Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Sequel to Alpha Centauri, but new name because EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri name

Probably the biggest news of the week has just hit the Indie Retro News HQ as Sid Meier is back with a new Alpha Centauri (1999), one of the greatest sci-fi turn based strategy games I've ever played. Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth as it's titled, will not be a simple remake of Alpha Centauri but rather a "what would happen after Civilization V" (according to the devs). There will also be 3 types of planets from lush vegetation to airy decaying worlds. You will start with an Outpost and your only goal will be to survive! Are you alone on this world? Will you build cities upon the lush or decaying landscape? Will this be as good as the original? Who knows, but I'm sure many of us will be waiting for even more news on Beyond Earth!
Release date : Late 2014

(There will be orbital devices)

Goals:
- Find proof of existence of an ancient life on the planet and try to make a first contact,
- Resume contact with Earth by deploying a satellite,
- Return to Earth (if you find out it still exists),
- Host Terran refugee on your new planet.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/04/sid-meiers-civilization-beyond-earth.html

bgAvoH6l.jpg

Trailer:

It'll support AMD Mantle, too
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth has been announced by 2K and Firaxis Games. Slated for a fall/autumn release in North America and priced at $49.99, the game is being developed by Firaxis for Windows-based PC, and will be coming to Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media.

Civ: Beyond Earth is billed as a ‘science fiction-themed entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise’, delving into humanity’s future on an alien world. In a press release, Sid Meier is quoted as saying, “We’ve always let our fans create the history of mankind, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will now let them create the future.”

The game features revealed are as follows:
Seed the Adventure – Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
Alien World – Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources, and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
New Technology Web – Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
New Quest System – Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
New Orbital Layer – Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
In addition, the press release has stated that Civ: Beyond Earth ‘will be among the first wave of products optimized for the latest in AMD graphics t[echn]ologies, including: the new Mantle graphics API, for enhanced graphics performance; AMD CrossFire™, for UltraHD resolutions and extreme image quality; and AMD Eyefinity, which allows for a panoramic gameplay experience on up to six different HD displays off of a single graphics card.’
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524178

4VodZES.jpg

eQdQYbD.jpg

4op00Di.jpg

I was at the panel in Boston , these guys seem to know their stuff. After the panel I spoke with them and they told me they have made enhancements (other than mantle) to help performance. It should run better on the same hardware than civ 5

Great stuff! This time those annoying indigenous worms don't stand a chance!
he heh, maybe this game is a perfect excuse to have human like characters on other planets.

Especially now that an habitable planet has been found at a whopping 500 light years distance from Earth:

So here it is. I'm not even through a full game yet but some thoughts. At first glance it looks and feels like a civ 5 expansion pack. Many of the basic mechanics are the same. The setting and mood are nice. The aliens are a real pain in the ass before you get better units, its better to just let them have whatever territory they please rather than try to expand on their land.. The affinity system seems interesting, though I've only tried purity so far. Anyway, one more turn...

Apparently if you get an alien nest within your borders, after a while the aliens will totally ignore you (their icons will turn blue).

Depends on what you do with the aliens on if they'll ignore you or not.

Personally, I think some victories (like the beacon-thing) are far too fast and easy to get

I still like it more than CIV5, and play it in bouts in between of some dota 2. Just the fact that different affinities have different units makes for some diversity, as well as the different victory conditions and relations to those annoying bugs. Could all be an illusion though I haven't got time to have played that much, just 2 playthroughs.

Back