Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a new hard drive. Install your existing Windows on it. Upgrade to 10. Keep it aside. And when you are ready switch over!
Are you assuming it's going to be an inline upgrade only? Surely at some point you get a windows key which then post-first year you can use.

It'll require all your keys. IIRC going from 7 -> 8 was an upgrade only key I can't use my key to install from a pure Win8 binary. At least I haven't been able to.

Will it cost less to purchase too ?
If it's like usual releases, it will run slower on my existing computer, so not interested in upgrading, but for the next, I'd like to buy an OS for about 60€ if that's possible...

I believe they ran out of features that would make it slow down. WinFS would be a great slowdown feature, but it's still not there and it wouldn't even make that much sense.
Really, it's a wash between Vista/7/8/8.1/10. If anything, they worked on the back ends relentlessly i.e. kernel, graphics subsystems, security and so on. They had a drive to make their stuff work on servers and cell phones. Putting squares in the task bar didn't take meaningful CPU resources.

Me, I'd like to have Windows 10 back ends and the Vista interface (with some of the additions like multiple desktops and the improved command line terminal), but well.

I'm kinda interested how the new xbox app will integrate with existing games. If it doesn't require specific developer support and is basically a really slick "games explorer" with live integration then it might be interesting. Cant help thinking its been beaten to the punch by steam big picture mode though. I guess if you can start the xbox app (and navigate it of course) directly from the xbox control pad - via the centre x button - then it might have an advantage.

I don't think any of the Xbox Live features will work with old games. I mean, party chat should work no matter what game you're playing, but game invites, leaderboards, achievements would need to be coded using the Xbox Live API.

I don't think any of the Xbox Live features will work with old games. I mean, party chat should work no matter what game you're playing, but game invites, leaderboards, achievements would need to be coded using the Xbox Live API.

Yeah no doubt you're right on that score. I'm not very familiar with Live but I was thinking about the more generic things like chat, and specifically just integration into the games library which the old Game Explorer was always very weak at.

Yeah no doubt you're right on that score. I'm not very familiar with Live but I was thinking about the more generic things like chat, and specifically just integration into the games library which the old Game Explorer was always very weak at.

Chat will work. Game DVR will work, supposedly. It looked like it picked up your steam games in the game list. So those kind of universal features that are not tied into particular games should be good.

The latest preview build is up now. Currently installing for me. Let's see how much of the features they have included.

I wonder how the cross porting of games between XBO and PC will be effected by the move to Windows 10 and DX12? Along with the more or less common hardware underneath it seems as thought the XBO and the PC are going to be extremely similar from a developers point of view (now right down to controls, interface and potentially Live integration). I can't really see any incentive remaining for all developers not to release their XBO games on the PC as standard unless their is a specific exclusivity deal.

I wonder how the cross porting of games between XBO and PC will be effected by the move to Windows 10 and DX12? Along with the more or less common hardware underneath it seems as thought the XBO and the PC are going to be extremely similar from a developers point of view (now right down to controls, interface and potentially Live integration). I can't really see any incentive remaining for all developers not to release their XBO games on the PC as standard unless their is a specific exclusivity deal.

It's a smart move. The real money in Xbox is in the Store content. If they bring Xbox Store to PC, and give people all of the features they expect attached to the Xbox name, they can maybe wrestle back a big chunk of the market from Steam. Games For Windows Live was basically a joke. This time they're doing monthly updates and feature-parity. I have high hopes for it.

They're also giving publishers the option to release their games as "Cross-Buy."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/23/xbox-one-pc-cross-buy-to-be-handled-on-a-game-to-game-basis

From what I can tell the only exclusivity deals that MS has are that exclusive games can't be ported to a competing console. PC is fine, but PC cannot be allowed to delay the console release.

Basically what I see happening is that 3rd party exclusives that weren't planned for PC (I can't think of any that weren't) will likely have a PC included. And for those that already planned for a PC release, the PC release won't be as delayed as it is currently. Microsoft have been really good about allowing Xbox One exclusives to get a PC release.

Also, it appears they will be allowing publishers the ability to determine if a title will support cross licensing. IE - buy the Xbox version and get the PC version for free, for example. I'm not sure many publishers would be too keen on that, however. But perhaps indie developers will pave the way in this area.

Regards,
SB

So I just write something long about this and it failed to send. Now I'm going to shorten it.
My question about all of this is how about Steam? Origin? Uplay? Would you still need to register to Uplay on PC when I buy a Ubi game from MS? Or MS store can function as a dumb store? Or Ubi simply wouldn't sell on it? Or we can buy different versions on PC (MS, Steam) making the PC more fragmented.
Personally, I like Steam the most because it is the cheapest. I'm not talking about discount but more about the different currency rate that Steam apply. FYI, almost all big online app store apply their on rate vs straight currency conversion, but Steam is the most generous out of all the stores. New games at $50-60 games can be bought at $30-40, and yes, that is the initial price. I don't think MS is that generous (current MS app store is better than Google play in terms of rate, but not at the level of Steam).
Maybe this should be splitted into its own discussion.

You can buy your games wherever you want. They should show up in your game library on Windows10, from what they've said. I imagine if the game is a Steam purchase, when you launch the game it'll go through whatever Steam authentication it normally would, as if you'd clicked the shortcut to lunch the game in your start menu. Any games that use Steam services would still load Steam. Any Origin games would still operate through Origin etc. It'll just be a new Xbox store plus a convenient place to launch your games no matter where you purchased them.

But if they implement cross buy that would mean to probably use live. Thus it probably be a live game instead of steam.

I can't see Microsoft simply opening up to all games services, especially some of their own titles. Isn't one of the purposes of W10 and the store for MS to make money from it?

I can't see Microsoft simply opening up to all games services, especially some of their own titles. Isn't one of the purposes of W10 and the store for MS to make money from it?

The steam functionality is just to get the massive hords of steam users use to using xbox on the pc. MS will be competing with steam for game sales.

Until they notice it starts competing with the xbox too much, cripple it somehow, before next years renewed focus on PC gaming ... rinse and repeat.

Along with the more or less common hardware underneath it seems as thought the XBO and the PC are going to be extremely similar from a developers point of view (now right down to controls, interface and potentially Live integration).
The memory architectures differ a significantly. Xbox One has ESRAM + unified memory. Gaming PCs have discrete GPU with separate memory.

Broadwell (Intel) and Kaveri (AMD) have unified memory and support cache coherence between the CPU and the integrated GPU. If a game needs CPU<->GPU cache coherence, these two would be the only PC chips to fullfill that requirement.

The memory architectures differ a significantly. Xbox One has ESRAM + unified memory. Gaming PCs have discrete GPU with separate memory.

Broadwell (Intel) and Kaveri (AMD) have unified memory and support cache coherence between the CPU and the integrated GPU. If a game needs CPU<->GPU cache coherence, these two would be the only PC chips to fullfill that requirement.

Indeed, even so though, I assume the common OS and API (plus largely similar hardware outside of the memory architecure) would make things a lot easier for you guys compared to previous console generations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back