Unofficially RSX = G80

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by "Nerve-Damage", Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

I can unofficially confirm that the RSX will be based off NVIDIA’s upcoming G80 technology. The latest IP has been done for quite sometime (actually 3 months); NVIDIA will be announcing details soon. Anyhow, my source is very legit…works for NVIDIA!! You don’t have to believe me…but my source is a very honorable person. Maybe not to NDA agreements.... :oops:

2. Rangers

Legend

Dont think so.

3. JardeL

Regular

4. Gholbine

Regular

Sincerely doubt it.

5. patsu

Legend

Dear Nerve-Damage,

I am the honorable person who leaked that info to you. I told you not to say anything to anyone and look what you've done ?! You did not honor my requests and so with immediate effect, you are no longer my friend.

Your ex-Honorable Friend
    patsu

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Funniest post I've seen all day! :lol:

7. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

He has no reason to lie to me, hopefully will know within a week’s time.

Believe me; this is the wrong place for me to post some BS (If I didn’t trust him).

8. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

Well I posted it, regardless of possibly being made to look like an ass in the-end.

9. RavenFox

Newcomer

Damn guys give him a break its not like he's spamming or anything. Yeah its hard to beleive right now but we have have seen the visual jump and many 1080p game announcements. Im not saying you need a G80 type part for it but I say lets wait and see before sending him to the firing squad.

10. PeterT

Regular

Dr Evil likes this.
  11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I wonder how you will react towards your friend if its proved a lie :lol:

Anyways. It would be great if true. But I dont think so.

12. dubyateeeff

Newcomer

Everyone looks like an ass in the end :lol:

13. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

Will still be friends regardless…..

Bad prank or no-prank…friends can be asses sometimes. I’m just not stuck on or big on holding grudges against anyone.

14. SugarCoat

Veteran

its too late!

[​IMG]

15. babcat

Regular

Lets look at it this way.

Originally the RSX would have been a top of the line GPU if Sony had launched when they had originally planned. However, now the RSX will be coming out the same month as the G80 PC Part is supposed to start being rolled out. The G80 will put the RSX to shame and I would not say it's impossible that Sony would not try to upgrade the GPU of the PS3 at the last minute.

Perhaps a final devkit will be sent out or a replacement GPU to go into the current dev-kits at the last moment to allow developers to get their games running on the new GPU. They probably would not be able to do much if anything to increase the quality of their games, but the second round of games could tremendously benefit with a G80 like RSX.

I think this is certainly possible. I also believe that the RSX is currently a G70 based GPU like we have all been told, but Sony might throw in an upgrade at the last minute.

A G80 would allow the PS3 to have a cutting edge GPU to go along with the cutting edge CELL PROCESSOR when it launches.

16. babcat

Regular

Hmm.. This could be why Barbarian's numbers are wrong according to nAo and a few others such as Mr. Wibble.

They were correct for the old version of the RSX, but the final version based on the G80 will have a completely new set of numbers.

This is beginning to make sense now!

17. rounin

Veteran

Well before we bash this piece of news, how credible is the thread starter? Has he been a spammer or what? I have no idea but I see he has quite a few posts so someone with more time than I could look at his various posts I suppose.

18. babcat

Regular

He has been a contributer on PSINext for a long time and has done a lot to try and dig up information about the RSX. But I have learned myself that doing so takes a ton of work because of all the tight NDAs involved and the fact that Sony/Nvidia have been pretty much mum on the issue. I have communicated with him privately in the past and find him to be an honest person.

I think this information he heard from a friend could indeed make sense. But even if it is false the truth of the matter is he did his best to share information with us that he could have kept to himself. He didn't have to tell us anything, but I'm thankful he is reporting on what he heard.

19. zed

zed
    Veteran

surely they would of anounced this at tokyo
    ild also prefer to see extra memory than a g80 (though the g80 would of course be great news)

20. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

May I direct everyone's attention to the Sony slide which notes RSX is "NV47" based with 24 Pixel Shaders...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.