Xbox June Showcase 2024 (June 9th 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST)

During the actiblizz Xbox acquisition, one of the leaked documents had the series lifetime sale expectations. It was around 58 milion if I remember right. At the pace it's going it will barely reach 40 milion lifetime.
Not at all. They're already at 30 million or so. They're on track for 50 million by 2028 which is the date the document said. So off from 58 to 50. Not good, but not catastrophic. That's a media invention.
And Mat Piscatella reporting 2024 growth for subscription of 1% so far.
But he doesn't know anything. That's the problem.

Not at all. They're already at 30 million or so. They're on track for 50 million by 2028 which is the date the document said. So off from 58 to 50. Not good, but not catastrophic. That's a media invention.

But he doesn't know anything. That's the problem.
Unless they stop the YOY declines, they are not reaching 50 millions. And with Switch 2 coming...

About Piscatella, of course he knows those things, he is the director of the NPD. If game pass reached 40 milions or 50 millions they would say it.

Unless they stop the YOY declines, they are not reaching 50 millions. And with Switch 2 coming...

About Piscat
I think they can sell another 20 million units over the next 4.5 years. Switch 2 isn't going to mean anything to Xbox One owners.
ella, of course he knows those things, he is the director of the NPD. If game pass reached 40 milions or 50 millions they would say it.
Yeah, but if they were at 35 million he might not know it. Which would be 15% subscriber growth, so he basically doesn't know.

NPD has never been more irrelevant today. Until tomorrow, when it will be even more irrelevant.

I think they can sell another 20 million units over the next 4.5 years. Switch 2 isn't going to mean anything to Xbox One owners.

Yeah, but if they were at 35 million he might not know it. Which would be 15% subscriber growth, so he basically doesn't know.

NPD has never been more irrelevant today. Until tomorrow, when it will be even more irrelevant.
In my eyes, switch 2 is going to be the best selling console of all time, so directly or indirectly it's going to affect both Sony and Microsoft.

Gamepass was at 34 milion, thanks to live users becoming gamepass core users, so that double digit growth is maybe that?

Also, I mean, NPD IS reliable, so I don't know why you are doubting that. Is Xbox and gamepads secretly doing amazing numbers unbeknownst to everyone? :unsure:

Another 10-12m for the current Xbox gen is what Iā€™d consider reasonable. Thatā€™s with aggressive price cuts from this holidays season onwards.

In my eyes, switch 2 is going to be the best selling console of all time, so directly or indirectly it's going to affect both Sony and Microsoft.
Maybe indirectly, but I don't know any Xbox lover who is going to buy a Switch 2 instead of an Xbox Next. Not gonna happen.
Also, I mean, NPD IS reliable, so I don't know why you are doubting that. Is Xbox and gamepads secretly doing amazing numbers unbeknownst to everyone? :unsure:
Not really. Digital sales are huge now and NPD can't track them. MS has half the console sales and the same profits as Sony. Something's up.

Another 10-12m for the current Xbox gen is what Iā€™d consider reasonable. Thatā€™s with aggressive price cuts from this holidays season onwards.
So you think they'll hit 40 million and I think they'll hit 50 million Series sales. Time will tell. :)

If the games showcased on Sunday turn out as well as hoped, we're about to find out if AAA games can drive Series sales and GP subscriptions.

Last edited:
Not really. Digital sales are huge now and NPD can't track them. MS has half the console sales and the same profits as Sony. Something's up.
NPD can absolutely track Xbox and playstation digital sales. If they didn't they're data would actually be useless. They don't track Nintendo for some reason.

F6iusb-XoAAv6FS.jpeg

As far as profits go, I could only find some articles from September 2023 with leaked numbers from the actiblizz acquisition. The articles got edited afterwards because they contained wrong info (so the image above is wrong.)

"Yes, per testimony: Sony's gross margin and absolute profit "is nearly 2x what Microsoft makes".

Directly from the trials.

Since Xbox doesn't release profit numbers normally, the latest numbers we have are revenues amounting to 30 billion for playstation and 18 billion for Xbox-activision-bethesda in the latest quarter.

And many games run better on Xbox Series X, especially titles based on more modern engines like Avatar or AW2, and I'm also sure that MS titles that will be multiplatform on the current generation consoles will run better on Xbox hardware .

Starfield will remain on Xbox, Grandmaster Spencer made this clear. Maybe you will get a couple of multiplatform games for PS anyway, and one or two bones.
Are you sure? All former Xbox exclusives like HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves have better performance and or graphics on PS5.
Starfield was kind of a critical flop, they will be releasing on PS5 to made up for losses I am sure

Are you sure? All former Xbox exclusives like HiFi Rush and Sea of Thieves have better performance and or graphics on PS5.
Starfield was kind of a critical flop, they will be releasing on PS5 to made up for losses I am sure
lol. This hyperbolic stretch of the truth.

Is that worth 500 bucks for 1-2 years?
It is much worse than you can imagine;
It is closer to 200 bucks actually, and the worst part; it creates another person buying games on PS5 In the process;
In the scenario that you sell your old PS5 for 300 dollars. Now there are 2 people buying games on PS5 and potentially subscribing to PS+ as well
Also the value of competing platforms becomes less, for about the same price they offer worse graphics.
People upgrading from Xbox One X/S or PS4/pro will probably not go with the slower platform with the worse* exclusives and graphics

*metacritic and game of the year

it seems that the Xbox is going to have another good show in the Gamescom of this year.

To be fair, this has been the promise since the Xbox One launch especially those MS journalists hyping it up

To be fair, this has been the promise since the Xbox One launch especially those MS journalists hyping it up

You mean Series launch?

That's fair. It's always been sound speculation though, based on existing studios' due games, new studios they've bought and publishing deals.

Covid, lengthening development times and some unexpected critical misses mean it's not happened. Except this showing was finally that sort of speculation bearing fruit. Although given the 2025 release dates you can argue we're still 2-3 years behind the release curve we should have expected.

Despite a crammed 'e3' show, MS didn't show a lot based on studios and expected development times. It's easy to throw out that MS have more in the pipeline. They do.

You mean Series launch?

That's fair. It's always been sound speculation though, based on existing studios' due games, new studios they've bought and publishing deals.

Covid, lengthening development times and some unexpected critical misses mean it's not happened. Except this showing was finally that sort of speculation bearing fruit. Although given the 2025 release dates you can argue we're still 2-3 years behind the release curve we should have expected.

Despite a crammed 'e3' show, MS didn't show a lot based on studios and expected development times. It's easy to throw out that MS have more in the pipeline. They do.
I meant the past decade

Back