More RSX tidbits:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in this (somewhat exaggerated) demo they say Mach banding is reduced by it.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0714/hdmi.htm
A rather dubious example, considering the image without the banding is displaying just fine on a 24 bit display! As I understand it, the banding comes from processing the image. Consdering there's banding present in the compressed signals these displays are being fed though, I'm really skeptical 'deep colour' can have any benefit. Converting a 24 bit image to floating values, prociessing that, and then converting back to 24 bit colour space, should elliminate the artefacts of post processes.

Does anyone use 128bit HDR? I thought even photorealistic CGI used 64 bit. I can't think of any application at all that would benefit.

Some renderers do use 128 bit per color, but I'm not exactly sure which ones. AFAIK Lightwave is one of them, but it gets pushed out from the industry because its development has slowed down in the past years. It's still the choice for TV effects like Battlestar Galactica though, because it's cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume modern video codecs used on hddvd/bluray movies will actually be able to store higher colour depth? Correct?

I assume modern video codecs used on hddvd/bluray movies will actually be able to store higher colour depth? Correct?

Nope. HD DVD and BD only spec 8-bits per component per pixel for all advanced codecs (both VC1 and H.264). It's highly unlikely that the specs will change at this point to include higher bit depth.

Not really, you can convert any of the new formats into 24/96 PC and send it over HDMI 1.1 as well. 1.3 is required to send the new audio in their native formats.

Exaclty, if you want a external decoder/reciever you need 1.3 in both ends.

Nope. HD DVD and BD only spec 8-bits per component per pixel for all advanced codecs (both VC1 and H.264). It's highly unlikely that the specs will change at this point to include higher bit depth.

Are you sure about this, i actually think that the Amir dude on avsforum said something else...

Purchase choice of PS3

We'll soon know what RSX is really made of. If the RSX is closer to a G80 design, how much will this upgrade effect the public view of PS3's purchase price?

The general public will think it's crazy that it will have an intricate piping system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back