Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, they've confirmed Win10 will be released late 2015 (Q4)

Oh ok.
I was planning to seeing if the company would pay for Build for me this year, and I was under the assumption there would be close to release around that time (around/after build). But I guess later wouldn't be an issue, they need to give us time to work with the new OS and have apps ready for deployment.

This article indicated mid 2015. But seldom are people correct this far out.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-10-coming-mid-2015-build-developer-conference-next-april

Or symbolically, a release before Server 2003's death (14 july)

Did anybody run the "ver" command? what is it on Win 10 : NT 6.3, NT 6.4?

No need to run it, it's mentioned elsewhere too ;)
It's NT 6.4 and the preview is build 9841
NT6.3 is Win 8.1

No, every 2nd release isn't crap
Lol, next you're going to try to convince us the Ballmer Peak is just made up :LOL:
ballmer_peak.png

Well I think the return of the "start menu" does a good job at hiding MSFT difficulty with Windows and its personal business altogether.
The enforcement of the "start screen" in non touch device was a mistake, yet the issue MSFT is more severe now that they've come back to the desktop how will they convince devs to develops "metro apps".
Universal apps is nice but why bother? People using the "desktop" are unlikely to browse MSFT store for anything serious. Actually MSFT knows and is t make more standard X86 applications available to through their store.
Another thing, their store sucks. IMo they are doing plenty of mistakes and are too slow at correcting them, not too mention really go in the righ direction. One step forward , one step backward.

Meanwhile Google is gaining more and more traction, their Material design is already taking over the whole web. It goes on saying the grip Google has now on personal computer.
I think MSFT is done in the personal computer realm. It is just a matter of time now.

At this point (looking at the whole picture (windows + winphone) I think they should embrace either Android or Chrome and leverage their strong points on those platforms. I would go with Android as Chrome is a closed environment with a lot less opportunities.

(I don't mean to discontinue Windows but just deal with it as a "serious" profesionnal OS.)

Android and Chrome are still unsuitable for many tasks. They are nice content consumption devices and that's about it, IMO.

I don't see Android or Chrome seriously threatening Windows OS in the near future. Perhaps further down the road if Google makes them into a serious OS.

Regards,
SB

Ms still owns the business market...

Games are still mostly Windows only/first. (Talking OS there not systems.)
Herm my bad didn't read properly.
Not sure why MS still owns the business market, might have something to do with ease of use/support.

Games are still mostly Windows only/first.
The only other (relatively) major computer gaming OS is OSX, and it still has a tiny marketshare in comparison. Linux... Forget it. :) Valve is still fumbling around with SteamOS, but at this point I consider it entirely dead on arrival. They're just too fucking slow to execute (and secretive!) to be able to succeed.

Not sure why MS still owns the business market, might have something to do with ease of use/support.
Don't forget tradition. People have grown up on MS OSes, UIs and productivity software. It's what everyone are used to, unless you're a Mac-head, and those are mostly just audio-visual oriented these days. Desktop publishing was a big Mac thing in the past, not sure nowadays. Probably windows-based, it tends to be more cost effective since Macs are so expensive.

Back on topic, supposedly big update coming with 7000 updates to the system like notifications etc from user feedback

Has any date for it been announced? I can't wait to dump this POS win8, but the first public release looks rather rough from what I've read, so I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place right now... :) I even had to re-install the other day, due to IE completely crapping out on me, it was unbelievable and outrageous. Took better part of a day to get my stuff up and running again, and if I hadn't had a 200Mbit/s internet connection these days it would have taken much longer.

Has any date for it been announced? I can't wait to dump this POS win8, but the first public release looks rather rough from what I've read, so I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place right now... :) I even had to re-install the other day, due to IE completely crapping out on me, it was unbelievable and outrageous. Took better part of a day to get my stuff up and running again, and if I hadn't had a 200Mbit/s internet connection these days it would have taken much longer.

In case you didn't see it: Though Windows 8 hides it, you can still make Image backups to another hard drive. Go to Control Panel and click on "File History" (or type "File History" into Search). On the bottom left corner you should see "System Image Backup". That works like it did under 7, IIRC. Though restoring is different.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

Android and Chrome are still unsuitable for many tasks. They are nice content consumption devices and that's about it, IMO.
I agree, yet both are threatening enough so MSFT gave up on on their license fees on anything 9 inch and less.
Chrome OS is Google garden, it looks pretty closed not much room for MSFT here.

Android is another story though, I think MSFT could branch off from Android though in a different manner than Amazon.
I would try to make so it is a "controlled" Android environment, they could provide custom UI, cortana, etc. but the selling point would not be the their store (which sucks) but a more "work friendly environment" with a great integration of MSFT Office (online and offline) along with their other services (clouds, bing, their take on maps,etc.).
Those services would be seperately available on google play but that level of integration would only be available on MIcrosoft Lumia device.

They should also bring Directx 12 to Android and "Live", I would make that exclusive to their phone, tablets and laptop and STB/Desktop (real desktop more likely to use use Windows but there could be exception ultimately consumers decide).

I don't see Android or Chrome seriously threatening Windows OS in the near future. Perhaps further down the road if Google makes them into a serious OS.
SB
Android won by KO already against all the version of Windows phone OS. Android is the Windows of the new era in that realm Apple manage to maintain its role a challenger (profitable challenger).
Android is not working well with laptop desktop, but ChromeOS is progressing fast and Android Apps are coming. If both meet in a convenient and successful way it could snowball pretty fast.

Ms still owns the business market...
Yop agreed I think nobody stated otherwise.
They still also own some niches power users, gamers, but lot of costumers are using Windows by "default" at this point Improvement in ChromeOS and increasingly aggressive moves from Apple could (will in my opinion) leave MSFT with those shrinking niches (+the professional real).

They could definitely make lots money and be profitable if they don't spend their precious, even though abundant, on battles lost in advance.

Are you proposing windows mobile should essentially become a fork of android, loli...? :???: That sounds like a killer blow to MS power ambitions. If they don't control their own ecosystem they relegate themselves to a bit player.

Well they are spending insane amount of money to get pretty much nowhere: winphones sales are getting down.
They just released a new app /lockscreen for Android, they own Nokia now=> they can create something they control partially as well as selling software /subscription.
They are in a tough spot in the personal realm, their pain just started and there are no easy way out.

Now they control what 3% of the market, a pretty low end segment on top of it, they invest tenth of billions, I guess they can try to grow the market artificially that market by incorporating the amount they poor in sustaining it and retaining control.

I've said it before, will say it again. MS needs to push for convergence, they already have most of the technology needed.

A quad core Cherry Trail phone running a XB1 style hypervisor with phone baseband in one guest and a full blown Win 10 in another.

Docking would be as simple as putting your phone on a Qi charger pad, using Miracast for screen output and Bluetooth for keyboard+mouse.

Cheers

If I listen to the pessimistic side of me I would word more like: MSFT needed to push convergence.
Google is moving really fast, on many front at the same time, as some articles I read pointed they always try different approaches, at least 2:
GMail /Waves, ChromeOS / ANdroid, Chromecast/google tv (now nexus player). etc.

And their design choices are great too, for example the Desktop (Windows) is a great tool but MSFT rendition of it is the more conservative /less innovative of the different actors (vs Linux or MacOs).
Windows 10, so starting next year, is going to improve things significantly yet how long till the word reaches a significant part of the user base.

Android is the new "windows" environment, it is open (vs Apple) but it is diverse and it suffer from that. Google tries to make thing better better with initiative as "Android One" or "Android Silver", it seems that the market players are reacting adversely to those actions as they have an incentive to differentiate from one another.

I belief MSFT could have a shot at getting Android into less "random" territories. I see noreason for them to prevent the use of the "Play Store" it would most likely just ending triggering counter-reaction from google but as I said they can customize the experience so it blend with Windows (mostly the Pro side), the Office, Mails, /productivity at large offering, etc. use their online service and clouds.
They could control the hardware and offer Nexus type of support along with a subscription model.

I would position on one side toward more professional use and extending to the targets that want reliability, the best productivity tools, secured environment,etc.
On the other side I would push "Live" along with Direct x12 toward gamers that want more serious games than what they will get on Google Play Store.

Now even aiming at the right target I don't think they have eons to deliver as Google is improving fast and its grip on everything connect is already close to overwhelming and what with that "PC gaming stronghold" if at some point Apple introduce Metal to the MAC?
Apple will have a comprehensive and complete offer shit load of mobiles Apps. real "desktop/productivity environment".

What's for Google in such a move? Well it would prevent them the need to push their own line of devices (which may be illed perceived by the market actors), it would not alter their revenue through their stores. MSFT keeps Bing going (no monopole legal headache).
In some way MSFT would be like "Redhat" in the Linux world: a paying (should be subscription based) distro of Android bundled with top of the lines productivity application and/or gaming depending on the type of contract.

I belief MSFT could have a shot at getting Android into less "random" territories. I see noreason for them to prevent the use of the "Play Store" it would most likely just ending triggering counter-reaction from google but as I said they can customize the experience so it blend with Windows (mostly the Pro side), the Office, Mails, /productivity at large offering, etc. use their online service and clouds.
They could control the hardware and offer Nexus type of support along with a subscription model.

I still fail to see why MS would ever use Android when they have a perfectly fine ecosystem of their own.

99.9% of the apps in the Play store are crapware and not suitable for use in any capacity, IMO. And finding that 0.1% of good apps is a royal PITA.

As I've said before, Android devices are fine media consumption devices (web, music, movies, social) but totally fails at anything remotely serious, including serious games.

This is the same thing we've been hearing for over 2 decades now. Windows is going to fail while [MacOS/Linux/OS2/BeOS/Android/iOS/whatever] take over.

If Google ever moves to make it into a full blown OS with strict control over all UI aspects, at that point MS might have to worry. But until then? They only have to worry if they fail to deliver a good Windows experience. The fact that they have trouble entering new markets doesn't necessarily impact their core Windows and Services products.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back