The PSVR launch thread

I ues the wet lens wipe the finish with a dry lens cloth

Would really like to know if a screen protector type thing is usable tho

I bought what is probably the best ever party game for PSVR: "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes".

It gets mighty hard real fast (especially if the people giving instructions don't have a way to annotate stuff), but it's REALLY fun and addictive too.

Yeah it is a very fun premise. Playroom also is a lot of fun for party games though for sure.

I ues the wet lens wipe the finish with a dry lens cloth

Would really like to know if a screen protector type thing is usable tho
Any kind of protector would have to be anti-reflective to keep the same quality and avoid ghosting. This is not really possible here.

I was smearing the lenses while fitting the headset almost every time, so now I follow these rules and they seem to stay clean:
- Slide it out completely before putting it on, or when taking it off. I wear prescription glasses and there's enough clearance once set up, but my glasses were sometimes touching the lenses when removing it. Best to pull it forward as far as possible before pulling it up.
- Never slide it too close. Sounds obvious, but I had to make the mistake many times before the correct distance became intuitive. Very dependent on the shape of your face and the angle of the headband.
- I put the headset in the case when I'm finished, but that might be overkill.

Last edited:
So, first night thoughts.

I played pretty much every demo available. I think the ones with more lateral movement made me a bit queasy - Battle Zone for example, which is a shame as it's quite fun.

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this but the little platforming minigame on the free Playroom set was by far the prettiest and also what I'd say is the most suited type of game to VR. Simply incredible presence, and perhaps I loved it because it was a standard gimmicky VR game. I look forward to the first real platformer on PSVR - I kept thinking, imagine Rathet & Clank like this!!!

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this but the little platforming minigame on the free Playroom set was by far the prettiest and also what I'd say is the most suited type of game to VR.
Lots of people share this opinion. Me included.

Lots of people share this opinion. Me included.

It is really pretty indeed. Playroom VR is one hell of a looker in general. The toyroom in particular is just an amazing sight once you've filled it up some. That said, the little jumping passage is actually one of the few VR experiences (Here They Lie would be another) that makes me feel rather uncomfortable. And I played just about everything else now, including a couple hours of Rigs and a good chunk of that mech game on the VR Worlds disc, without any problems.

I'm incredibly happy with the device. Haven't had this much fun with gaming in ages. Good job, Sony.

Also, seems like Amazon.fr has some kind of special deal with Sony. They have yet to not have the device in stock.

Well it says that, but when I ordered it it told me that the estimated dispatch date was 14 Nov, then a few days ago they sent me an email saying that they'd be able to send it much sooner, and I got it yesterday. Not sure what happened there.

This has been mentioned on GAF and I feel the same, but after playing PSVR I'm finding it hard to play standard games because they just seem so 'lacking'! The PSVR has really opened my eyes to what I hope is the future of gaming.

As for the games, the danger ball one is much better than expected...in fact what I find is that watching youtubes and review now no longer helps with games. Hell, I was watching my daughter playing Job Sim and was not feeling it, but once playing it felt so great to play.

Also loving DriveClub, so pleased I don't suffer from sickness! Just hope that I can handle battlezone and rigs with a bit more usage. Also, a worthy note to the point and click adventure (wayward sky?)- it's just so great to see this world in front of you.

My only complaint, too many games to buy!!

Ugh I'm the unlucky few that keeps seeing the annoying visual quality from games and the screen itself.

Luckily my eyes are minus 2 and minus 3. So I simply play Psvr without glasses and it looks awesome!

No more distraction from shitty texture, weird moire artefacts, and diamond patterned screen door.

The lack of true black still annoys me when I playing games with dark scenes tho (the black is Grey in Psvr).

The weird thing is, Psvr actually can display true black.

Usually for split seconds on game boot or on intro scenes where they shows various company logo, they forgot to set the black to Grey. So it does shows as true black.

The low res look of everything does take some getting used to, but I found that it only really bugs me on games where there's really nothing better to do than check the quality of the screen. Meaning, the ones that are really good keep you interested enough that you forget about the screen.

Or maybe I had different expectations. It is never going to be super sharp until we get 4K and higher VR sets and rendering. And I think 8K (or close) will only ever matter on VR as it's the only thing that will be that close to our eyes.

The low res look of everything does take some getting used to, but I found that it only really bugs me on games where there's really nothing better to do than check the quality of the screen. Meaning, the ones that are really good keep you interested enough that you forget about the screen.

Or maybe I had different expectations. It is never going to be super sharp until we get 4K and higher VR sets and rendering. And I think 8K (or close) will only ever matter on VR as it's the only thing that will be that close to our eyes.
We are going to need much better GPU ^^

Not everything looks lowers tho. Tumble and Rez looks high Rez enough.

Worse offender of low resolution games are drive club and summer lesson.

Not if we get foveated rendering working. Latency for that might make it perpetually imperfect.

Several PSVR titles actually do this already. The Bound developer mentions they do it, and that he was the first one outside first party titles like Playroom (which I hear also runs most stuff at full 120fps).

@Londonboy: Bound is a game you have to try.

Not with pupil tracking. That's what's needed to allow players to look around naturally. Latency may not be too much a problem as there's a focussing delay in the eye after a saccade that may well be enough for the GPU to adapt.

Back