Xbox Showcase 2023 (June 11th)

In Fable you make your own character. So that's not the protagonist.

Her being not model attractive actually makes it more interesting if I'm being honest. Fable is about Fables, and not every Fable should be about a beauty queen that can wield a sword. It being different makes it more interesting than the plain old normal imo super hot model face + guns blazing wearing a teenie tiny top. It's cliche, and honestly it's heavily overdone.
I've seen enough Disney princesses in my time, we could use more interesting stories; I want to see the girl with the warped hand, and the wrecked teeth save the world. Because that's a much interesting story.

If you goal is to just get off on looks, there is Instagram and other things out there for that. I don't need instagram models in my video games too.

Of course it only works for the women right. Don't see many men that aren't considered attractive and in shape. Too many Joe six packs and not enough Joey kegs walking around.

It's the same across all media. Body positivity is just about larger unattractive women while we still get the same in shape , non balding , conventionally attractive men.

Of course it only works for the women right. Don't see many men that aren't considered attractive and in shape. Too many Joe six packs and not enough Joey kegs walking around.

It's the same across all media. Body positivity is just about larger unattractive women while we still get the same in shape , non balding , conventionally attractive men.
You're getting too political imo and that's a heavy dose of straw man argument since no one even made that statement.

I'm only addressing the fact that he is complaining about an average looking female in a game. Its not about what is and is not there, it's who is doing the complaining.
Put in unattractive men, and measure complains about it: I'm certain it will be biased towards men.
Put in unattractive females and measure who complains about it: I'm certain it will be biased towards men.

Companies are welcome to go with a typical trope or not I'll play the game regardless. You put in an unattractive or attractive female, it makes no difference to me, I won't complain.
I don't demand there to be attractive females in my video games, I don't need attractive characters to enjoy my games.

Do I think body positivity is a good thing for both males and females? Yes.
That makes for a more interesting story. We need to work on creativity, its not just representation, diversity in body image can help shape stories better than just being able to rip everyone's head off.

But I don't complain if there isn't. And I don't complain if there is. I'm just addressing his complaint, no one here is making a statement.

Last edited:

Her being not model attractive actually makes it more interesting if I'm being honest. Fable is about Fables, and not every Fable should be about a beauty queen that can wield a sword. It being different makes it more interesting than the plain old normal imo super hot model face + guns blazing wearing a teenie tiny top. It's cliche, and honestly it's heavily overdone.
I've seen enough Disney princesses in my time, we could use more interesting stories; I want to see the girl with the warped hand, and the wrecked teeth save the world. Because that's a much interesting story.

If you goal is to just get off on looks, there is Instagram and other things out there for that. I don't need instagram models in my video games too.

Yup it's exactly as annoying as people that immediately complain that a protagonist or character is too attractive. Or, gah, her breasts are too big or gah, her breasts are too small. Or gah, he looks too nerdy or gah, he looks too much like a jock.

Let the developer design the characters the way they want to design them. Attractive, ugly, fat, skinny, flabby, whatever. As long as it fits within the setting and what the character is asked to do.

Play a fat detective? I'm all in. Playing an obese guy doing acrobatic gymnastic moves? OK, now I'm having trouble believing in the character. :p A fat guy lifting a 100 pound rock and throwing it at someone? Believable. A 90 lb anorexic looking runway model doing the same? Uh, yeah, you just lost me. :p

Regards,
SB

You're getting too political imo and that's a heavy dose of straw man argument since no one even made that statement.

I'm only addressing the fact that he is complaining about an average looking female in a game. Its not about what is and is not there, it's who is doing the complaining.
Put in unattractive men, and measure complains about it: I'm certain it will be biased towards men.
Put in unattractive females and measure who complains about it: I'm certain it will be biased towards men.

Companies are welcome to go with a typical trope or not I'll play the game regardless. You put in an unattractive or attractive female, it makes no difference to me, I won't complain.
I don't demand there to be attractive females in my video games.

Do I think body positivity is a good thing for both males and females? Yes.
That makes for a more interesting story.

But I don't complain if there isn't. And I don't complain if there is. I'm just addressing his complaint, no one here is making a statement.

Maybe but look at the trailer. There are two main characters. One is considered traditionally attractive and the other one is not.

You say its too political but its a political movement to be more inclusive and diverse which has ended up with non attractive women in roles that would have gone to traditional women. Coors is facing backlash because they released a marketing campaign that features a non traditionally attractive woman lecturing their customers for coor's past marketing ads from decades ago featuring attractive women and that now we have to destroy all that stuff and use it to grow new hoops for women to grow beer with. Yet I don't see any companies bringing out non traditionally attractive men out to lecture on beef cake ads of the past. No one coming out burning Nora Roberts books for featuring Fabio the geese killer on its cover.

You think body positivity is a good thing for males but there is no body positivity for males.

If you want body postivity for men perhaps help out in getting male genital mutilation made illegal

How can any man feel body positivity when society mutilates it at birth

Yup it's exactly as annoying as people that immediately complain that a protagonist or character is too attractive. Or, gah, her breasts are too big or gah, her breasts are too small. Or gah, he looks too nerdy or gah, he looks too much like a jock.

Let the developer design the characters the way they want to design them. Attractive, ugly, fat, skinny, flabby, whatever. As long as it fits within the setting and what the character is asked to do.

Play a fat detective? I'm all in. Playing an obese guy doing acrobatic gymnastic moves? OK, now I'm having trouble believing in the character. :p A fat guy lifting a 100 pound rock and throwing it at someone? Believable. A 90 lb anorexic looking runway model doing the same? Uh, yeah, you just lost me. :p

Regards,
SB
Nah just link it to the in game.

Ugly ass woman or man , good luck using charm. Morbidly obese wants multiple air plane seats for free male or female ? Well you can take 5 steps and then need to take a break to catch your breath. Have it have real consequences in game like in life and I'm fine with it.

Then as the game goes on they can get diabetes like I got from being a fat ass . Don't grab that energy kit as its pure glucose and your sugar will go up into the 500s and your vision will get blurry and you will get dizzy !

33 imortals looks really good

Phil and 2 developers along with 30 other people via online play through a stage of it during the extended show. The game looks really good and while its labeled as pre alpha this might be an early 2024 game .

One interesting quote is that when they started the game development they didn't even have 33 people to fill out the game.

we still get the same in shape , non balding , conventionally attractive men.
I'm not sure Richard Ayoade is considered conventionally attractive, but I do know brown teeth aren't. Watch the Fable trailer again and look at his teeth.

I'm not sure Richard Ayoade is considered conventionally attractive, but I do know brown teeth aren't. Watch the Fable trailer again and look at his teeth.
I looked at the picture of the man posted here. He is conventionally attractive. he is also british and are known for bad teeth

Come on, the only reason she saves the world is because she has extra free time since she cant brush her teeth due to the warped hand.... :)

Well thats a relief =)

I never said I wanted generic hot babe in tiny top in either, so I think you might be reading too much into what I said.
Im quite tired of generic looking heroes/heroines too. I generally prefer it when characters have character, and if its a more realistic style i prefer it when they look like real people. In something like gears its appropriate that they look like the archetypical hero he-man character, so it depends on the context.

In a later post you wrote

"I'm only addressing the fact that he is complaining about an average looking female in a game. Its not about what is and is not there, it's who is doing the complaining."

To be fair, she isnt average looking, they deliberatly made her ugly. Look at her face when she´s eating the sandwhich in the end, it looks like a guys face. They can do whatever they want of course, and as I said its nice that it isnt your typical generic fantasy game style. But it seems to me like they went out of their way to do the polar opposite, and I personaly find that a little tiresome.

That last part sounds weird though:

"Its not about what is and is not there, it's who is doing the complaining."

What do you mean, that doesnt matter what I say?

Her being not model attractive actually makes it more interesting

Nah she is just british ;)

Kostas Anagnostou twitter (Lead Rendering Engineer) is very interesting and i was hoping for some quality visuals and i am not disappointed.

Regards,
SB

Like you seem to be saying it, I think it depends on the context. I think the way the protaganist look matters, and its important what kind of game we play and why we´re playing that particular game.

LA Noire is about being a detective and solving crime. I remember I liked that the main character looked like a real person (he is apperently modelled after the actor who plays him so that makes sense). That he looked kinda average I think helped sell the idea that its set in a gritty reality and that you´re just a regular guy. Had he been fat or more unattractive probably wouldnt have detracted either. If he had looked like Fabio on the other hand would probably have hurt the game. You wouldnt get the sense that you´re a regular guy, but rather some action movie hero supercop.

I love Tsushima and AC origins. I like the historical setting of egypt, and the idealised, almost dreamlike version av japan, but to be fair, what makes them fun is feeling like a badass when youre killing people like a ninja or a master swordsman. Both Jin and Bayek look quite regular, but they have the physique to be action heroes. Those games are about escapism, and the main characters looks dont detract from that. I like that they have character, but if they had looked more like generic action video game characters that wouldnt have hurt the experience very much.

If Jin had ben 1,6m high and had a big belly would have had an effect on the other hand. Some might think that would have made for "a more intressesting story", and it definently would have made for a different experience. I would have found it distracting, and it would have hurt my ability be immersed in the game. Partly because me knowing the developers went out of their they to make him like that, and partly because when Im playing a ninja I dont really wanna be 1,6m with a fat belly, I want espapism.

I think I would play Fable for similar reasons I would play thushima, for the espapism and action. Its more whimsical sure, but I wouldnt feel very badassy when Im killing monsters if I was a 1,6m tall overwheight guy or a girl with a guys face and bad teeth.

They can their game however they want of course, I dont think it would be a very good decision though.

I finally got around to watching the showcase. My impressions: A-

Best conference of the year for sure. Lot's of exiting stuff coming in the next couple years. I wish we had seen more Hellblade 2 actual gameplay and maybe more about what id was working on, but Starfield looked incredible. MS were business-wise to deny this game to Sony.

2024 looks pretty good right now:

Hellblade 2
Avowed
Sea of Thieves, Halo & Grounded content
MS Flight Sim 2024
Towerborne
Clockwork Revolution

Best conference of the year for sure. Lot's of exiting stuff coming in the next couple years. I wish we had seen more Hellblade 2 actual gameplay and maybe more about what id was working on, but Starfield looked incredible. MS were business-wise to deny this game to Sony.
Bethesda Games Studios (BGS) was definitely the jewel in the crown of the Zenimax acquisition from my perspective. Whilst only a glimpse, I liked what I saw of the original Avowed reveal but what was shown by Obsidian last week was almost a completely different game and a massive tonal shift. Penitent wasn't my thing and Outer Worlds, whilst a decent RPG, felt like a poor man's BGS offering.

I'm not sure how Obsidian ended up in this situation. I would really like them to revisit the Fallout franchise, as long as it's not another game set in the Mojave. If you're going post-apocalyptic, comparing pre-war desert and post-war desert isn't much different. This is what attracted me to Fallout 3. You got up close to the devastation. The fall of civilisation was apparent everywhere.

I still cannot believe that, outside of Starfield, Flight Simulator looked the biggest draw on how to spend my limited, valuable time! I really like what they have done with a non-game. By gamifying it.

Back