Xbox June Showcase 2024 (June 9th 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST)

Starfield was kind of a critical flop
Not at all. https://www.metacritic.com/game/starfield/

To be fair, this has been the promise since the Xbox One launch especially those MS journalists hyping it up

1. MS has been competitive in the games department this generation with the exception of 2022. Nintendo also had a terrible year that year. You can check that out in the 1st party thread.
2. MS went from 5 studios to 30+. This show is the preview of the kind of output that is to come.

Last edited:
MS' public perception has completely changed with just a show

It's not just the one show. MS has had multiple years of good output and this show is just showing that its ramping up more. We still have games com and game awards for more announcements and game dates. We might even see something at the id event (although it mihgt just be more doom.

Maybe indirectly, but I don't know any Xbox lover who is going to buy a Switch 2 instead of an Xbox Next. Not gonna happen.

I think most people will go with a Switch 2 over an Xbox next if it released 2025 or 2026. The half of gamers who bought into the current gen are already complaining about a PS5 pro yet they havent gotten the best deal in terms of content from the PS5. So we're just going into the second half of the current gen in the minds of consumers. Its much easier to sell a pro console then get the half of consumers still on Xbox One/PS4 over to the base current gen machines. Than it is to push a new gen in 2025 or 2026.

I think most people will go with a Switch 2 over an Xbox next if it released 2025 or 2026. The half of gamers who bought into the current gen are already complaining about a PS5 pro yet they havent gotten the best deal in terms of content from the PS5. So we're just going into the second half of the current gen in the minds of consumers.
it would depend on what each of the consoles offer wouldn't it?

If xbox next is a sizable leap (zen6/rdna5/large ram jump/ npus) it could draw a lot of people. I'd have to imagine GTA6 running on such a system would run the game better than any console even the ps5 pro.

it would depend on what each of the consoles offer wouldn't it?

If xbox next is a sizable leap (zen6/rdna5/large ram jump/ npus) it could draw a lot of people. I'd have to imagine GTA6 running on such a system would run the game better than any console even the ps5 pro.
I think you should take a hint at the Xbox FTC document for 2028 being a suitable year when most variables suit an actual next gen. There's a lot to consider before pushing out new hardware especially as a console. Its far harder than adding a Zen 6CPU RDNA 5 GPU, larger amount of ram, accelerators for AI. The most important question is actually what are the developers doing and you design the hw back from the software perspective. Thats the biggest lesson from the Xbox 360 gen and its what Sony and MS have been doing(exception being the Series S and some choices of on the Xbox One). You're looking at it from purely hw perspective and one which considers it as simply ordering components and putting them together.

But these machines require a lot of software support and need to ride economies of scale to provide long lasting profitable machines. Not just churning out loss making machine after loss making machine. These machines have to be planned for years, data analytics taken from memory and processor usage on the consumer and devkit consoles, working with finance department to ensure the cost can be armortized over the life of the generation. It starts from the Software side first not the other way round. And even with GTA 6, MS making a "next" gen machine in 2026 wouldn't offer any meaningful advantage at all compared to the PS5 pro for the following reasons:
  1. Game is going to be designed around PS5 hw and that will limit what can be achieved on the next gen 2026 Xbox in 2025-2026 period
  2. Rockstar(like most serious devs) would not take time ramping up to new "next gen" SDK in 2026 when they're current engines are optimized for current gen requirements and are working on a PC release. The guys delayed the PC release to ensure they release an excellent title on the consoles first.
  3. In 2 years(2027) Rockstar would get a PS6 devkit to release a new GTA 6 at launch in 2028.
  4. If 2026 next gen Xbox gets a 2027 special edition GTA 6 then a year later they'd be an even better version of the game launching with a much more powerful PS6.
  5. A 2026 next gen machine would just hamstring Xbox again. They just need to focus on delivering great games for now and maybe launch 2027 or 2028.
But in all this GTA 6 is going to be bound by the current gen for quite some time. Possibly age better than the previous game but after releasing it on consoles in 2025 I just dont see them giving a differentiated experience with a 2026 next gen Xbox. Even the launch PS6 version of the game is likely not to be that different from the PS5/PS5 pro version. Maybe the online parts of the title will be better, but the campaign is going to be bound by the current hw.

I think you should take a hint at the Xbox FTC document for 2028 being a suitable year when most variables suit an actual next gen. There's a lot to consider before pushing out new hardware especially as a console. Its far harder than adding a Zen 6CPU RDNA 5 GPU, larger amount of ram, accelerators for AI. The most important question is actually what are the developers doing and you design the hw back from the software perspective. Thats the biggest lesson from the Xbox 360 gen and its what Sony and MS have been doing(exception being the Series S and some choices of on the Xbox One). You're looking at it from purely hw perspective and one which considers it as simply ordering components and putting them together.

But these machines require a lot of software support and need to ride economies of scale to provide long lasting profitable machines. Not just churning out loss making machine after loss making machine. These machines have to be planned for years, data analytics taken from memory and processor usage on the consumer and devkit consoles, working with finance department to ensure the cost can be armortized over the life of the generation. It starts from the Software side first not the other way round. And even with GTA 6, MS making a "next" gen machine in 2026 wouldn't offer any meaningful advantage at all compared to the PS5 pro for the following reasons:
  1. Game is going to be designed around PS5 hw and that will limit what can be achieved on the next gen 2026 Xbox in 2025-2026 period
  2. Rockstar(like most serious devs) would not take time ramping up to new "next gen" SDK in 2026 when they're current engines are optimized for current gen requirements and are working on a PC release. The guys delayed the PC release to ensure they release an excellent title on the consoles first.
  3. In 2 years(2027) Rockstar would get a PS6 devkit to release a new GTA 6 at launch in 2028.
  4. If 2026 next gen Xbox gets a 2027 special edition GTA 6 then a year later they'd be an even better version of the game launching with a much more powerful PS6.
  5. A 2026 next gen machine would just hamstring Xbox again. They just need to focus on delivering great games for now and maybe launch 2027 or 2028.
But in all this GTA 6 is going to be bound by the current gen for quite some time. Possibly age better than the previous game but after releasing it on consoles in 2025 I just dont see them giving a differentiated experience with a 2026 next gen Xbox. Even the launch PS6 version of the game is likely not to be that different from the PS5/PS5 pro version. Maybe the online parts of the title will be better, but the campaign is going to be bound by the current hw.

We will see what happens what happens. MS has a metric ton of data from all its xboxs and all the games being played on pc.

1) Doesn't matter if the game is designed around ps5 hardware. Pushing frame rates and effects over what the ps5/pro can do is still a major selling point
2) Rockstar didn't delay the pc release for noble reasons. They did it to get people to buy console versions and then rebuy on pc when it comes out later. They did this with GTA5 also.
3) Yes 2028. A 2025/26 Xbox next gen would give them 2-3 years of having the most powerful console by a large margin and would be the best way on consoles to play multiplatform games.
4) You just said 2028 now its 2027?
5) Why launch when Sony is launching? MS's most successful generation is when they set the start of the generation not sony. MS can release a 2025/26 console and then a 2029/2030 console. They can be on their own cadence.

A more powerful xbox console will allow games to run better than the competition. MS has what 30 studios or more that can continue to turn out 4-5 games a year that take advantage of it. MS needs to push this advantage.

We will see what happens what happens. MS has a metric ton of data from all its xboxs and all the games being played on pc.

1) Doesn't matter if the game is designed around ps5 hardware. Pushing frame rates and effects over what the ps5/pro can do is still a major selling point
2) Rockstar didn't delay the pc release for noble reasons. They did it to get people to buy console versions and then rebuy on pc when it comes out later. They did this with GTA5 also.
3) Yes 2028. A 2025/26 Xbox next gen would give them 2-3 years of having the most powerful console by a large margin and would be the best way on consoles to play multiplatform games.
4) You just said 2028 now its 2027?
5) Why launch when Sony is launching? MS's most successful generation is when they set the start of the generation not sony. MS can release a 2025/26 console and then a 2029/2030 console. They can be on their own cadence.

A more powerful xbox console will allow games to run better than the competition. MS has what 30 studios or more that can continue to turn out 4-5 games a year that take advantage of it. MS needs to push this advantage.
1.) Its not at all when you're base hw isnt selling well enough. Notice Sony is going with the Raytracing and upscaling angle for the pro? Its marketing really
2.) Rockstar is delaying for financial as well as technical reasons.
3.) A next gen Xbox in 2025/26 would give them the full weight and pressure of having to prove they can deliver a plethora of next gen titles when we live with the fact that cross gen titles are more prevalent.
4.) No I said 2028 but devs would get devkits in 2027. But launching end of 2027 is also plausible and makes sense.
5.) Its not about launching when Sony is launching, its about launching when conditions necessitate and facilitate next gen hw and software tools. 2028 is a good estimate, next best I'd say December of 2027. Again look into the FTC leaks and MS's own internal projections had next gen at 2028 for a myriad of reasons, most of which you havent considered or ignored.

A more powerful Xbox released too early will just put pressure on Xbox yet all the games will have to be released on the current gen Xbox Series as well as PS5 and PS5 pro!!. Its no longer the Xbox 360 days in terms of cost of development. Cross Gen titles make a lot more sense these days. Expect the first 3 years to have cross gen titles. So if Xbox release in 2025 it would really be a blunder of epic proportions. A handheld in 2025 makes more sense imho.

I think most people will go with a Switch 2 over an Xbox next if it released 2025 or 2026. The half of gamers who bought into the current gen are already complaining about a PS5 pro yet they havent gotten the best deal in terms of content from the PS5. So we're just going into the second half of the current gen in the minds of consumers. Its much easier to sell a pro console then get the half of consumers still on Xbox One/PS4 over to the base current gen machines. Than it is to push a new gen in 2025 or 2026.
Microsoft is going to launch so many games and new IP's in 2025, the biggest year in gaming since forever. We got PS5 pro, Switch 2, GTA 6. If I were them I would delay them, there's just too much. If only they had them ready a year or two before, they all would have had better chances.

I want new IP's to succeed, and launching next year is not it.

Microsoft is going to launch so many games and new IP's in 2025, the biggest year in gaming since forever. We got PS5 pro, Switch 2, GTA 6. If I were them I would delay them, there's just too much. If only they had them ready a year or two before, they all would have had better chances.
Yeah I wonder why they dont space them out a bit more but I'm sure they've done the research and decided on the roadmap.

1.) Its not at all when you're base hw isnt selling well enough. Notice Sony is going with the Raytracing and upscaling angle for the pro? Its marketing really
2.) Rockstar is delaying for financial as well as technical reasons.
3.) A next gen Xbox in 2025/26 would give them the full weight and pressure of having to prove they can deliver a plethora of next gen titles when we live with the fact that cross gen titles are more prevalent.
4.) No I said 2028 but devs would get devkits in 2027. But launching end of 2027 is also plausible and makes sense.
5.) Its not about launching when Sony is launching, its about launching when conditions necessitate and facilitate next gen hw and software tools. 2028 is a good estimate, next best I'd say December of 2027. Again look into the FTC leaks and MS's own internal projections had next gen at 2028 for a myriad of reasons, most of which you havent considered or ignored.

A more powerful Xbox released too early will just put pressure on Xbox yet all the games will have to be released on the current gen Xbox Series as well as PS5 and PS5 pro!!. Its no longer the Xbox 360 days in terms of cost of development. Cross Gen titles make a lot more sense these days. Expect the first 3 years to have cross gen titles. So if Xbox release in 2025 it would really be a blunder of epic proportions. A handheld in 2025 makes more sense imho.
1) That is why MS needs a new generation like they did with the xbox to xbox 360 generation. Right now what is bigger than AI ?
2) Yes because they want people to double dip. For GTA 5 they sold the xbox 360/ps3 , xbox one/ps4 and then finally pc. They want as much money as they can get
4) If MS launches in 2025 That would give them 2-3 years of a head start. IF MS launches in 2026 that be 1-2 years of a head start. Like I said the xbox 360 launched early , it let ms set the stage and gave them their best selling generation
5) I haven't ignored anything. The MS slides are old at this point.

IF MS waits around until Sony is ready to launch a new console then nothing will change for MS. Sony will have access to the same technology as MS and they will launch hardware with similar features and performance just like this gen and we already know how well that is working for the

1) That is why MS needs a new generation like they did with the xbox to xbox 360 generation. Right now what is bigger than AI ?
2) Yes because they want people to double dip. For GTA 5 they sold the xbox 360/ps3 , xbox one/ps4 and then finally pc. They want as much money as they can get
4) If MS launches in 2025 That would give them 2-3 years of a head start. IF MS launches in 2026 that be 1-2 years of a head start. Like I said the xbox 360 launched early , it let ms set the stage and gave them their best selling generation

IF MS waits around until Sony is ready to launch a new console then nothing will change for MS. Sony will have access to the same technology as MS and they will launch hardware with similar features and performance just like this gen and we already know how well that is working for the
1.) You cant really just invent your own generation especially when you're in the position MS is in with hw. The last thing they need to be thinking of now is releasing new hardware(besides a handheld). That thing will flop so hard and put so much pressure on them yet most games they release on a "next gen" machine in 2025 will have to be available on the PS5/pro and the Series consoles. Imagine 5 years of cross gen titles from 2025 till around 2030. Who's going to buy it when there's already 2 Xbox consoles that consumers arent buying and you can play most of the games on the current gen?
2.) Again you're only considering the financial side yet they have two reasons, one is for financial gain, the other is technical. Focusing on the consoles first and ensuring a stable release then putting the focus on PC to ensure a stable release.
4.) It would give them an extra 2-3 years offering titles that have to be available on the Series consoles and PS5 all while not offering a real generational leap because most of the software tools are geared towards current gen hw. It would be another blunder really
5.) The MS FTC slides are very pertinent to this discussion and are still relevant and largely accurate.

The challenge for MS isnt about releasing at the same time as Sony. The challenge for them is building enough good will by delivering great games and not making absurd decisions like they have done in the past. Releasing a new console that isnt a handheld in 2025 would be awfully expensive and honestly doesnt make sense when they have to put more of their games on Playstation in order to reach revenue goals. Adding another expensive piece of hw that you have to support while putting that new hw's titles on the current gen would be a huge blunder.

Few people are going to buy it over a $300 PS5 slim and $500 PS5 pro in 2025 or 2026. And it would definitely be selling at a loss for at least 2 years before Sony pushes out a more powerful PS6. Devs also wont be so enthusiastic on a 3rd Xbox console so soon tbh. Again you're looking at it purely from a PC parts perspective where they can buy X CPU and X GPU and X amount of RAM, but consoles are different. They need to interact with the devs and see what they are enthusiastic about, look at the market, look at what technological developments exist in the hw market(of which releasing in 2025 and 2026 arent good years). Earliest is 2027, latest is 2028 and MS FTC leaks prove this point with a 2028 next gen date.

1.) You cant really just invent your own generation especially when you're in the position MS is in with hw. The last thing they need to be thinking of now is releasing new hardware(besides a handheld). That thing will flop so hard and put so much pressure on them yet most games they release on a "next gen" machine in 2025 will have to be available on the PS5/pro and the Series consoles. Imagine 5 years of cross gen titles from 2025 till around 2030. Who's going to buy it when there's already 2 Xbox consoles that consumers arent buying and you can play most of the games on the current gen?
2.) Again you're only considering the financial side yet they have two reasons, one is for financial gain, the other is technical. Focusing on the consoles first and ensuring a stable release then putting the focus on PC to ensure a stable release.
4.) It would give them an extra 2-3 years offering titles that have to be available on the Series consoles and PS5 all while not offering a real generational leap because most of the software tools are geared towards current gen hw. It would be another blunder really
5.) The MS FTC slides are very pertinent to this discussion and are still relevant and largely accurate.

The challenge for MS isnt about releasing at the same time as Sony. The challenge for them is building enough good will by delivering great games and not making absurd decisions like they have done in the past. Releasing a new console that isnt a handheld in 2025 would be awfully expensive and honestly doesnt make sense when they have to put more of their games on Playstation in order to reach revenue goals. Adding another expensive piece of hw that you have to support while putting that new hw's titles on the current gen would be a huge blunder.

Few people are going to buy it over a $300 PS5 slim and $500 PS5 pro in 2025 or 2026. And it would definitely be selling at a loss for at least 2 years before Sony pushes out a more powerful PS6. Devs also wont be so enthusiastic on a 3rd Xbox console so soon tbh. Again you're looking at it purely from a PC parts perspective where they can buy X CPU and X GPU and X amount of RAM, but consoles are different. They need to interact with the devs and see what they are enthusiastic about, look at the market, look at what technological developments exist in the hw market(of which releasing in 2025 and 2026 arent good years). Earliest is 2027, latest is 2028 and MS FTC leaks prove this point with a 2028 next gen date.
Imagine developers having to test the series x, series s, portable, series X2 and series S2. I can't see that happening. That's why the only thing I can see is a portable that plays series s versions of games and a "next gen" in 2026 that plays PC versions of games with a console UI + windows.

Imagine developers having to test the series x, series s, portable, series X2 and series S2. I can't see that happening. That's why the only thing I can see is a portable that plays series s versions of games and a "next gen" in 2026 that plays PC versions of games with a console UI + windows.
They don't need a new S if they only launch a new X, and the old Series X would be the S to the X2. I also think the the Xbox portable will just be a portable PC like the ROG Ally, and not a traditional portable console. It can ship with PC Gamepass and thus be an Xbox branded portable, and wouldn't require developers to do any real work to get their games working on the device. Microsoft can just validate games on the back end (like Steam does with Deck verified games) and flag games that aren't playable to not show up in the app on the device.

1) Again it worked for them back with the 360 and it worked for nintendo with the switch.

2) The pc existed before the xbox one and ps4. So why did they skip the pc and wait for the xbox one and ps4. You aren't making sense.

4) You say it wouldn't be a real generational leap but I disagree. Zen6/RDNA5 would offer a generational leap over zen2/ rdna 2. Esp if RDNA5 is a ground up redesign of the radeon hardware. Zen6 will be almost an 80% increase in IPC over zen2

5) The FTC slides were old when shown and even older now.

Launching a new console in 2025/26 isn't any more expensive than launching a refresh. MS is already making great games and delivering them.

I disagree with your assertions of a $300 ps5 slim outselling it. MS can go with a 2 sku approach again with a zen6/rdna5 set up targeting series x performance at the low end to replace the s and a higher end replacement for the x.

Also what is the point you are trying ot make with MS loosing money on each console but then the ps6 comes out as more powerful. Will sony not be selling the ps6 at a loss when it comes out? Why would we assume MS will sell at a loss for 2 years?

You seem to pick the worse case senarios for MS but the best case with Sony.

As for developers. They are going to support the consoles as they always will. Just like if I buy a game on ps5 it will work on a ps5 pro. if i buy a game on my pc that works on a zen2 + rdna 2 it will work ony a zen 6+ rdna 5. Developers will be able to take advantage of some of a new xbox features on day one.

They don't need a new S if they only launch a new X, and the old Series X would be the S to the X2. I also think the the Xbox portable will just be a portable PC like the ROG Ally, and not a traditional portable console. It can ship with PC Gamepass and thus be an Xbox branded portable, and wouldn't require developers to do any real work to get their games working on the device. Microsoft can just validate games on the back end (like Steam does with Deck verified games) and flag games that aren't playable to not show up in the app on the device.
The series X can't become the new S, it's too costly to manufacture.

For the rest I agree, just that the portable and the new "consoles" would have the entire Xbox UI when you boot it up, not just game pass.

If people leave the Xbox market they will either go PC or PS. If you actually believe they would go Nintendo you haven't understood anything about the Xbox customer base.

You mean nothing is bigger than the AI hype. It's already so painful even the fan scene pundits are sick of it and are poking fun at it.

Unless proven otherwise I see no significant advantage about a NPU in consoles(AI supported by servers makes far more sense to me) which would lead to a next generational game experience and generate sales.

I can't see how a 2025 release would have the necessary HW base to make a real impact. Outside their mobile project I don't see a next console from them in 2025 anyway. We would have heard about it by now.

*If* MS still wants to compete with Sony in the next generation Sony might have given them a chance with PS5 Pro which probably means a PS6 in 2028. That gives MS a windows of 2026-27.

Unless they change their whole approach and go OEM and with a floating HW target where everybody can chose the HW based on their budget. That has some pros and cons with difficult to predict outcomes.

I mostly agree. But the problem is releasing earlier while providing the performance for next generation. That's not a trivial problem and can IMHO only be solved by "money". That needs to be paid by somebody in the end which nobody might want.

Back