Volari screenshots

vnet said:
I find it wonderful that XGI even bothers to continue support for those old antics from Trident. nVidia doesn't even bother to support the VooDoo series after their merger, whereas XGI still cares bout Trident's customers.
nVidia didn't merge with 3dfx, they just bought some of their assets. There are no Voodoo-based products from nVidia, why should they support other company's products?

vnet said:
Goes to show how "keeping face" is important over in Asia and I am impressed at their customer care.
Personally, I don't consider constant lying about their products architecture very helpful "keeping face".

vnet said:
Yu can't honestly compare prices of the Volari with prices of Radeon on Pricewatch simply because the Volari is not available in the USA!
Just look at the huge price difference of Volari prices in Europe and China and you will see where I'm getting to. In the same way, Radeons and Geforces are much more expensive in Europe than in the States.
If I lived in China, I might care about prices in China, but as I'm living in Germany, there goes that.

Anyway, even at $200, the Duo is still a very bad deal as you can get a perfectly fine 9800 Pro for roughly the same. I'd like to see some single V8 reviews, though, who knows, it may be an OK buy at $100. (not holding my breath, though)

cu

incurable

Veridian3 said:
Hi all,

I'm going to follow up the Driverheaven volari review with an update using the new drivers (probably this weekend). Anything you guys would specifically like tested/checked?

I think just an update on all the test you've already performed would be nice. Someting similar to hardwaretweaker...

mboeller said:
ben6 said:
Well keep in mind they came from the last generation of Trident cards, which if I recall correctly, didn't even have DX7 T+L as their features (I may be wrong). I forgot the 9880 featureset, but the 8900 and 9750 were at best 2D cards.

Link :
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1681
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1673

The XP4 is Trident's first desktop DirectX 8.1 GPU that is supposed to offer 80% of the performance of a GeForce4 Ti 4600 at $99. We know, talk is cheap, but let's see if Trident is on to something even reasonably viable with this little chip.

Except, the 9880 and 9900 aren't XP4s, they're from the generation BEFORE that from Trident.

I'm sure I read somewhere (on VolariGamers I believe) that there is still a problem in Halo - forgot the specifics though

Veridian3 said:
Hi all,

I'm going to follow up the Driverheaven volari review with an update using the new drivers (probably this weekend). Anything you guys would specifically like tested/checked?

MDolenc's fillrate tester.

Veridian3 said:
I'd appreciate newer engines:

• Halo, both PS1.x and PS2.0--but with a custom demo, not the default "intro" one, as I don't think it stresses the shaders enough to differentiate between shader versions
  • X2: The Thread, both with and without shadows
  • Far Cry, both PS1.x and PS2.0
  • and Wolfenstein: ET, because I think it's a great game that's coincidentally free, and a nice excuse to test older engines.

Thanks Veridian3. Don't forget to provide a link when you're done with it. I'd also ask for UT2k4 demo benches, yet I'm afraid it's limited to "normal" quality.

Basic said:
tEd:
Add another arrow with a new flashy color at (X, Y) = (850, 570).
That will point at a missing strand of grass. Not a big difference, but could be an indication of something interesting. Think of another company that removed stuff that wasn't visible anyway...

BTW, what's the two yellow dots in front of the butterfly doing in your image.

fireflys

Pete said:
Veridian3 said:
I'd appreciate newer engines:

• Halo, both PS1.x and PS2.0--but with a custom demo, not the default "intro" one, as I don't think it stresses the shaders enough to differentiate between shader versions
  • X2: The Thread, both with and without shadows
  • Far Cry, both PS1.x and PS2.0
  • and Wolfenstein: ET, because I think it's a great game that's coincidentally free, and a nice excuse to test older engines.

Halo, No problem.
X2 i dont have however i'll see what i can do.
Enemy Teritory i'll check out.

As for UT2004, i'll try to get a hold of it over the weekend and check that as well.

I don't understand.

You write this :

Max Payne 2
Reactor 1.01.51 – Would not run.
Reactor 1.02.05 – Would not run.

As with the older drivers attempting to run Max Payne 2 with 1.02.05 resulted in a crash on the Duo v8

Yet you *somehow* managed to take some screesnhots of Volari in Max Payne 2 in your image quality test and even said:

Things of note:
Max Payne 2: Banding in darker areas
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Volari/12imagequality.htm

If the game does not even run, then how did you manage to take the screenshots and more important, how did you notice banding??????
It just doesn't make any sense to me...

Another thing, you mention this :
As with the 1.01.51 driver DVD playback is still overly bright. XGI informed us that this is due to a video setting being applied twice (once by the drivers and once by the playback software, in this case Power DVD 5).

Did you try any of the following :
- change gamma settings
- disable the "Digital Vibrance Control" like feature called Coloramp (I believe)
- disable the "Vivid colours" setting in Power DVD or try different different video settings in Power DVD
- try different programs like Windows Media Player or Win DVD

vnet said:
I don't understand.

You write this :

Max Payne 2
Reactor 1.01.51 – Would not run.
Reactor 1.02.05 – Would not run.

As with the older drivers attempting to run Max Payne 2 with 1.02.05 resulted in a crash on the Duo v8

Yet you *somehow* managed to take some screesnhots of Volari in Max Payne 2 in your image quality test and even said:

read what he wrote about it in the review.

Back