Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2016]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by AzBat, Mar 2, 2016.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Since our preview/beta posts were going into the old news thread I figured I'd start a new thread now that's it's closed.

Here's the latest on the March Preview that has already gone out to Preview members...

http://majornelson.com/2016/03/01/c...6-person-party-chat-and-more/?linkId=21790367

I received my update last night. Kinda surprised me since I never got the February update until a week or so ago.

Love that they finally put the Achievements in the Quick Guide. Really cool it keeps track how much you've progressed since you last looked at it. Purchasing 360 games from the Store will be nice, but it wasn't working last night when I checked. Maybe it's working now. Pretty sizable update. Only large updates left are Cortana, OTA Tuner DVR & background music. Will be interesting to see what they bring out during GDC & E3.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  2. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

360 backward compatibility store purchase update...

https://twitter.com/xboxqwik/status/705063400817078272

Guess we'll find out late this week.

Tommy McClain

RancidLunchmeat likes this.
  3. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

More on the 360 backward compatibility store purchase feature...

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/705970341626032128

Tommy McClain

RancidLunchmeat and BadTB25 like this.
  4. Scott_Arm

Legend

Anniversary update hitting preview in Late May early June. Looks like we're getting something resembling a quarterly update vs the monthly updates before. I guess after having a pretty rapid implementation of features to bring back a lot of the stuff from 360, and improve the general usability, they're slowing things down and doing major updates.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/719896035502362624

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, there have been no monthly updates for April at all so far. I was wondering if they were actually trying to fix all the legit bugs now, such as tv stuttering like crazy, party chat randomly dropping, or achievements not unlocking or stuck in unlocking state ever since NXOE Win10 OS update.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Are you sure you don't have NAT issues if you have parties dropping? I've never actually seen anyone get kicked from a party since I bought the Xbox One, with the exception of people that were having ISP issues.

Edit:
    I don't have the stuttering issue, but I guess it's being worked on.
    https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/685183761089040384

7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Im just going off what the majority of the preview forums are talking about. Those are all the hot topics.

I don't have the TV stutter issue because I removed the xbox console from all of my tv setups sometime around December. It was that amazingly shity ever since end of October. December was the last straw when even more didnt work and required resetting the STB to get xbox to unfuck the hdmi detection. I keep tabs on the TV issues, but the other posters who encountered the issues around the same time I do still have the same issues day in and day out.

It wasnt until the last day or two that xbox official developers actually posted that they think the issue is with the switchover to the Win10 OS and now they have a few things they want to try. No shit it's the underlying changes, the community has only been reporting the issues since the change to win10 os. It's as if they dont trust the thousands of preview users filing reports on how utterly unusable the system is. This is why the community has basically said "fuck xbox for tv watching", they're fed up with being ignored or treated like the issues reported aren't real.

8. Scott_Arm

Legend

The problem with forums is you never know how representative of the overall group is. I'm in the preview, but I never even look at the forums because I never encounter bugs.

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, I didn't go into the forums until I kept reporting the same issue for 2 weeks straight. I then discovered some threads that were into the several hundred posts and nearing a hundred pages or so with many different users from different markets having issues.

Hopefully the next big push will address all those hot button issues in addition to providing new functionality.

10. sniffy

Newcomer

I've gotten the impression the monthly Xbox One updates are more about improving the consoles image than actually improving the usability of the console. I mean sure some useful stuff has been added, but it's still probably the glitchy console I have ever owned. The anniversary update will no doubt introduce a bunch of other issues.

11. Scott_Arm

Legend

Experience may vary. I've had little to no glitches, with the exception of a few bugs in beta releases.

12. Nisaaru

Veteran Regular

After the update I had the strange issue that if I entered the party app/sublist through the dock itself it would throw me out of the party completely(probably a crash). Then I noticed that the community side/information seem to lack or sort of degrading. I couldn't even find anybody anymore but I could still play online and in a party if I didn't "touch" party itself. I also lost notification/messages.

Deleting/Recreating Account+Hardreset didn't help either.

Needed a Console firmware reset/redownload to fix this ugly condition. Luckily I could keep all the content on the HD:)

13. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Anybody else get the latest preview released on Monday? It now has Cortana support, remodeled "My Games & Apps" & remodeled Store. Those are biggest changes, but there are more. Cortana is cool & it's been a little hard to remember to not use "Xbox <command>", but so far it seems more versatile. I suspect UWA & background music support coming in the Anniversary update to be announced next week, but it looks like the USB TV tuner is no longer getting DVR support...

;(

Tommy McClain

RancidLunchmeat and BRiT like this.
  14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I'm on the new preview. I didnt switch to "Hey Cortana" yet because that phrase is twice the syllables as "xbox".

As for the lack of DVR for Usb tuner, I suspect its because the issues they're still having with getting HDMI IN working without stutter or lag and they will be dropping the TV aspect going forward and they dont want to spend time in areas where they dont have a clue. :(

15. Scott_Arm

Legend

I should be getting the update soon. Cortana looks a lot more useful than the default local voice commands, and it also works over the headset mic, supposedly.

16. BadTB25

Veteran

I didn't get the update yet. @BRiT, You can just say "Cortana" instead of "Hey Cortana" at least according to GAF. It's one more syllable than Xbox, but at least it's universal while adding functionality like using voice to start a party.

BRiT likes this.
  17. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Alright, thats better.

I think this will draw @Alstrong to upgrade, just so he can say "Cortana On" and get a reaction.

Billy Idol and NRP like this.
  18. Scott_Arm

Legend

You're also supposed to be able to issue commands in many ways, so you don't need to use perfect syntax. For instance right now you have to say, "Xbox, go to Netflix", where with cortana you should be able to say, "... start netflix," or, "... play netflix," or, "... Netflix" etc.

BRiT likes this.
  19. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Personally I feel the lack of DVR is due to poor sales of the tuner more so than anything going wonky with HDMI-In. But you're right they maybe slowly phasing out live TV features, especially if they're making a Roku/FireTV-type device. They may be going all-in on the video streaming market instead of the Cable/Satellite/OTA market.

Yeah it works with headset. I used a few times, but personally I prefer Kinect. I know a lot of people don't have it. So it's good they give a choice.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That makes me very sad. TV integration and voice commands and gesture related controls were the only reason I even bothered to jump in on this generation of consoles.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.