Xbox June Showcase 2024 (June 9th 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST)

What's curious to me is the comment at the end about next gen. I guess the rumour about 2026 is true. Ehh I don't know about this strategy :rolleyes:

They put themselves in the corner with their multiplatform strategy. Whatever year they go for, they need keep stressing that they're committed to Xbox hardware and the longevity of customers' libraries.

Spencer's confirmed the handheld. Does that launch on it's own or alongside the next X|S variants in 2026? (who knows at this point)

After seeing the games and with the confidence I have in The Coalition, I'm starting to think the X is powerful enough to delivery visually stunning games for a couple more years, though personally I would welcome new hardware any time. :)

I realize it's a controversial thing around here, but I believe they have the first party teams to launch new hardware whenever they want and 2026 seems to be when they think the tech leap will be enough to justify it. If Sony brings a Pro out this year, that's a little longer than I would have recommended to be at a power deficit to PS, but maybe people are so locked into their respective ecosystems that it doesn't matter.

As for pricing: I think they are leaving some wiggle room for sales and until a PS5 Pro comes out at some great price I don't think they need to bother with price cuts just yet. Either the games/GP are going to sell the consoles or they're not. I think MS believes that growth in Series sales is mainly going to come from Xbox One owners that haven't upgraded and that they've shown enough great stuff to justify the leap into this generation. They can always reduce as needed before the holidays.

So If I saw things correctly:

2024: Hellblade 2, Indiana Jones, Avowed, FS 2024, CoD, Sea of Thieves Season 13, Starfield Shattered Space, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2, Age of Mythology, Fallout 76 Skyline Valley, Diablo IV Vessel of Hatred
2025: Doom: DA, State of Decay 3, Fable, South of Midnight, CoD (probably), GaaS content
2026: Gears E-Day, Clockwork Revolution, Perfect Dark, CoD (probably), GaaS content

I'm sure we haven't seen everything yet either.

Spencer's confirmed the handheld. Does that launch on it's own or alongside the next X|S variants in 2026? (who knows at this point)
If I was betting, the "Xbox handheld" is a Surface team built PC that has a custom interface and steamdeck style controllers built in. So it would run PC Gamepass which removed the responsibility from developers to ensure their game is specifically optimized, and the Xbox app will have a "Deck Verified" style badge that lets you know a game will run great the system. So a handheld PC with a more Xbox style interface.

DOOM looks amazing as expected. Can't wait for this one, literally the only game I can look forward to these days.
Doom looks very good as usual. I expected it to be based on medieval times though. A Doom in the medieval era would be very original, maybe they just have Hexen and Heretic for that, but still...

Another favourite of mine has been Clair Obscur: Expedition 33, and finally Perfect Dark.

Last edited:
Perfect Dark looks amazing. And as I see it, the gameplay is at a surprisingly good level, it will probably be released in 2025.

Perfect Dark looks amazing. And as I see it, the gameplay is at a surprisingly good level, it will probably be released in 2025.

They'd have put a 2025 card up if that was likely. It's really not clear how cohesive that level is if you were playing it in a freeform way. Given the title's development woes, this might be the first bit of content that is anywhere near final.

If I was betting, the "Xbox handheld" is a Surface team built PC that has a custom interface and steamdeck style controllers built in. So it would run PC Gamepass which removed the responsibility from developers to ensure their game is specifically optimized, and the Xbox app will have a "Deck Verified" style badge that lets you know a game will run great the system. So a handheld PC with a more Xbox style interface.

Did he say “we are going to reveal our handheld at a later date“
or was it the usual Phil-speak?

If they had something in development he would have said so right?
I would really like a Xbox handheld if it meant most of my games work without needing to invent in steam or mess with weird windows performance

That was quite frankly an amazing showcase from Xbox. TONS of games I'm looking forward to. Great pacing as well. Healthy mix of updates on announced games, new announcements/premieres, and titles of all budgets.

Absolutely loved the Gears of War: E-Day trailer and that they're telling this story now. While it was kind of disappointing for me because I really wanted to see a real-time cutscene running on hardware.. I have a feeling it's not going to be too far off from what what shown here. They've already confirmed this trailer uses the in game effects, assets, and models from the actual game.. so we know it's going to look insane.

I'm just very impressed all around. Tons of great games coming. Next year is looking to be craaazy.

They'd have put a 2025 card up if that was likely. It's really not clear how cohesive that level is if you were playing it in a freeform way. Given the title's development woes, this might be the first bit of content that is anywhere near final.
There is plenty of time until November 2025. Either this or Gears, one of them is sure to come out next year.

Enjoyed the show. Xbox shows been getting better and better

I don't know if they've dropped it or not.
Or do you think they just leave 5 ended the way it does (not played it but know theres 2 endings)
I hope they have gears ED and a 6.

@eastmen
As for it potentially coming 2025, very much doubt it. If it was they would've said, so I wouldn't expect it before 2026.
It's not like they've been shy just putting year even for things coming this year.

Hopefully they will start spreading things through the year because they haven't got to that point yet.

maybe , we could get a date at the game awards or even next year at their Feb show case.

The ftc leak showed a disappointing refresh with minor changes, instead of a midgen.
The real product was able to be disappointing even compared to the refresh.
The 2tb machine and digital machine being similar may mean they are moving forward with a new generation sooner vs a refresh.

Putting out a refresh in 2024 and a new console in 25/26 is 32x/saturn levels of stupid.

Yes. Given where software development is at and the visuals we are seeing with Fable, Perfect Dark, and apparently Gears E-Day (rumors) it makes sense to just put out new hardware in 2026 now. Likely the only game that's going to matter running better on the PS5 Pro is GTA VI and by the end of 2025 MS will be able to say that it will run "even better" on their upcoming 2026 machine. Good enough, I think.

Thing I was hoping for was, talk about drip feeding ABK catalog onto GP. With enhanced BC for some titles like LOD bias changes, XSS upping 1S resolution, etc

Was also hoping the consoles would get frequency pushed up. So just ups input resolution on DRS, better fps etc. Thought there could be possibility, but knew they may not deem it as even worth bothering.

I realize it's a controversial thing around here
But it shouldn’t be.
People have a biased POV of Xbox performance based off a bunch of cross platform multi generation titles rushed through the covid era with a lot of bolt on features to drive hype or make up for that lack of optimization.

We are now actually seeing next gen performance as the platform holders intended next gen to look and perform. It takes a while with such large games to move everything to very modern rendering pipelines.

Doom looks very good as usual. I expected it to be based on medieval times though. A Doom in the medieval era would be very original, maybe they just have Hexen and Heretic for that, but still...

Another favourite of mine has been Clair Obscur: Expedition 33, and finally Perfect Dark.

I was a bit disappointed it wasn't slightly more gothic/medieval, it feels a bit more like Doom Eternal with some level art swapped out. Ohwell, still fun.

The funny bit I'd say is how old Call of Duty looks now compared to next gen only Doom. Even the amount of money being thrown at it can't keep CoD from looking blocky and outdated in comparison, feel like Call of Duty is a bit lucky no one decided to try for a next gen only "Call of Duty killer" release over the last year or two. Feels like one of the audiences where a significant enough portion would notice dramatic differences in visuals is the Call of Duty crowd.

Lack of a mid gen refresh is exciting news to me. The fundamentals of the hardware is just too old. Start new and make it good and drop the S series. No need to handicap a new platform day 1 again.

After seeing the games and with the confidence I have in The Coalition, I'm starting to think the X is powerful enough to delivery visually stunning games for a couple more years, though personally I would welcome new hardware any time. :)
it is. They don't need a mid-gen refresh, and in fact it'd be counter productive for Xbox --a couple of gamers might get it but the rest won't. For a console like the PS5 it's the same case, PS5 is powerful enough to last a few years, but in this case the PS5 Pro doesn't present a risk, it will increase the sales of PS5 'cos the vanilla PS5 is going to drop in price and many core gamers are going to buy it, or future PS5 users might prefer to start with a PS5 Pro instead of vanilla PS5.

Phil pretty much confirmed that there won't be a new mid-gen Xbox, and I think he is making a cutting remark about the PS5 Pro in this video -it should start where he comments that-.

it is. They don't need a mid-gen refresh, and in fact it'd be counter productive for Xbox --a couple of gamers might get it but the rest won't. For a console like the PS5 it's the same case, PS5 is powerful enough to last a few years, but in this case the PS5 Pro doesn't present a risk, it will increase the sales of PS5 'cos the vanilla PS5 is going to drop in price and many core gamers are going to buy it, or future PS5 users might prefer to start with a PS5 Pro instead of vanilla PS5.

Phil pretty much confirmed that there won't be a new mid-gen Xbox, and I think he is making a cutting remark about the PS5 Pro in this video -it should start where he comments that-.

”not slimy platform things where I force you to do what I want you to do“

Lol Starfield PS5 anyone?

Lack of a mid gen refresh is exciting news to me. The fundamentals of the hardware is just too old. Start new and make it good and drop the S series. No need to handicap a new platform day 1 again.
I am not too sure about that, we already have many games running better on PS5, and that is supposedly inferior, slower hardware compared to series x. No Xbox Series X Pro console would mean that until 2026, every single multiplatform title will look, run and play better on PS5 Pro (gyro, haptics, graphics)
That is not a good look for Xbox and it would remind me of the awful PS4 days where me and other xbox fans dreaded every DF video

this is probably the first videogame I've seen where videogames and cinema finally merge. The grenade scene made me laugh, but it looks like you are watching an actual movie, not a videogame. Not because of the graphics -though facial expressions are surprisingly very real life actors like-, but because it looks more like those scenes are from a movie and not a videogame. Also, yeah, the scenes are really a copycat of what you'd expect from an actual Indiana Jones movie.

Back