PS4 Pro, checkerboard rendering

Yeah, they should have sent a press kit and some "gifts", party like it's the 90's.

I honestly think they probably shouldn't have streamed the PlayStation Meeting. At least then the backlash would be about not providing a livestream instead of a bunch of misinformation from people more interested in live-riffing on Twitch than accurate reporting.

I honestly think they probably shouldn't have streamed the PlayStation Meeting. At least then the backlash would be about not providing a livestream instead of a bunch of misinformation from people more interested in live-riffing on Twitch than accurate reporting.

This, you can't really convey how UHD and HDR look through a low bitrate stream on youtube and twitch. Just like you can't really sell VR on a live demo. Both of these things have to be experienced first hand. Sony didn't even make an effort to release the Pro footage at an acceptable bitrate and in HDR for those who have UHD/HDR sets.

Isn't that true about many things these days? People don't buy a car from a couple of videos they see on youtube, they tend to go try it or see it in person at least. Or a new TV. Probably even a new phone, a lot of the time.

Sure sounds like Sony is suffering from lack of control of their message to the point where people are going to think its a confusing and mixed message they're sending.
I think it is more an effect of a non understood "minority law", companies should have never engaged in social media, a couple well crafteed (/useless) PR aside. They are filled by intolerant, full of themselves, spoiled, people that was given a perfect opportunity to matter...
As for the upscaling technique and what SOny does (checkboard OR foveat, or something else) I'm eager to learn the approach Sony will promote.
I'm curious to know if there is a bottom entry point or more precisely where it is: starting from where the pixel quality is considered good enough (I guess I consider the number of pixels, precision before the final resolved in the framebuffer, texture quality and filtering). Woud starting from 720P and going to 1080p produce good as good a result? I suspect not, and that it gets worse the lower the resolution drop compare the information contained (geometry, texture,etc.) before rendering.

Yep.

Kinda funny, gamestop, ign, and giant bomb, just made shit up and provided zero information, none of them could even be bothered to show up at the meeting (all expenses paid), to at least relay what they saw on a real 4K HDR screen. You know, doing their job instead of inviting like-minded friends over to their show, and never look up facts. Greg used to provide intelligent discussions, now he works for a dumpster publication selling clothes and microwave food from sponsors.

Richard is getting ahead of the pack because he understands some of the technology involved, and he's talking about things which precedes Mark Cerny seminar about 4k reconstruction. After that, at least it should be picked up by most incompetent click whores. Maybe I'm rude. I'm very rude, I'll edit my post later when I am sober, possibly guilt ridden.
yup, listened to the giant bombcast, I was like what the hell is this.

I had to stop listening to the Giant Bombcast when they started running ads for gambling sites.

The version used by CoD seems to be working on pixel not quad level.

My guess is that it's similar to what was found in Rainbow Six. (render to 2xMSAA shade both samples place in final resolution buffer, next frame switch sample locations to complete checkerboard.)

As I understand it, checkerboard rendering works per pixel. It just alternates the pixel arrangement to fit the quads of the GPU. If you're looking for 2x2 pixel arrangements, you shouldn't be finding them.

As I understand it, checkerboard rendering works per pixel. It just alternates the pixel arrangement to fit the quads of the GPU. If you're looking for 2x2 pixel arrangements, you shouldn't be finding them.

Valve's checkerboard rendering paper suggested using 2x2 pixel arrangements. When the checkerboard story first broke, that's what DF pointed to. Not that it's necessarily how they're actually doing it.

Rainbow six renders at 1/4 resolution with 2xMSAA and saves two samples per pixel, if I remember correctly. It also has a fairly complicated process for reconstruction.

There's also the possibility that COD is doing something custom. Until they have the hardware talk about how it works, not idea how to tell which games are using Sony's method, and which are doing custom. Repi said on twitter that Mass Effect was custom, but wouldn't talk details.

The London Studio trick (resolution gradient) was also using complete quads in their presentation. But that was for the original PS4. Maybe the PS4 Pro hardware allows something different...

The screenshots for Horizon ZD show pixel-level dithering, not quad-level. If reconstructing in a 2x2 box, you shouldn't get that sort of dithering. It's fairly straightforward to look at the concept and conclude that alternating quads over columns/rows and frames would give you pixel-level information for reconstruction, so there'd have to be a good reason not to do that.

Addressing this from another direction, what does @jlippo see in the video to suggest it is pixel level and not quad level?

The screenshots for Horizon ZD show pixel-level dithering, not quad-level. If reconstructing in a 2x2 box, you shouldn't get that sort of dithering. It's fairly straightforward to look at the concept and conclude that alternating quads over columns/rows and frames would give you pixel-level information for reconstruction, so there'd have to be a good reason not to do that.

Addressing this from another direction, what does @jlippo see in the video to suggest it is pixel level and not quad level?
Both London studios and Valve agreed, when explaining their methods, that doing the checkerboard pattern at per-pixel granularity would be preferable quality-wise, but it was a concession they did because gpus shade fragments in 2x2 groups, or, pixel quads. That might help z-compression too, but I have no idea. They probably could have used custom MSAA resolve, but its a more complicated implementation, and in their case, they were using this to just reduce resolution at screen edges that end up distorted and scaled down anyways in the final VR buffer. For a full screen planar image as in PS4 pro, a more refined checker-board method is definetly warranted, but we still don't know sony's strategy.

What they describe there is ps4 friendly. Maybe the "custom hardware features" (or whatever it was called) to improve checkerboard speed is precisely related to making pixel sized checkered patterns work more efficiently.

What they describe there is ps4 friendly. Maybe the "custom hardware features" (or whatever it was called) to improve checkerboard speed is precisely related to making pixel sized checkered patterns work more efficiently.
Checkered patterns are not rendered as such.
Samples are non-interleaved until the combination pass. (Ie. In 2xMSAA buffer.)

Checkered patterns are not rendered as such.
Samples are non-interleaved until the combination pass. (Ie. In 2xMSAA buffer.)
That was not the case with valve's and london's naive implemebtations, which they admited themselves to be early experiments with room for improvement. They did reportetly produce good enough results as is though. Check out their respective presentations.

That was not the case with valve's and london's naive implemebtations, which they admited themselves to be early experiments with room for improvement. They did reportetly produce good enough results as is though. Check out their respective presentations.
Yes, both of them worked by dropping/masking quads.
My response was aimed for the pixel sized checkerboard.

I really doubt that there is anything new in Ps4 to bypasses quad limitation, just classic tricks to render interleaved patterns in non-interleaved way.

This generation will certainly be interesting in terms of how we think resolution and shading resolution. (spatial and temporal.)
I'm sure there will be lots of interesting tricks. :)

Back