Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they notice it starts competing with the xbox too much, cripple it somehow, before next years renewed focus on PC gaming ... rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure if that's true. With this xbox being x86 it shouldn't be long before even cheap pc's are able to play xbox one games. For MS they should be able to make the same money if it goes through xbox for windows or xbox for xbox one. in actuality if they could get the same amount of first and third party sales on the pc they would make more money overall since there is no physical disc cost.

Indeed, even so though, I assume the common OS and API (plus largely similar hardware outside of the memory architecure) would make things a lot easier for you guys compared to previous console generations?
Yes. Porting to PC is definitely easier now. PS3 was radically different (SPUs) and the the PPC CPU architectures of both last gen consoles required lots of special care (making the code messy and hard to maintain).

This is curious.
Last night I updated my Win10 tech preview to the latest build - oh boy did that cause a headache in the end. On Win10 side everything was fine, but somehow updating it to new built messed up my Win8.1 installation which resides on completely different hard drive and they're not aware of each other via boot manager or such either.
When I came back to Win 8.1, CCC thought I don't have AMD graphics card anymore, reinstalling and uninstalling drivers didn't work (several errors about temp folders and what not). Also Windows thought both my monitor and TV are my TV. Removing the video card from device manager didn't help either, still couldn't install drivers for it.
Few reboots later, Windows decided to run some "disk repair" thing on a drive that neither Win10 nor Win 8.1 is installed on. Still, after it, nothing really changed.
Then I ran sfc /scannow, during which (probably not related to running it but still it happened during) my screens blinked and suddenly I had the previously removed Catalyst Omega's installed again, CCC worked fine too, and so did everything else by the looks of it.
sfc did find some errors and now my machine is telling me to reboot to fix drive errors but I'm afraid to :D

And no, the hard drives don't seem to be broken, they go through all the tests with flying colours.

Hey Dave, do you know if MS is planning on adding back the proper Cleartype for us Desktop users? Or is there some way that AMD can force it via drivers?
Am disappointed with the apparent lack of it on my test PC at work.

hoom what do you mean? I have cleartype on my windows 10 install. Just bring up the start menu and type clear type and it will load it up

anybody tried Win 10 with kinect? does the Cortana able to hear you as good as Xbox?

on Windows 7 and 8.1, windows does understand that Kinect is a multi-array microphone but it does not "isolate" the voice. It act as if its an usual mic.

I wonder why they only allow free update for windows 7 and windows 8:-?
It's probably because XP isn't supported anymore plus the OS might not be compatible with the XP era hardware. Basically, if you can run Win7 and up then you can run Win10. With XP there might be compatibility issues. As for Vista... That I don't really know. Maybe because almost nobody use it. If that's the case, might just as well convert those small number of Vista users to W10.

Are there any performance reports yet ?
Win 7 vs Win 10 especially ?

I usually don't upgrade, but I'm curious, when watching the kernel team videos on MS website they talk about a lot of clever stuff, but I always wonder how it ends up as...
(There concurrency library isn't nearly as fast as I expected, but that's most likely because it's more robust than what I need.)

It's probably because XP isn't supported anymore plus the OS might not be compatible with the XP era hardware. Basically, if you can run Win7 and up then you can run Win10. With XP there might be compatibility issues. As for Vista... That I don't really know. Maybe because almost nobody use it. If that's the case, might just as well convert those small number of Vista users to W10.

I suspect it makes testing harder, compared to how many users still run Vista. Just doesn't pay off - those users will likely get new hardware soon anyway. I think it's a smart decision. It's not without risks - they were making a lot of money selling Windows - but not taking the smaller risk of moving to a service/platform and making money from there, could mean the death of the platform altogether eventually.

I can say that for me the latest build feels (subjectively) smoother than 7 & 8.1 in general desktop use. I did upgrade, no fresh install.

But apparently you were interested in some API peformance, Roderic..

(There concurrency library isn't nearly as fast as I expected, but that's most likely because it's more robust than what I need.)

Which one, the PPL? Do you have any particular things that bother you there? If you do drop me a few lines (or if there are some other libs you are concerned with).

Anyone here successfully dual booted on a macbook? That's what I'm going to try. Seems like bootcamp handles it fine. Curious to know if all of the hardware is supported, like thunderbolt ports, and if there are drivers for Intel Iris Pro that work. I'm going to play around as much as I can and provide whatever feedback I can, but I'd also like to install Unreal Engine and maybe one game to play around with. Not going to do anything serious with it until it's stable commercial product, but I think giving feedback where I can will be fun.

Windows10 is the first OS to seriously make me consider abandoning OSX, if it turns out as advertised.

downloading the ISO. gonna install it on my "Experiment" partition :D
hopefully it will properly detect the multiboot

2 hours left...

downloading the ISO. gonna install it on my "Experiment" partition :D
hopefully it will properly detect the multiboot

2 hours left...
Just a headsup, it may mess your other Windows installations somehow (see my previous post in this thread)
I'd suggest forgetting multiboot and removing all other hard drives when installing and use mobo's boot options to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back