Unofficially RSX = G80

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was from a while back.

What is being said here (from what I understand) is that the RSX *was* indeed NV47 based. But NVIDIA has worked with Sony to create a *second* RSX based on the G80 architecture for the PS3.

This news is NOT saying the RSX *has been* a G80ish GPU. It's absolutely CERTAIN that the RSX has been N47 based. But this is saying that the final PS3 will have a G80 based RSX.

Basically, a second model of the RSX has been created according to this information.

Lets call it...

RSX Ver. 2.0!

May I direct everyone's attention to the Sony slide which notes RSX is "NV47" based with 24 Pixel Shaders...

It should also be of note that what the OP stated is potentially new information, in spite of what has been announced previously.

That was from a while back.

What is being said here (from what I understand) is that the RSX *was* indeed NV47 based. But NVIDIA has worked with Sony to create a *second* RSX based on the G80 architecture for the PS3.

This news is NOT saying the RSX *has been* a G80ish GPU. It's absolutely CERTAIN that the RSX has been N47 based. But this is saying that the final PS3 will have a G80 based RSX.

Basically, a second model of the RSX has been created according to this information.

Lets call it...

RSX Ver. 2.0!

I havent seen any news or information outside of forum hopefulls that cant let the subject drop. Are you getting your information from a more credible source? Somehow i dont think so. If its true, great, though i doubt it, but lets not forget facts. Facts are it was last stated officially to be NV47 based, 90nm, to have a 128bit bus, 8ROPs, and 24PS with 6VS, and to be 550MHz. There is absolutly nothing official beyond the facts, nothing. For a closed box system thats a little over one month away from launch i find it really hard to believe they magically swapped such a key component and not one rumor site, not even an asian one which are notorious for ousting new hardware, has mentioned it with a picture, be it fake or not.

The mainboard pincount would have to change, the power supply would problably require beefing up, and someone would be bragging right now or in the last few weeks that the GPU is "Next Gen" based. Nothing has happened that anybody with some credibility, not even theinq, has noticed.

Infact if it has changed, Sony has been so quiet about the RSX recently that its out of character, i would be more far more inclined to believe bad news then someone saying they retrofitted a high end GPU part into a closed box system within the last 30-60 days when its design plans were finalized for over a year.

Forgive me if i sound brash but the fact that this rumor keeps popping up over and over and over again is quite annoying. So much so that i wouldnt even care if it was true anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to indulge..

So, a G80 on a 128 bit bus? I think a NV47 on a 128 bit bus is pushing overkill as it is according to most.

Have you seen the leaked G80 pics? It's huge, unfinished looking, and sports water cooling. They gonna fit all that in PS3?

It also use 384 bit bus and 768MB memory..neither specs fit PS3.

Production: G80 isn't released yet. The earliest people expect it is in November. PS3 was supposed to go into production in late September. That means G80 would have had to already been in mass production.

Clock downgrade: The RSX was recently downgraded to 500 mhz. How does this fit with G80?

The games: All due respect, but they look a lot more like a 7900GTX than what I'd imagine a next gen GPU could do to me. Further they look somewhat on the level of 360 games, again suggesting a NV47 GPU or comparable to Xenos timeframe GPU.

Developers: We have plenty here and none have ever hinted such a thing (rather, they have in fact more confirmed an NV47).

I suppose all of your theory can only hinge on a super late, super secret switch, in this way the games wouldn't show the new power, the devs wouldn't know about it, etc etc. But this is pretty much a dream.

That said, Sony SHOULD have went with G80 if you're asking me. What good is a one year delay if it gains you nothing? G80 would have made the one year delay mean a lot.

OTOH that would have meant additional cost, of which Sony cannot afford any more withn Blu Ray already pushing it to $600. And frankly, they may be right. You dont need to be as powerful as you theoretically could be, you only need to be more powerful than your competitor, in this case Xbox360.

Rangers,

We are almost certainly not talking about a true G80 in the PS3. That's going to be pretty much impossible. If the G80 is really 700 million or more transistors we can be certain that it's NOT going in the PS3.

But what I feel is very possible and is suggested by the poster is that a GPU based on the G80 architecture has been developed for the PS3. I doubt that it will have as many pipelines or as many transistors. But I could certainly see the new technology being used to create a G80 based RSX with fewer pipelines and fewer transistors, but with a lot of the upgraded architectural features.

For example, they could switch over the pipelines in the RSX from being N47 based to G80 based and perhaps just add a few more. It would still be a big boost and upgrade from the original RSX, but would not be as gigantic of a monster as the G80.

Honestly, I was disapointed when I heard the full G80 PC part was coming out the same month as the PS3. That was a let down because if the PS3 had been released when it was originally supposed to it would have had a top of the line N47 based GPU. Now, if there is no upgrade, the RSX will be a 2005 GPU in basically a 2007 machine.

What cheers me up is that if this turns out to be true the RSX could still have a very high performing cutting edge GPU when it's launched.

Even a cut down modified G80 for the PS3 would be a very, very significant upgrade and something Sony could certainly do to create a ton of buzz about the PS3.

It would certain doom their console competitors into oblivion. No pun intended.

Special G80 my buttocks. I have no information to clearly disprove this, but I still say this is complete bunk, and anyone believing it is a fool. It takes huge amounts of time to design and debug special chips, and very likely, G80 is not register compatible to the NV4x series. This would break software compatibility, so launch games would all be set back a lot of time.

Further, not even ONE credible rumor about this has appeared anywhere on the web about this, just people with a lot of "wishful thinking" (gently put).

Talking about the Wizard's first truth. It's also stupid to automatically say for certain that something is a lie when it could indeed be the truth. We honestly really don't know in this case. I'll admit that I hope this is indeed true, but I'm the first to admit I know it might not be. However, I think it makes sense and has a chance of being true.

Rangers,

We are almost certainly not talking about a true G80 in the PS3. That's going to be pretty much impossible. If the G80 is really 700 million or more transistors we can be certain that it's NOT going in the PS3.

But what I feel is very possible and is suggested by the poster is that a GPU based on the G80 architecture has been developed for the PS3. I doubt that it will have as many pipelines or as many transistors. But I could certainly see the new technology being used to create a G80 based RSX with fewer pipelines and fewer transistors, but with a lot of the upgraded architectural features.

For example, they could switch over the pipelines in the RSX from being N47 based to G80 based and perhaps just add a few more. It would still be a big boost and upgrade from the original RSX, but would not be as gigantic of a monster as the G80.

Honestly, I was disapointed when I heard the full G80 PC part was coming out the same month as the PS3. That was a let down because if the PS3 had been released when it was originally supposed to it would have had a top of the line N47 based GPU. Now, if there is no upgrade, the RSX will be a 2005 GPU in basically a 2007 machine.

What cheers me up is that if this turns out to be true the RSX could still have a very high performing cutting edge GPU when it's launched.

Even a cut down modified G80 for the PS3 would be a very, very significant upgrade and something Sony could certainly do to create a ton of buzz about the PS3.

It would certain doom their console competitors into oblivion. No pun intended.

No. No to all of it. So much over simplification my head hurts. Do you have sex with your console? Does the hardware make parts of your body more powerful or enhanced? Does it walk with you, talk to you, is it your life long best friend? CONSOLE HARDWARE IS COSMETIC, IT DOES NOT MATTER, FLOATING POINT NUMBERS, THE CODENAME OF A GPU, THESE THINGS DONT SPIT OUT GREAT GAMES, DEVELOPERS TALENT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!

You could not possably be any more disrespectful to devs when you insinuate that its the hardware that makes their games, their artwork, a loser or winner. Your last comment is absolutly stupid. I mean seriously, if someone launched a console twice as powerful as the PS3 with not one game ever produced for it, you'd problably glofiy the thing as the second coming of christ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about the Wizard's first truth. It's also stupid to automatically say for certain that something is a lie when it could indeed be the truth.
True, except in this case there is a lot more evidence supporting one argument while there are a whole slew of practical reasons against the other that make it sort of a huuuuge leap of faith.

We honestly really don't know in this case.
Again true, but we honestly know what an incredible longshot it is and how next to impossible it is that it could be true with all the available evidence at this point.

I'll admit that I hope this is indeed true, but I'm the first to admit I know it might not be. However, I think it makes sense and has a chance of being true.
First wizard's rule... ;)

I do apologize for laughing at you though, that was rude of me and I'm sorry. You seem sincere in your belief and it was cool of you to share it, that sort of thing shouldn't be discouraged.

But it still is a real longshot from a technical viewpoint, and I just don't see no way they would have been able to keep it under the radar for so long.

Keep dreaming though, and I'd rather be proved wrong on this one rather than right. :)

Stop being rude, hateful, and disrespectful to me. I have tried to be polite to everyone in this forum and I don't appreciate your sexual harassment. Please cease immediately.

The hardware is the final limit when it comes to how much potential a game can have. If you have a certain piece of hardware it has a certain ammount of performance it can produce. With more powerful hardware you can get much more potential EASILY right off the bat. However, where developers come in is pushing that hardware to the maximum. Hardware does nothing by itself and to be used at all it needs people working on it and telling it what to do. Developers are vitally important because they are the ones that work to push the most out of a piece of hardware.

But the final absolute potential of a game when it comes to the PERFORMANCE it can show is indeed due to it's HARDWARE. That is an absolute fact. But the developers are absolutely vitally important because without them the hardware would never be used at all and would never be pushed to anywhere near it's maximum!

I'm not talking the "fun" factor here, because people can have "fun" with Commadore 64 games. That's right. An individual could absolutely hate Metal Gear Solid 4 and love an Atari game such as Frogger. But when it comes to physics, animation, graphics, AI, particle effects, lighting, and all sorts of other things the absolute final limit is based on the hardware.

Now, I hope this information does turn out to be true so that we can have an even more powerful GPU in the PS3. It would be nice to have a cutting edge GPU in the PS3 instead of a 2005 GPU.

Stop being rude, hateful, and disrespectful to me. I have tried to be polite to everyone in this forum and I don't appreciate your sexual harassment. Please cease immediately.

The hardware is the final limit when it comes to how much potential a game can have. If you have a certain piece of hardware it has a certain ammount of performance it can produce. With more powerful hardware you can get much more potential EASILY right off the bat. However, where developers come in is pushing that hardware to the maximum. Hardware does nothing by itself and to be used at all it needs people working on it and telling it what to do. Developers are vitally important because they are the ones that work to push the most out of a piece of hardware.

But the final absolute potential of a game when it comes to the PERFORMANCE it can show is indeed due to it's HARDWARE. That is an absolute fact. But the developers are absolutely vitally important because without them the hardware would never be used at all and would never be pushed to anywhere near it's maximum!

I'm not talking the "fun" factor here, because people can have "fun" with Commadore 64 games. That's right. An individual could absolutely hate Metal Gear Solid 4 and love an Atari game such as Frogger. But when it comes to physics, animation, graphics, AI, particle effects, lighting, and all sorts of other things the absolute final limit is based on the hardware.

Now, I hope this information does turn out to be true so that we can have an even more powerful GPU in the PS3. It would be nice to have a cutting edge GPU in the PS3 instead of a 2005 GPU.
You do realize that all these "developers" who are pushing "PERFORMANCE" would have to have been in on this too, or do you think their games coded for the "old" RSX will work on the "new" RSX?

Digital Wanderer,

This is something that NVIDIA could be working with Sony on. NVIDIA would know how to make a G80ish GPU that would still at least be mostly compatible with code for a N47. For all we know, Sony could release the final DevKit with a FAQ or set of instructions on ways to adjust your code to work on the new RSX. This is something else we just don't know about right now.

What is the big deal if it's based on NV47 ?
It is still a powerfull base to work on for a closed system such as game consoles.
Perfectly comparable to ATI Xenos in overall performance.

We're talking OpenGL/PSGL for PS3.
Having Microsoft's DirectX 10/SM 4.0 in there wouldn't really matter, would it ?

I just can't understand this "i want to believe" standings...

I'm totally satisified with the the PS3 having a N47. The graphics of games for the PS3 already look great and I'm very excited about them. But the truth is that it's natural for someone to want something better if it becomes available!

I don't know if Nerve Damage's source is telling the truth or not. If his source is not telling the truth I'm going to certainly be happy with the PS3 and it's games. However, if his source is telling the truth and not playing some kind of hateful prank then I'll certainly appreciate the enhanced graphics the new RSX 2.0 will have to offer.

I'm happy either way! I'm just happier if his source turns out to be correct.

Digital Wanderer,

This is something that NVIDIA could be working with Sony on. NVIDIA would know how to make a G80ish GPU that would still at least be mostly compatible with code for a N47. For all we know, Sony could release the final DevKit with a FAQ or set of instructions on ways to adjust your code to work on the new RSX. This is something else we just don't know about right now.
When's launch again? This late in the game I just don't think there is the time to do it in.

Something would have leaked somewhere, and I'd of probably heard it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back