Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

First wave for July is announced. Some prior Yakuza titles return, so the entire series is all back on GamePass. I'm looking forward to PowerWash Simulator.

TW_Coming-Soon_7.4.2022-548a2e73b67f111cc7e5.jpg

"Release the Pressure with PowerWash Simulator! Wash away your worries with the soothing sounds of high-pressure water. Fire up your power washer and blast away every speck of dirt and grime you can find, all with the simple satisfaction of power-washing to a sparkling finish."

count me in

I… am too? (SkillUp review.)

Xbox Era Review

Games are now targeting people with mental health issues like cleaning obsessions?:)

Is this a joke?

It's from a wonderful sort of game genre to get you into an oddly relaxing and zenful like state.

House Flipper
Lawn Mowing Simulator
Unpacking

It's from a wonderful sort of game genre to get you into an oddly relaxing and zenful like state.

House Flipper
Lawn Mowing Simulator
Unpacking

Yup they sort of tap into the whole feeling of a "job well done" but without the physical activity that is generally associated with that.

Over the past few years as I've come to realize that, I've come to appreciate those things in real life more and I'm starting to enjoy things that I used to hate when I was younger. So, things like repainting walls or fences are actually enjoyable now, and unlike doing it in a game, I'm actually getting a decent physical workout (good for my health) by doing it. Same goes for mowing the lawn (I deliberately use a push mower instead of a self moving mower to get more exercise) and things like that.

And then when I'm done, I can look at it and appreciate an actual "job well done." Well, if I don't mess it up somehow. :D Hard work, but oh so satisfying when you're done, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Yup they sort of tap into the whole feeling of a "job well done" but without the physical activity that is generally associated with that.

Over the past few years as I've come to realize that, I've come to appreciate those things in real life more and I'm starting to enjoy things that I used to hate when I was younger. So, things like repainting walls or fences are actually enjoyable now, and unlike doing it in a game, I'm actually getting a decent physical workout (good for my health) by doing it. Same goes for mowing the lawn (I deliberately use a push mower instead of a self moving mower to get more exercise) and things like that.

And then when I'm done, I can look at it and appreciate an actual "job well done." Well, if I don't mess it up somehow. :D Hard work, but oh so satisfying when you're done, IMO.

Regards,
SB
This is a bit off topic, but I've found the same. Something else, though, is that I've found that one of the things I hated as a kid was having to do everything all at once. Now, if I'm painting a fence or whatever, and get halfway through and get to the pint where I want to stop, I can stop and come back later.

I instantly got bored with those kind of games. But I am lazy AF so that's probably why hahaha

But weirdly, I do like job simulator (and fishing games)

Games are now targeting people with mental health issues like cleaning obsessions?:)

Is this a joke?
Maybe my memory’s going, but it doesn’t seem that far off of something like Slime Rancher or mayyybe Super Mario Sunshine. Even Stardew Valley is an exercise in optimizing repetition. Heck, Gran Turismo is exactly that, just with much cooler machinery.

Maybe my memory’s going, but it doesn’t seem that far off of something like Slime Rancher or mayyybe Super Mario Sunshine. Even Stardew Valley is an exercise in optimizing repetition. Heck, Gran Turismo is exactly that, just with much cooler machinery.

Yep. There are numerous games where repetition is the meat of the game. some games (uh destiny series) even make players repeat the same thing again and again and again ad infinitum.

Heck, AFAIK repetition in video games is dubbed as "gameplay loop" and it's one of the main pillars that made a video game successful.

Don't forget Sony's window cleaning game, Wishi Washi, for PS2 with EyeToy. Yay, now everybody can clean windows without needing actual windows. Handy for those who live in basements or concrete bunkers below ground.

I look forward to Destiny 3 VR where you have to clean your ship's windshield!
This isn't on Star Citizen's to do list?

Yep. There are numerous games where repetition is the meat of the game. some games (uh destiny series) even make players repeat the same thing again and again and again ad infinitum.

Heck, AFAIK repetition in video games is dubbed as "gameplay loop" and it's one of the main pillars that made a video game successful.

Bungie always said in interviews about Halo that it was all about nailing the same 60 seconds of fun (gameplay loop) that tended to repeat over and over again.
Gameplay loop-de-loop!

I'd distinguish between tedious and fun loops. There's a lot of tedium to Stardew Valley's farming loop. Perfecting consistency lap after lap in racing games may be tedious to some, but there's more variability and skill involved, even practicing solo. Is that similar to tackling the same enemies in Dark Souls? I'm slowly making my way through Halo, and analyzing it as 60-second bursts of adrenaline would be interesting. I guess that's why enemies attack in waves.

I'd distinguish between tedious and fun loops. There's a lot of tedium to Stardew Valley's farming loop. Perfecting consistency lap after lap in racing games may be tedious to some...

That last bit is the key. What is tedious or fun varies from person to person as well as how fun or how tedious it is. I know quite a few people who have played Stardew Valley since launch purely for the farming.

One extreme example for me is speed running. I find it incredibly tedious to do a tiny section of a game over and over for hours on end trying to either optimize the route or find some kind of exploit/glitch, but one of my friends finds that the most exhilarating part of playing a game. :p I think he's weird, he thinks I don't understand. We're probably both right. :D

I find gameplay loops that require me to think in order to progress to the next gameplay loop in the game to be great fun. Whereas I know quite a few people that don't want to have to think while playing a game and thus don't appreciate any sort of gameplay loop that requires any amount of thinking.

Hmmm, that now suddenly makes me realize that this might be why I almost always go the stealth route in games when it's available. I have to think my through it rather than just going in guns blazing.

Regards,
SB

Family plan rolling out in insider ring for selected regions.
Xbox wire

Conversion rate

That's not that bad, at least in my eyes.

1 GPU = 0.6 GPU Family

Or roughly $25 for 1 month Game Pass Ultimate Family

Back