The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A GT5 technical and a gameplay thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

As long as you didn't think photo and replay mode were going to be actual game play, you shouldn't be disappointed with the visuals. It's still the standard for visuals in a racing game.

My biggest concerns are:
1. Framerate. Prolouge was not acceptable to me. I want to see how GT5 performs with 16 premium cars on track, running in close quarters on a busy map (like Monaco or london).
2. Grinding. Forza 3 was amazingly bad at rewarding you for playing! The credits you acquired vs the costs of the high end cars was terrible.
3. Online. Not much to say here except don't do a Turn10.

Did you play GT1 2 3 or 4? unless something drastic changed since those then getting cars can be done in several ways, including grinding if you really "want to". Sadly i have no idea of how it worked in FM3 and it´s out of the scope of this thread anyway since it´s GT5.

Same goes for FM3 online, but in regards to GT5 Prologue, i found it piss poor. But the announced track days sounds pretty incredible and more than i would have hoped for.

In the prior GT games, I played the seasons for a bit and then used a save game from someone that had everything unlocked. In GT5, you can't transfer the save games thus my concerns about grinding, esp for things like the F1 cars.

I just hope that custom liveries are in...would be so awesome (though something tells me that's not the case :|)

They're not in. As of right now the biggest customizations you can do are aero kits for Premium Cars, wheels, and I believe change the colors of cars.

They're not in. As of right now the biggest customizations you can do are aero kits for Premium Cars, wheels, and I believe change the colors of cars.

Guess this was a lie then :(

gt5%2Bonline.jpg

In the prior GT games, I played the seasons for a bit and then used a save game from someone that had everything unlocked. In GT5, you can't transfer the save games thus my concerns about grinding, esp for things like the F1 cars.

I used the cars i "won" to get into the harder stuff and win other and more expensive cars. I never got everything, but in GT3 i did have at least one formula one car, a GT-ONE and the Mazda 787B.

My only wish would be if they made it a bit easier to know what to complete in order to get a certain car.

I did cheat though, with the signature edition i will get some of my most wanted cars to begin with.

I'm pretty sure at some point you'll be able to buy cars for GT5 from PSN, if you can't collect enough game credits, just buy yourself a car for a dollar or two.

Look at the red and white rumble strip reflection at the base and back of the car. The back corner has the stripes seemingly orientated 90 degrees to that they should be.

Looks better than the in-game shot. The building reflection seems convincing. There are no close objects to gauge. Of course, if you can only pose your car in one spot, you can use a prerendered reflection map from that point. I don't think they'll have created a raytraced reflection for us yet.

Well at least they are good fakes because I still can't tell, the only time the illusion is broken for me is when other vehicles aren't reflecting but even that is hard to see when things are moving so fast.

Well at least they are good fakes because I still can't tell, the only time the illusion is broken for me is when other vehicles aren't reflecting but even that is hard to see when things are moving so fast.

Cubemaps aren't exactly reflection , so it's implicitly (?) fake.I cant' see a game engine using real reflections yet and soon.except for a flat mirror here and here...

Were you driving at 150+ mph with a supercar ahead of you?

Heh, it was a severe rain storm. I was sandwiched between trucks (18 wheelers) on 3 sides. They were splashing water everywhere, but also close (and fast) enough that I couldn't pass them safely. Was driving a Toyota Supra (rear-wheel drive drove more like a speedboat in that situation). I couldn't filter to the shoulder abruptly or I would spin out of control (Tried it before). T_T

I thought they were all rushing eagerly to Hell, taking me with them. There were blurry lights outside but I couldn't make out whether they were taillights, highway patrols, or lamp posts, or UFOs. ^_^ I guess truck drivers have better visibility because of elevated driving position.

Now you see why I'm not a racing fan.

On topic. I think if GT5 online shines, the complains will fade away. Hopefully PD is prepared for a few quick tuning and firefighting.

Funny isn't it that I feel the same way about most America cars. It doesn't help that most American car designers feel that a car should look the way a 5-year old would draw one, but handling-wise there seems to be a sense of denial that anyone would ever want to drive around a corner at speed. ;)

Exactly, people have different opinions, that's why I was hoping for a more uniform distribution of cars instead of it being heavily Japanese centric. So guys like me who would take a 54 Ford F-100 over a Nissan Gt-R (which to me just looks ghastly from the front) could be appeased. Although I do love the late 90's Nissan Skyline. Who knows, maybe they will add a down-loadable car pack with nice cars from USA and Europe eventually instead of perpetually rewarding the player with 1.x liter Japanese sport hatchbacks which I abhor.

Noticed this on GAF, looks pretty sweet:

Melfice7 said:

Have to agree with him, it looks great. The course creator is a pretty big addition, basically corresponding to 7 additional tracks with a *lot* of variations each. It's very nice that you can basically tailor them to the cars you'll drive on them too, like a short, narrow, twisty track for karts or Fiat 500s and Copens, or big, wide, Le Mans type affairs for ... Le Mans type cars. :D

The S2000 is one of my favorite cars, and one of the most balanced cars of all time. The GT version that is also in Prologue is a beast, and has some of the best sound in the game. I love almost all type of cars, but for racing, I do prefer my cars stiff and not too heavy (most of the time).

Haven't you tried the demo ? ^_^

It's a very pretty game. Isolated flaws like the pixelated wiper(s) can be dealt with later. I only hope that I can somehow try the rainy track without levelling up too much. Want to revisit my own nightmare with a trusty Supra. :LOL:

Just over an hour of actual hands on footage here. http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_gran_turismo_520101122

Can't help but feel incredibly underwhelmed by that video. Things like when the guy is driving the go karts and says "there's no pop-up" and you can see things popping up in the background.

You can still use other cars as brakes, which is disappointing. Offline is where I would be playing it, so the AI had to be spot on, and it looks like it hasn't improved at all from GT5P. The cars just don't seem attached to the track at slow speeds either, there's some weird PGR style sliding going on.

800 cars with no cockpit view is a downer for wheel users, along with no damage and no option to use non-premium cars in photo-mode either.

and those load times... even with the 6.something GB install. :oops:

Just over an hour of actual hands on footage here. http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_gran_turismo_520101122

Can't help but feel incredibly underwhelmed by that video. Things like when the guy is driving the go karts and says "there's no pop-up" and you can see things popping up in the background.

It sounds like PD over-extended themselves with too many race modes (like Insomniac with R2). The reviewers basically implied that Karting and Race Truck modes look unpolished.

You can still use other cars as brakes, which is disappointing. Offline is where I would be playing it, so the AI had to be spot on, and it looks like it hasn't improved at all from GT5P. The cars just don't seem attached to the track at slow speeds either, there's some weird PGR style sliding going on.

The GameSpot staff mentioned that the AI has improved, but not to the level of what Codemaster did with their games. It's the main reason they feel that GT5 Online is important because it'd give the players a different/new experience in GT franchise. I have similar intuition but it depends on how well PD's online team executes here.

800 cars with no cockpit view is a downer for wheel users, along with no damage and no option to use non-premium cars in photo-mode either.

and those load times... even with the 6.something GB install. :oops:

Yea, apparently the AI hasn't changed much since Prologue:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277025

And what are all the complaints about damage about? I thought Premium cars had full damage modelling (both cosmetic and mechanical) and standard cars had limited cosmetic (ie. scratches, damaged bumpers) and full mechanical damage.

That not the case?

With the standard cars are they models from GT4? Or are they new models that simply have less time spent on them than the Premium models?

And are all race starts rolling? (to accomodate the 16 cars) or can you have standing start races as well?

Hmm... if the reviewers are seeing different things, perhaps they are toying with different levels/modes ? I remember an earlier demo showed an AI car avoiding the player at the last moment. The GameSpot reviewers mentioned that they haven't tried everything yet (after hours of playing).

EDIT: Standard cars should be GT4 models. New models should be premium ones.

Hmm... if the reviewers are seeing different things, perhaps they are toying with different levels/modes ? I remember an earlier demo showed an AI car avoiding the player at the last moment. The GameSpot reviewers mentioned that they haven't tried everything yet (after hours of playing).

EDIT: Standard cars should be GT4 models. New models should be premium ones.

If reviewers are tasked with reviewing a game that takes more than 12 hours to get through (hey fps) we shouldn´t be suprised that they will be wrong, aparently there is a "level" system in the game and for example damage unlocks at a certain lvl.

Now if i get my game and easily find this information, i will not hold back from calling those review sites amateurs, it took me all but a few minutes to get that info. And i would guess it´s the same for the AI and other stuff. It makes the game easy to play and hard to master.

This is a good place to start for those that haven´t gotten the game yet:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156

If reviewers are tasked with reviewing a game that takes more than 12 hours to get through (hey fps) we shouldn´t be suprised that they will be wrong, aparently there is a "level" system in the game and for example damage unlocks at a certain lvl.

Now if i get my game and easily find this information, i will not hold back from calling those review sites amateurs, it took me all but a few minutes to get that info. And i would guess it´s the same for the AI and other stuff. It makes the game easy to play and hard to master.

This is a good place to start for those that haven´t gotten the game yet:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156

From twitter:

@Kaz_Yamauchi
山内 一典
It will appear later. RT @tanzen: @Kaz_Yamauchi Konbawa Yamauchi San! I'm lv 17 on GT 5 (review copy) and still no mechanical damage, you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back