Unofficially RSX = G80

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what should we do with this thread?

Lock it, move it to general discussion or should we let the discussion on this unofficial confirmation go on for the fun of it?

There is nothing wrong with this thread and it should not be locked or moved. It's certainly relevant to Console Technology because it's about the GPU of the Playstion 3 video game console. Also, hopefully Sony will give the final specs for the PS3 and RSX before too long and all of this stuff can be settled. But until then I think this thread is perfectly fine, and it would be wrong to close a thread where someone like Nerve Damage was honestly trying to contribute to this community by sharing what a source of his had to say about the Playstation 3.

its going to be doing OpenGL, they dont need to be nearly as focused on the DirectX parts and capabilities of the chip..

btw dont forget this little tidbit from the conference call in febuary

RSX has been in production for quite some time. I think i'm about finished here since all thats left is speculation vs what we really know.

I wasn't even talking about compliant...I was really talking about capabilities, regardless if they fall into the defining realm of shader model (direct x) or open gl. While the RSX taped out a while ago, it isn't hard to imagine that they added a bit more robustness to the shader pipelines (not increase the number of pipelines or their configuration). That doesn't make RSX = a G80, but that doesn't make RSX exactly a G70 w/ Flex I/O tacked on either. It's obvious that RSX has been made with the PS3's overall architecture in mind. It's a somewhere in-between chip made for a console (closed-box) environment.

Lock it, move it to general discussion or should we let the discussion on this unofficial confirmation go on for the fun of it?

You could leave it open for fun for a few more minutes, until it gets really out of hand anyway.

My friend is claiming there’s “pressâ€￾ kit documentation (info) being finalized for an upcoming NVIDIA press conference. He’s quite sure on what he saw..........

moving it to general discussion is a no do - that forum has a 'No Religion' rule.

The N47 based RSX seems to be very solid. It's pulling off 1080P resolution while pulling off very good graphics at the same time with a good frame-rate. That's pretty significant in my book. I too think that the extra-shader instructions and all the small things done to the RSX could indeed add up to make it something more than an off the shelf PC part. There are probably a lot of internal tweaks that were made that we don't know about. Probably, few of them are really significant but added together they could be. Like I said before, even if this does turn out to be the final RSX I'm not going to be upset.

However, I have to admit I'm excited about the possibility of having a more directly G80 based RSX in the PS3. This would allow developers to have even more creative options. It would also be something Sony could really use to hype up their console at the October pre-launch event (if there is not another delay) to let people know that their console is indeed the most powerful.

My friend is claiming there’s “press” kit documentation (info) being finalized for an upcoming NVIDIA press conference. He’s quite sure on what he saw..........

I sure hope they release that information soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend is claiming there’s “press” kit documentation (info) being finalized for an upcoming NVIDIA press conference. He’s quite sure on what he saw..........

you mean the DX10 conference on monday where Nvidia is going to be talking about features of their next card for vista?

My friend is claiming there’s “pressâ€￾ kit documentation (info) being finalized for an upcoming NVIDIA press conference. He’s quite sure on what he saw..........
Be very wary of anything you see reported/leaked about "upcoming nVidia press conference", it's probably just Baron fucking with ya. ;)

you mean the DX10 conference on monday where Nvidia is going to be talking about features of their next card for vista?

Honestly he doesn’t know all the details.........

He’s not being vague on purpose; he just doesn’t know all the specifics. His department has nothing to do with software/hardware documentation and press releases. He just happened to catch wind (and a glimpse) of almost-finalized press event documents, dealing with Nvidia's upcoming line and Sony Playstation 3 (RSX).

Nerve Damage,

And he saw that those documents indicated the RSX was to be based on the G80? What exactly, as close as you can remember, did he tell you he saw on them?

Yeah, this is pretty much the worst thread ever.

First of all, why use a G80? Why not use two G71 derivatives in SLI? It'd be cooler, cheaper, easier to integrate on the board most likely, require less engineering, require less developer kit shenanigans this late...

Oh yeah. Because people like the G80 name because it makes them feel Big and Manly for buying a better console. Sheesh.

No, the G80 technology is more than that. It is a completely different architecture with all kinds of new methods for doing things. Also, I think everyone here would agree that putting a SLI rig in a PS3 or a full G80 would be pretty much out of the question. But I could see how putting a cut down G80 GPU in the PS3 would be possible. Basically, you would be utilizing the new pipelines of the G80 in the RSX.

Basically, if you only have so many transistors you want to spend on a GPU I would want to put in the most up to date pipelines possible.

And I find this a very good thread. :)

Honestly he doesn’t know all the details.........

He’s not being vague on purpose; he just doesn’t know all the specifics. His department has nothing to do with software/hardware documentation and press releases. He just happened to catch wind (and a glimpse) of almost-finalized press event documents, dealing with Nvidia's upcoming line and Sony Playstation 3 (RSX).
That sounds like just 2 good things for them are coupled on the paper for the sake of PR. It might be like "We proudly announce GeForce8800GTX for the PC enthusiast market in Q4 2006. For the consumer market of the same time frame we celebrate the release of the PS3 that features the state-of-the-art NVIDIA technology" etc. which doesn't confirm anything.

No, the G80 technology is more than that. It is a completely different architecture with all kinds of new methods for doing things. Also, I think everyone here would agree that putting a SLI rig in a PS3 or a full G80 would be pretty much out of the question. But I could see how putting a cut down G80 GPU in the PS3 would be possible. Basically, you would be utilizing the new pipelines of the G80 in the RSX.

Basically, if you only have so many transistors you want to spend on a GPU I would want to put in the most up to date pipelines possible.

And I find this a very good thread. :)
NO.

You know why? "Cut-down G80" = G71. You can't just magically "take away some stuff" from modern architectures and end up with a fast GPU. They're balanced the way they are for a reason, namely the types of loads that actual applications have (so they don't have way more fillrate than they do memory bandwidth or vice-versa). Having "the most up to date pipelines" is a non-sequitur. Having G80 "pipelines" (a term that means absolutely nothing) would imply having all the DX10 features (geometry shading, unified instruction sets, etc.), which makes no sense. You'd be wasting transistors. You wouldn't have devkits for it in time, you introduce new performance weirdness in current applications, and it's generally a REALLY dumb idea.

It's a modified G71. Deal with it. Yes, it's the worst thread ever because there's so much ignorance.

That sounds like just 2 good things for them are coupled on the paper for the sake of PR. It might be like "We proudly announce GeForce8800GTX for the PC enthusiast market in Q4 2006. For the consumer market of the same time frame we celebrate the release of the PS3 that features the state-of-the-art NVIDIA technology" etc. which doesn't confirm anything.

That's probably the most likely answer. We've been seeing the that stuff in press releases for years.

This is not the worst thread ever, and I think it's a perfectly suitable thread. If anyone is at fault it's Sony for being so secretive about the GPU for their future console.

A cut-down G80 does NOT equal a G71. Those are two different GPUs. If you included the G80 pipelines I KNOW I am talking about the Unified Shader architecture being in there. What I mean by my comment is lets say Sony cannot afford a 700 million transistor GPU in the PS3, but they wanted something more than a slightly modified G71. NVIDIA along with Sony would look at the G80 and find a way to reduce the number of pipelines (however they are set-up) or reconfigure the chip to have fewer transistors, have less performance, but still be better in performance than the G71 RSX.

Now, I agree. The biggest part of this we don't understand is how the developers would have time to adjust their game code. If this rumor is true (all along I've been saying I do NOT know if it's true or not) then perhaps the launch might be delayed, Sony and/or NVIDIA could send along a guide with information about the best ways to convert G71 programming into something that can run on the G80, or they could pull off something we don't yet have a clue about.

You see, I'm speculating on how this would work *if* this rumor is true. I don't know if this rumor is true. It's very possible it won't be true. But I try to be optimistic and hope for the best and not totally dismiss information like this. If this is true, what's going to be VERY interesting (due to some of the points you made) is how it's pulled off. That will be very interesting indeed!

But if it does not happen then I'm fine with that too because I'm very satisfied with the graphics coming from the G71 RSX! Games like MGS4, Afrika, Heavenly Sword, Lair, and others look stunning and I'm going to love playing them. However, if this does turn out to be true then that's a good thing for everyone involved in the long run.

My guess is RSX utilizes one core from the G80, so RSX is roughly half the power on a clock for clock basis.

16 unified geometry/vertex shaders and 32 pixel shaders (340 million transistors)
128 bit Rambus XDR bus (1080p won't be a problem)

That's probably the most likely answer. We've been seeing the that stuff in press releases for years.

Nerve Damage's friend said he saw that the RSX would utilize the G80 technology in some way. That answer is a possibility. Perhaps his friend did read the press kit documentation incorrectly. However, then again he could have read it perfectly correctly. We just don't know, but I'm excited about when we will finally find out the true nature of the RSX whatever it might be.

My guess is RSX utilizes one core from the G80, so RSX is roughly half the power on a clock for clock basis.

16 unified geometry/vertex shaders and 32 pixel shaders (340 million transistors)
128 bit Rambus XDR bus (1080p won't be a problem)

If that turns out to true it would be absolutely fantastic news!

Brimstone have you lost your mind? Between this theory of yours and posting the 'will PS3 base SKU play BD' thing, I almost feel like we need to arrange an intervention for you or something! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back