The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example the Subaru Impreza, whenever I win that car in any car game I immediately sell it, just no interest in them.

Funny isn't it that I feel the same way about most America cars. It doesn't help that most American car designers feel that a car should look the way a 5-year old would draw one, but handling-wise there seems to be a sense of denial that anyone would ever want to drive around a corner at speed. ;)

topgeartesttrack3.jpg
Faked reflections is a bit of a shame. I should check out the world-tour type photomode screenies to see if the posing engine adds proper reflections or not.

hm, but couldn't they use at least the tech in KZ2, where they used QAA for the low res buffer to smooth out the brutal edges? Or would it make sense to even use MLAA for the low res buffer to get better wiper? Or a combination of both (I guess QAA blur would not hurt with those rain effects, but rather help to smooth/blur the overall image!)
The blocks are so big that's going to help much. A gaussian blur would smooth the edges, but it'd look unreslistic - you'd have a dark halo around the wipers. They need to find a way to draw the particles behind the wipers and then overlay. If the car interior was rendered in a seperate pass, you could composite over the top. Failing that, just render the wipers indepedently and overlay. Alternatively you could try like SW:FU II's 60 FPS upscale derived object removal to remove the wipers and fill back the spray, and then overlay the wipers. It'd still ahve artefacts but it wouldn't look anything like as jarring. To put this in perspective, these chunky pixels are being rendered at half SD resolution, equivalent to the Amiga's low res mode.

Faked reflections is a bit of a shame. I should check out the world-tour type photomode screenies to see if the posing engine adds proper reflections or not.

How are these?:

kyotogionr.jpg

5z0Ex.jpg

They look quite phenomenal but I don't think the reflections are quite accurate.

I can't see it:?:
Look at the red and white rumble strip reflection at the base and back of the car. The back corner has the stripes seemingly orientated 90 degrees to that they should be.

How are these?:

They look quite phenomenal but I don't think the reflections are quite accurate.
Looks better than the in-game shot. The building reflection seems convincing. There are no close objects to gauge. Of course, if you can only pose your car in one spot, you can use a prerendered reflection map from that point. I don't think they'll have created a raytraced reflection for us yet.

Looks better than the in-game shot. The building reflection seems convincing. There are no close objects to gauge. Of course, if you can only pose your car in one spot, you can use a prerendered reflection map from that point. I don't think they'll have created a raytraced reflection for us yet.

You can move and rotate your car, and do all sorts of stuff with your camera's POV as well.

Come on that got to be photoshopped
Why? In a non-realtime environment this boxes can achieve superb IQ.

You can move and rotate your car, and do all sorts of stuff with your camera's POV as well.
But how much can you change placement within a scene? Is it possible to move the car right next to one of those tables and get an underside view of the parasol? Or are those 2D photo backdrops and the car is positioned where it is centre-stage, right in the middle of an HDR spherical environment map for reflections?

Why? In a non-realtime environment this boxes can achieve superb IQ.

But how much can you change placement within a scene? Is it possible to move the car right next to one of those tables and get an underside view of the parasol? Or are those 2D photo backdrops and the car is positioned where it is centre-stage, right in the middle of an HDR spherical environment map for reflections?

No I think you're probably right. And if I remember correctly those parasols are pictures, so probably not too close to them. ;)

I found this video, giving you an impression of the options in photo-mode:

EDIT: and in the normal Photo Mode from Replays, you can literally walk around the Nurburgring 'on foot'.

Just saw the pixelated wiper + rain effect. Ugly indeed ! Skimmed through the official forum and GTPlanet forum to see what others say. It looks like people haven't focused on it yet (Still lamenting about standard vs premium cars, damage model, camera view).

Wonder if PD will do something to tone down the effect after launch. Kaz was concerned with dropped frame + rain effect for the delay. This must be one of the items on their hit list. It's too obvious to miss.

Also curious how many cars the game supports for a rainy track.

EDIT: I drove in a near-zero visibility rain storm before. You don't see the spray from other vehicles that clearly. The entire windscreen is like a water fall. Or rather it's like buckets of water poured over your windscreen. No matter how hard the wipers work, it looked like the car was under water. ^_^

So if they want to, they can tone down the spray, but work on the water effects on the screen.
Were you driving at 150+ mph with a supercar ahead of you?

Were you driving at 150+ mph with a supercar ahead of you?

Heh, you dont need to if the water is around 20 cm's high. You could be going 50km the car in front of you will be pouring buckets of water on you. But it rarely happens in simply rainy highways that havent accumulated water

Regarding some of the "jaggies" in the pictures or bad effects that people have pointed out. I have read that GT5 is using temporal AA (I.E. tunrs on and off dependant on onscreen graphics load).

Would this account for some of the discprencys that are shown on some of the screen captures. Maybe this might be why the windscreenwiper is so bad that at that moment in time no AA was present?

Is it possible that we not talk about really trival things for once in a video game thread? I mean, isn't there a tech forum for this kind of dribble? I'm just tired of constantly reading posts from folks who seemingly have zero interest in this game outside of picking apart little visual inconsistencies here and there. If the only interest you have in this game is it's engine / graphics, is it possible to just separate all of that garbage and place it somewhere else, maybe in another thread?

Please at least do us the favor of keeping this stuff out of the OT. It's irritating, to say the last, to have to skim through dozens of posts to find something pertaining to the game that's actually interesting...

Is it possible that we not talk about really trival things for once in a video game thread? I mean, isn't there a tech forum for this kind of dribble? I'm just tired of constantly reading posts from folks who seemingly have zero interest in this game outside of picking apart little visual inconsistencies here and there. If the only interest you have in this game is it's engine / graphics, is it possible to just separate all of that garbage and place it somewhere else, maybe in another thread?

Please at least do us the favor of keeping this stuff out of the OT. It's irritating, to say the last, to have to skim through dozens of posts to find something pertaining to the game that's actually interesting...

I refrained from commenting on those posts in the hope that the mods would be swift to sort them out, even if only subtle hints were raised they should still be instantly killed.

However, nothing could be more clear and certain that this thread delivers when it comes to proving that GT5 has once again set the bar incredible high, and leaves every kind of competition in the dust, even if that dust isn´t rendered at full res. The amount of content that has been crammed into GT5 is so overwhelming that i find it hard to understand that it´s "just a game". Where to begin and where to end when i get this game will be a challenge in itself.

One of the most impressive things to me is the crashes and physics, and i am not talking about the "lets see what happens if i take the real driving simulator and drives head on into a wall at 200mph kiddie stuff", but the nascar crashes where the physics get a free hand and everything looks like chaos, until the spins slow down and the game takes over again. The burnouts on the test tracks, the Porsche Curves by night (i love them as a spectator, will i shit my pants when i do them in my MAZDA 787B! :))

Imho GT5 is THE game of this console generation, and it better freaking be with the amount of time and money that was thrown at it :)

A GT5 technical and a gameplay thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

As long as you didn't think photo and replay mode were going to be actual game play, you shouldn't be disappointed with the visuals. It's still the standard for visuals in a racing game.

My biggest concerns are:
1. Framerate. Prolouge was not acceptable to me. I want to see how GT5 performs with 16 premium cars on track, running in close quarters on a busy map (like Monaco or london).
2. Grinding. Forza 3 was amazingly bad at rewarding you for playing! The credits you acquired vs the costs of the high end cars was terrible.
3. Online. Not much to say here except don't do a Turn10.

I just hope that custom liveries are in...would be so awesome (though something tells me that's not the case :|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back