Xbox June Showcase 2024 (June 9th 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm BST)

Seriously. We've already gone over this, too. Xbox had already been talking about trying to move to a generation-less model in the leadup to the new generation, and quickly had to backtrack once Playstation made it clear they were going to continue with it. Cuz it turns out, that exists for a reason, and works well. And certainly Xbox did not have the clout to change this.

It's all more evidence how much Xbox have been trying to find some magical alternative to directly competing in the traditional console space, and it's just making things worse. It's like trying to start a new football club, and when you keep getting beat, you decide you're gonna instead change the rules a bit and start your own league that nobody else joins, and no sponsors want to be a part of it because it's clearly not the popular market, and you're just left sitting there balls in hand looking like an idiot instead of spending all that time and effort just trying to get better at football.

And what's really hilarious about this showcase is that for all the very promising games Xbox did show, they're not even going to be exclusive anymore. This could have been a potential momentum boost for Xbox as a console platform, but instead it only looks positive when you view Xbox purely as a games publisher.

Keeping with the football analogy, it's like finally putting together a competent football team, but then just loaning out all your best players to better teams, so you dont actually benefit yourself from having signed or developing them. Sure you bring in some money in the process, but your team and brand is still not doing well.
100% agree on this, couldnt have said it better.

Given that 4 years in we are still getting a majority of games mired in last gen technology, I’m not sure how a 2026 Next Box would be able to offer software that would compel users to upgrade.

I'm not sure that we can expect much from next gen games other than slightly better frame rates and RT quality. 2026 or 2028 doesn't really change that.

Users are going to upgrade to the next Xbox or PS because of better performance. Or not. Cross gen is going to go on well into the 2030s

Given that 4 years in we are still getting a majority of games mired in last gen technology, I’m not sure how a 2026 Next Box would be able to offer software that would compel users to upgrade.
Eh, I feel like we're now firmly in next gen territory.

Pretty much all the AAA games released in recent times and going forward are clearly next gen and a big leap forward from the XB1/PS4 era.

Pretty much all the AAA games released in recent times and going forward are clearly next gen and a big leap forward from the XB1/PS4 era.
Senua 2 which is one of the most visually impressive titles still has the exact same gameplay as the first one. Aside from the graphics it could have easily been done on Xbox One, or even 360

While cross gen seems to be ending, I would say there have been very few games, released or coming, that demonstrate a big leap. That’s what was so exciting about this show. The promise of Software that, at least visually, offers a substantial improvement.

Senua 2 which is one of the most visually impressive titles still has the exact same gameplay as the first one. Aside from the graphics it could have easily been done on Xbox One, or even 360
Yes, if we ignore the part where the actual generational hardware leap matters, it's not next gen, sure.

By this reasoning, very little in the modern space in the past decade or more has actually been 'next gen'.

While cross gen seems to be ending, I would say there have been very few games, released or coming, that demonstrate a big leap. That’s what was so exciting about this show. The promise of Software that, at least visually, offers a substantial improvement.
Everything being shown is a pretty big leap from before. It's just taken so long to get to this point that people are already adapted to 'next gen' standards, and so the games dont seem that impressive in comparison.

This happens to a degree in every recent generation, where people claim the leap isn't that big. Diminishing returns are real, but comparing any of these newer games with older games shows a marked difference. Heck, I was just having a conversation with some here not that long ago about how Ghost of Tsushima on PC looks outdated. Because yea, of course it does in 2024. Our standards are much different now.

Currently, I'm getting back into Kingdom Come Deliverance which looked fairly cutting edge when it launched and now I notice its numerous sore areas far more by modern standards.

EDIT: I'll also say it doesn't help that 60fps seems to be a regular target now for games. Many people are rejoicing over this, but it has the undeniable factor of also reducing the visual ambition of games. It's very much limiting how big a leap this generation will offer in terms of raw fidelity.

Why stop there? Couldn't the gameplay be essentially replicated on PS2, or even PS1? And isn't that true for basically every game? Once you remove the graphics, there isn't a game I can think of that has gameplay that couldn't be done on those earlier 3d systems.

Lets say the xsx and ps5 play the game at 1080p 30fps and the ps5 pro does 1440p at 60fps. If the next gen xbox is able to do 4k at 60fps most people who had a ps5 and were thinking about the pro for a better experience might jump over to the new xbox. Many people who hadn't jumped in might go for the new xbox because of the better performance.
I think more correct to say what some people may change console. Because as we know only little part of users buy premium consoles, (AFAIK only 19% of sold PS4 is Pro), and not so much people even know difference between 1080p and 1440p and also between 30fps and 60fps. As I work in video games store for some 15 years I can say what ~70% of people don't know much about tech stuff in games or know anything.

Seriously. We've already gone over this, too. Xbox had already been talking about trying to move to a generation-less model in the leadup to the new generation, and quickly had to backtrack once Playstation made it clear they were going to continue with it. Cuz it turns out, that exists for a reason, and works well. And certainly Xbox did not have the clout to change this.
Completely agree.

I would say some are next gen and only few are a big leap from XBox One PS4 era. For now. But Hellblade 2 and other releases this year will be big leap.

Everything being shown is a pretty big leap from before. It's just taken so long to get to this point that people are already adapted to 'next gen' standards, and so the games dont seem that impressive in comparison.
True. Some 5 months ago I argued with two friends and when I said what next gen games still not here except few, they tried to prove me what 60 fps higher resolution and fast loading time is enough to count cross-gen games released in 2022-2023 as next gen.

Can moderator please combine those 3 post in 1 please? :)

I would say some are next gen and only few are a big leap from XBox One PS4 era. For now. But Hellblade 2 and other releases this year will be big leap.
It's a subjective claim to some degree, but I definitely stand by it. Things like RTGI are even becoming quite standardized.

And there's always going to be people who simply have unrealistic expectations. Cant do anything about that. I think we're quickly arriving at a point where people who are regularly playing these newer games will look back and see XB1/PS4-era games as so very clearly 'last gen' in comparison, though. There's a pretty firmly defined difference in fidelity/visual quality.

Yes, if we ignore the part where the actual generational hardware leap matters, it's not next gen, sure.

By this reasoning, very little in the modern space in the past decade or more has actually been 'next gen'.

This happens to a degree in every recent generation, where people claim the leap isn't that big. Diminishing returns are real, but comparing any of these newer games with older games shows a marked difference. Heck, I was just having a conversation with some here not that long ago about how Ghost of Tsushima on PC looks outdated. Because yea, of course it does in 2024. Our standards are much different now.

Currently, I'm getting back into Kingdom Come Deliverance which looked fairly cutting edge when it launched and now I notice its numerous sore areas far more by modern standards.

EDIT: I'll also say it doesn't help that 60fps seems to be a regular target now for games. Many people are rejoicing over this, but it has the undeniable factor of also reducing the visual ambition of games. It's very much limiting how big a leap this generation will offer in terms of raw fidelity.
GOT holds up pretty well next to almost any available open world game. The upcoming AC title for example certainly isn't what I think many would consider being close to a generational visual leap. I don’t believe anything is an issue of diminishing returns. Just look at how much better Matrix demo still looks compared to any game.

Agreed but the visuals on Senua 2 are quite next gen tbh. There needs to be improvement in how games feel though. I played Callisto Protocol today and it actually felt and looked possibly next gen.

Gonna have to disagree here.
Gameplay alone, sure a Xbox one or 360 could do something similar with much worse graphics,
but your forgetting to the fast loading thanks to the SSD, I suspect that game starts to feel quite different if your waiting 30+ seconds every few steps.
Not to mention the audio, which the entire 360 would be lucky to run ( actually not true the 360 was a dream for audio tasks )

It's easy to forget that a game like hellbalde 2 is a sum total of all of it's parts,
And lesser audio too, and long load times. Now it's a very different thing.
Sure you could have lesser everything, but then it's not the same game is it?

I think more correct to say what some people may change console. Because as we know only little part of users buy premium consoles, (AFAIK only 19% of sold PS4 is Pro), and not so much people even know difference between 1080p and 1440p and also between 30fps and 60fps. As I work in video games store for some 15 years I can say what ~70% of people don't know much about tech stuff in games or know anything.

Completely agree.
I think there are a lot of people who owned xbo/s/x and ps4/pro that haven't bought new consoles yet. A lot of the larger titles are still getting supported on the older consoles.

So I certainly think a lot of people will buy in when GTA 6 comes out. Most people don't really need to know anything other than this console performs better and looks better at the game than this console.

Most people don't really need to know anything other than this console performs better and looks better at the game than this console.
True. I remember when people asked me about difference between XBox One S and XBox One X. And then I said what on X there is 4k and better graphics but not so much better like XBox One compared to XBox 360, they asked about price difference. And after they got answer, most of them bought S.

True. I remember when people asked me about difference between XBox One S and XBox One X. And then I said what on X there is 4k and better graphics but not so much better like XBox One compared to XBox 360, they asked about price difference. And after they got answer, most of them bought S.

But were they happy? :)

The opposite happened, actually. Sony was the one that turned around and went cross-gen for years and followed MS.

The fact that games take 5+ years to make means it's fine to having rolling hardware SKUs. In addition MS has 30+ studios now and they can pretty much launch with AAA titles whenever they want. They should launch when it makes the most sense to keep the hardcore Xbox fans happy as they will be the ones paying $599 for a shiny new system. I was hoping this would be 2025 with Next $599, X $399, and S $199, M (handheld S) $299, but that's likely not until 2026 now and I can live with that. MS 30 dev teams can easily support 3 configs. At first the Next will just be an X with extra frames, resolution and maybe some RT thrown in, but as more and more units get sold and powerful PC cards are in wide circulation the new features of the Next (whatever they are) will get adopted by devs.

For me it was the exact opposite.

Which console plays the game better. Then they go and buy that one

Back