Horizon 5 is 153 watts max power consumption.

I do wonder if microsoft left the bottom more airflow friendly and the stand easily removable , that a bottom fan add on wouldn't help keep the whole thing cooler.

Sometime you'd need to let go. One S and other 2013 hardware/previous gen hw has to be abandoned sometime.
I wonder when it will be mandated. On PC, for instance, there can be games released now that just happen to run fine on a Core2, for instance. Maybe they aren't tested on one, but might be perfectly playable. This would just be a case where the CPU requirements are really low and it doesn't use any instructions that modern CPUs have. On Xbox, you would have to explicitly support the Xbox One generation. So if a game was made in a few years that would run perfectly fine on One hardware, would Microsoft allow it? It would have to pass certification and the dev kits would have to still support the old hardware. Microsoft will probably stop certifying games for One hardware long before it's potential for running visual novels and card games is fully tapped out. It's just a question of when.

Xbox 360's last game was released a year after the Xbox One X came out. (Not related, I just wanted to point it out.)

With Xbox One, they will only need to retire hardware-compatible games, since those machines can run XCloud games for a long time to come. Microsoft definitely wants everyone on a subscription service instead of owning anything. I expect them to put an end to 8th Gen compatible games as soon as XCloud seems like it's going to work "well enough". Could be very soon.

On Xbox, you would have to explicitly support the Xbox One generation. So if a game was made in a few years that would run perfectly fine on One hardware, would Microsoft allow it? It would have to pass certification and the dev kits would have to still support the old hardware. Microsoft will probably stop certifying games for One hardware long before it's potential for running visual novels and card games is fully tapped out. It's just a question of when.
The development kit is current dev kit with profile setting and will likely be the case going forward, so that's not a problem.
The only thing MS would need to do is keep the certification going, and I see little reason why not.

Going forward this isn't like previous gens, now if a game gets released on a XO then it would still be compatible with any later console.

Benefits for MS, can host 4 versions of the game on the xcloud blade, XO & 1X will use less energy running on cloud.

Example if a game is a bitmap indie game then it's not being held back.
Not something that needs to be worried about for this or possibly even next gen, until devs just naturally stop releasing for it.
MS can just put the XO into legacy standing with no active development on the SDK.

I finally managed to grab one from amazon thanks to the DealsFoundry twitter account, I'm loving it so far but I have to get used to the system menu.

Playing Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 and being able to jump back and forth to my PC is a great experience :smile:

Last edited:
Having used the system for a couple days now I can say the number 1 most annoying thing is how unresponsive the menu feels (idk if it's framerate or something else but there's a bit of chunkiness to it), apart from that it's all been great.

I'm a big fan of how you can simply upload videos/screenshots and then share them via the Xbox app, that all works so seamlessly, it's very impressive!

I also really like the controller, it's much better than the Xbox One I have for my PC (the non-Bluetooth one), enough to make me consider buying the Elite 2.

I also really like the controller, it's much better than the Xbox One I have for my PC (the non-Bluetooth one), enough to make me consider buying the Elite 2.

I recently moved across to the XSX controller from the One controller on my PC but thought they were very similar tbh. I found it more of a subtle enhancement.

Your Series X controller should work on your PC too btw as it doesn't need a dongle like the older controllers and just connects over standard Bluetooth.

Isn't the elite 2 closer to XO controller than XS, as the elite controllers haven't been updated since release of current gen.

Isn't the elite 2 closer to XO controller than XS, as the elite controllers haven't been updated since release of current gen.

You are right, the Elite 2 was released almost a year before the Series Xbox consoles :smile:
I recently moved across to the XSX controller from the One controller on my PC but thought they were very similar tbh. I found it more of a subtle enhancement.

Your Series X controller should work on your PC too btw as it doesn't need a dongle like the older controllers and just connects over standard Bluetooth.

I think the difference in material was a big improvement, it feels much better imo (especially in extended gaming sessions). The d-pad is also quite a bit better. I wouldn't say it's as big an improvement as DS4 to DualSense but it was immediately noticeable for me. And yup, I plan to use this for PC as it's more widely supported and can easily swap between Xbox and PC without disconnecting reconnecting :yep2:

You are right, the Elite 2 was released almost a year before the Series Xbox consoles :smile:

I think the difference in material was a big improvement, it feels much better imo (especially in extended gaming sessions). The d-pad is also quite a bit better. I wouldn't say it's as big an improvement as DS4 to DualSense but it was immediately noticeable for me. And yup, I plan to use this for PC as it's more widely supported and can easily swap between Xbox and PC without disconnecting reconnecting :yep2:

If the D-Pad is important to you then you'll absolutely like the Elite Controllers. Build quality on those are a very noticeable step up from the controllers that are included with the consoles. Customizability is also quite excellent. Especially being able to alter the height of the analog stick. Altering them to be taller makes it easier for me to make small adjustments with the analog sticks (easier to use in driving games and flight sims). I generally dislike using console controllers, but the Elite controller that I have makes it tolerable.

Regards,
SB

Back