Full transcript of Gabe Newell's 1up videos.

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by aaaaa00, Sep 4, 2005.

1. aaaaa00

Regular

Given the discussion here, I thought it would be nice to have a full transcript from the 1up Gabe Newell interview videos for reference, and for those without broadband.

Since 1up hasn't posted their own transcript, I typed this one up from the videos.

Again, advance apologies for any mistakes or typos, of which I’m sure there are plenty.

http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video5.html

http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video6.html

#1 aaaaa00, Sep 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
    Shifty Geezer likes this.
  2. NocturnDragon

Regular

Isn't this something like what Microsoft Talisman was supposed to do in hardware?

3. mesyn191

Newcomer

Thanks for transcribing that, lots good stuff to think about there.

His comments about PS3 game development sucking up development for all the other platforms makes me go hmmmmm...

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Makes me go 'ha ha ha' :wink: . PS2 didn't suck up the software industry, nor stopped cross platform development this gen despite being alien in design. The prevalence of middleware next-gen will maje cross platform even easier.

5. PeterT

Regular

Agreed. Gabe seems just a little bitter because Source probably won't be that middleware. ;)

6. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

And AFAIK Tresspasser did it in software...

7. pegisys

Regular

I don't thinks it's that, we all ready know how slow valve works, if it takes 7years for a pc game imagine how long a ps3 game will take, and they could prbably could get something running on the ps3 with little effort but he probably wants something that is going to take advantage of the hardware, and not to port an exsiting engine

8. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

aaaah, thanks for this, again. I can't give you any more rep until I "spread it around" as the error message says, but thanks for your hard work anyway.

9. Ragemare

Regular

Not if gameplay coders can bring the whole thing crashing to a halt on one system, but it works fine on another.

10. darkblu

Veteran

gameprogrammers, if they want to, can bring any system to its knees, regardless how carefully the system-level code has been written. what gabe is whining about is that his game programmers have now to learn new do's and dont's for the ps3 that they didn't have to before. man, that fact that the universe was not custom-made for his game studio must really suck.

11. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

The more I hear from Gabe the more trouble I have respecting him (and his team, apparently) as a talent in the industry.

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

That'd be one mighty crap coder team who ought to get sacked ;) Seriously there's nothing bad about Cell that devs haven't had to overcome with PS2 save for the multithreading. You have low-level coders for the engine, and high-level coders to use their functions to piece together the game. Any system that allows one coder to mangle the software by a factor of 80 and NOT BE ABLE TO FIX IT (after all if this happens you reengineer the code so it works...) is a poorly run development system.

Gabe's actual example 'you've run out of register space here' can happen on any processor. The only validity I can find in his complaint is IF the software tools are that poor you (or rather, the low level programmers writing the engine) can't trace problems. That's not a system architecture problem but an SDK problem and if that exists, God forbid, it can be remedied over time with improved SDKs. there's nothing inherently dangerous about the Cell system. In fact it's perhaps safer than most systems as all those SPU's are working their own local space with less chance for memory conflicts. I certainly can't see it being any worse. The other concern is the need for smart and talented low-level coders to make the most of the hardware, though there is the option of middleware to ease the burden.

#12 Shifty Geezer, Sep 4, 2005
  13. onetimeposter

Banned

yes exept Cell's advantage is multimedia and imaging and its weakness from everywhere I have heard is purpose programming. Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)

14. Titanio

Legend

These are two areas of strength, not the only ones.

I'm going to guess that means "general purpose" programming.

What does that mean?

How relevant is that? (Some devs have answered this question already, implicitly and explicitly)

None of the console chips (well PS3 or X360) are as "general purpose" as they could have been.

This term gets thrown out far too often without consideration for what it actually means.

15. oli2

Newcomer

I have to say that JC and Gabe are treated here as Cassandras.

I have read twice the transcripts and i don't think they are bashing.

They simply say what 's obvious : Xbox360 and PS3 will be pains to program.

Endless debates on examples or single words taken out of context mean nothing.

What is worse is those non programmers judging their pathes or what they have done for the industry, and what they eventuallywill bring now.

Even if i respect people like DeanoC or faf or ERP, and take what say like it deserves (even if i don't understand everything ...), their history and skillfull cannot be put in relation of that of these guys.

I don't see why Epic PR should more trusted than JC or Gabe. Can you say me why ?

16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

This debate is old hat. Do a search of the forum to see different takes on Cell's capabilities. Gabe wasn't talking about Cell being rubbish at GP in this instance but being too complex to write for - a very different concern and one I don't see as any more valid as PS2 is too complex to write for. And with PS2 we had the world's lousiest software development tools, something the PS3 can't be any worse at!

17. scificube

Regular

Actually Sony's dev environment seems much improved if for no other reason SN systems should deliver a good compiler as compared to the admitted "rubbish" on used with the PS2. Sony has gone as far to admit publicly that they put PS2 devs through hell (after devs asked to code to the metal at the end of the PS1's life I hear) and that they are working hard for that not to be the case with the PS3...devs have enough to worry about already. They seem serious and it'll be interesting to see if they can put together an environment that compares to MS's in quality.

#17 scificube, Sep 4, 2005
  18. c0_re

Banned

"Thats 2 main(albiet PC) developers , infact 2 of the most legendary american game programmers to say PS3 development is too tough for efficient programming (Gabe and Carmack)"

Yea everyone here is right, they must be crap developlers,

Gimme a break people anyone that thinks Sony,IBM and Toshiba are going to be able to come up with development tools overnight to make writing code to take advantag of cell easy think again. Microsoft is the king of software as we know it and they can't even come up with tools to make writing OOO multi threaded apps perform well.

There is no silver bullet and Cell is extremely complicated, I don't trust Japanese developers comments on cell since they are all wrapped around Sony's finger. American Dev's are the only one's that can say whatever they want and not have to worry about retribution.

19. Titanio

Legend

Whilst I don't disagree with your comments about the lack of silver bullet, I think there are exceptionally few developers, japanese, european, american, whatever, who are in a position to make potentially "controversial" points on the record without facing repurcussions.

20. scificube

Regular

I do not claim that silver bullets exist. I only spoke to that fact that Sony is making an effort to make things easier, better and more efficient...especially in comparison to what devs had to go through with the PS2. Devs still will have many challgenges to face. Some devs accept this and are still excited...others do not and/or are not.