Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big exciting news is free upgrades for first year for Win 7, 8 & 8 Phone users
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ndows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

I think this is a very good thing.
It will really help them get a quick significant user base to get developers onboard & a lot of people like me who are keen on improved stuff will be happy to get it free.

Also http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...s-10-for-free-but-you-cant-make-them-take-it/

as long as media center works on 10 then I will have about 15 computers going from 7/8 to 10. Will be nice to run a single OS

I think it's a good idea, helps them unify their userbase, saves them a lot of money in the end. Will be interesting to see where they expect to make the money instead - presumably the Windows App Store? Also, I'm very curious to see where business will go with this. I expect once software is ready for Windows 8, Windows 10 won't be a big issue.

I think their business is shifting to services and applications vs licensing for the OS.

Edit: Also, it's only a free upgrade for the first year. I'm sure they collect fees on new PCs with the license.

Last edited:
as long as media center works on 10 then I will have about 15 computers going from 7/8 to 10. Will be nice to run a single OS

This for me as well. My entire house will be Windows 10 if WMC is fine.

Hmmm. Wonder if I'll be able to install Win 10 on my Baytrail tablet (currently using Android)? I've got an unused Win 7 license which can't be installed on the tablet (as far as I'm aware), so it would be nice to be able to 'upgrade' this and try Win 10 on the tablet.

Hmmm. Wonder if I'll be able to install Win 10 on my Baytrail tablet (currently using Android)? I've got an unused Win 7 license which can't be installed on the tablet (as far as I'm aware), so it would be nice to be able to 'upgrade' this and try Win 10 on the tablet.

Interesting. What stopped you from installing? Baytrail is x86?

No Bluetooth keyboard is a starter! To access any of the UEFI settings you need a keyboard (or so I'm told). The UEFI sector is a bit dodgy on the chinatab I've got as well (Teclast X98 Air 3G - the name flows off the tongue, doesn't it?) , 32-bit only, but it is possible to install a dual boot UEFI 'bios' so I could partition the internal memory to have both an Android and Win 8 partition. I don't use it too much so the Android 4.4 installation is fine for now, but I may well transition to Win 10 if I get the chance. I have techie urge to try out Win 10, however, when the time comes!

I'm kinda interested how the new xbox app will integrate with existing games. If it doesn't require specific developer support and is basically a really slick "games explorer" with live integration then it might be interesting. Cant help thinking its been beaten to the punch by steam big picture mode though. I guess if you can start the xbox app (and navigate it of course) directly from the xbox control pad - via the centre x button - then it might have an advantage.

I wonder why they only allow free update for windows 7 and windows 8. If they truely choose to go for the free update route (as in not subscrition), this would be excellent opportunity to get rid of some of those pesky xp and vista machines.

Because of the really old crappy hardware that XP would be running on for a start.

Yea xp is from 2002 with minimum requirements of

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
      • Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
      • At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
      • At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Also now that XP is EOL its going to be replaced rather quickly anyway

Using steam survey http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey as of dec windows xp is only 4% of the market.

The tough nut for MS is to get windows 7 moved over. 7 64bit is 46.53 and 32 bit is 11.21% . That is what MS wants to move. That huge chunk of people on 7. Everyone on 8 will move anyway since it should appear through the app store as a free upgrade. Vista isn't even 2% of the market. But to really cut down on the number of 7 users out there is a big deal and I think a lot of people are going to bite

Once in a blue moon my home PC spontaneously decides to boot from my non-SSD drive instead, and then it starts Windows 7 instead of 8. Even though I work with 7 in the office (because few companies want to pay for an upgrade outside of the regular laptop replacement cycle), it really drives home to me how much more I prefer Windows 8 over 7. But my wife is one of those people that hates that 8 is too different from 7, and she'll appreciate going to 10 I'm fairly sure.

She hates Office 2013 more though - not functionally, but the way it looks. I agree to some extent - there's just not enough contrast.

I don't dislike 8, except for the metro part... When the ability to boot straight to desktop were made available, I almost never touched metro and its apps again (except for mail and ie). I like the winkey+s.
Edit: I don't know if it's better than just winkey on win7, but coming from XP, it's great. Although I use win7 in the office, I don't think I ever need to use it so much because all the apps that I want to open is within reach. On win8 is a must.

Last edited:
I'm on W7 64bit but W10 for me will definitely be a day 1 upgrade. W8 is the only Windows version I ever skipped but I'm getting itchy feet now and W10 looks to offer a much nicer package than 8 ever did. The incentive of a free move is definitely a bit ne for me (even if it is just for the first year). Iwould have moved anyway but likely not stright away. With the free incentive though I'm definitely 100% going. Good move MS.

Will it cost less to purchase too ?
If it's like usual releases, it will run slower on my existing computer, so not interested in upgrading, but for the next, I'd like to buy an OS for about 60€ if that's possible...

Will it cost less to purchase too ?
If it's like usual releases, it will run slower on my existing computer, so not interested in upgrading, but for the next, I'd like to buy an OS for about 60€ if that's possible...
Buy a new hard drive. Install your existing Windows on it. Upgrade to 10. Keep it aside. And when you are ready switch over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back