Full transcript of Gabe Newell's 1up videos.

either way it's gonna be tough, I"m betting that many of us will be let down by the first generation of games from the 360 and PS3. To me Cell just seems overly complicated with it's parralelism(sp?) I think overall taking the OOO handling out of these new systems was a major mistake. Either way I'm buying both I was just REALLY hoping Sony was going to go a different route with their system this time around I'm not all that bright I do work in the IT industry and very close with development(mostly java and C\J sharp) bu the cell just seem somewhat ill suited for video games, I feel the same way about how Microshsft went but their solution is a little less complcated with somewhat more flexibuility(also less power)

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s this technology that was really exciting that I’d like to see us get into production, which is a different approach to rendering complexity: Moving things into and out of an image domain and then seamlessly interpolating between those motions as you move around. So that everything close to you is physical and geometry, and everything really far away from you is an image, but you have no way of telling that if you do it properly and things can fly out and come back -- so as far as you’re concerned it all feels like the world to you, but as far as your rendering is concerned, you’re keeping your polygon budgets and your shader budgets and your fillrates under control.

Interesting. Is there another name for this technology? Does anyone have a link explaining how it actually works?

Is this being used in any games on the current generation of consoles?

c0_re said:
Either way I'm buying both I was just REALLY hoping Sony was going to go a different route with their system this time around I'm not all that bright I do work in the IT industry and very close with development(mostly java and C\J sharp) bu the cell just seem somewhat ill suited for video games, I feel the same way about how Microshsft went but their solution is a little less complcated with somewhat more flexibuility(also less power)
See, I'm glad the Cell was designed this way. MS took a straightforward approach (with all due respect) by throwing 3 cores at a traditionally 1 core problem. Sony took a different route with their single core + SP units. Having two similar yet different systems should be far more fascinating to examine down the road than previous generations, IMHO.

.Sis

Back