The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people mentioning frame rate problems are driving in cockpit view. In the default view it's been silky smooth for me regardless of the traffic.

I dont know how to use the proffesional mode. I changed everything in the options menu. Traction and assistant were switched off and I changed something that was written in japanese into a different option. I dont know what that is but I hope it is the proffesional mode

When you choose race in the main menu, and the race setup screen pops up, the second option just under the transmission selection is simulation and it let's you to choose between standard and professional. Out of these two choices the bottom one is the professional mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people mentioning frame rate problems are driving in cockpit view. In the default view it's been silky smooth for me regardless of the traffic.
I wouldn't say it was a problem.

It's noticablly slower yes, but it seems pretty solid, like they've locked it at a lower FPS.

It is just a demo though. I rememer GT4 Prologue having it's share of problems too.

I normally don`t like cockpit views because most of the time it doesn`t feel right or I get confused with the wheel-turning animations, but I must say they did a good job there and it feels good.
I also noticed some shadow aliasing and flickering in the self shadows. I think they will improve the graphics , a few month ago the rear mirrors were much worse.
I`m really fascinated about how they render the Evo`s rear lights, the way they react to the lighting.

Some additional comments that I forgot yesterday:

- the car sounds aren't hot, mostly, though the Ferrari is a pleasant exception, as it does sound like a Ferrari (there's one parked next to my house so I can tell ;) ). As mentioned, wheel sounds could be better too, but the timing is right, at least (so you can tell when you lose grip immediately)
- Friend just informed me that the G25 is supported so you can actually use the full |H gearbox. Very cool.

My thoughts on the game.

- Pop-down in rear view mirrors. Stupidly bad wing mirror reflections. I expect this will change. In fact, I know it will.
- Track doesn't have wow factor like GTHD, but it's not meant to.
- Crowds look bad. Admittedly just as good as every other driving game...but GTHD set a standard. The crowds are 2d (which is fine) but wearing bright multicoloured colours with a synchronized clapping animation which makes them flash strangely.
- Dust clouds could be better...though I expect this is one of the last things to go in.

+ Models look great
+ Interiors unbelievable
+ I like the shadows in interiors.

When you choose race in the main menu, and the race setup screen pops up, the second option just under the transmission selection is simulation and it let's you to choose between standard and professional. Out of these two choices the bottom one is the professional mode.

Ok thanks. :)

I made the right selection then

I had one in the GTR car (the one with no interior view).

I made a mistake and had my nose against the traffic. A car hit with a pure frontal hit and i guess something went wrong.

From there the frame rate was bad and stutter like, it shall be mentioned that a lot of cars were suddenly crammed together in a closed packed group.

You could be right, I've just played the game again, and the game looks and plays silky smooth in all the other views. Also, it looks better in the other views as it seems that the game tries to give some HDR contrasts from the darker interior to the bright outdoors, which in the already high-contrast surroundings, makes things a little less pleasing to look at (it's subtle, but I notice it anyway).

So I'm revising my opinion on the looks and framerate anyway - it looks (and plays) absolutely fantastic. An amazing job, with very, very good looking cars, amazing materials and awesome lighting, with great AA to boot on 720p. It seems that the in-car view is just slightly less well tuned, but with a little luck they'll get this right - it's certainly not as bad as in the PGR4 demo, where driving with the cockpit view really takes the shine off the game (imho).

I'm thoroughly impressed and I can only imagine how this looks on a 1080p TV (I'll give it a go on my 1650x1050 PC display some time, because if it scales from 1280x1080 to 1920x1080 anyway, it could end up looking amazing on this screen).

Now just some better sounds, the online stuff (laptimes leaderboards, 16 racing and tournaments, tuned and non-tuned races), and a tiny bit of customisation (maybe on the licence plates so you can identify the cars in an online race) and I'm 100% happy about the game. This is going to be really, really good. :cool: The only thing I can gripe a bit about is that the tracks could look better and that I would still prefer 60fps in Replays also. That said, the Replays have even more impressive HDR lighting than we've seen so far ... I took the silver Evo and when the sun reflects directly off it, that's just off the charts good looking HDR right there. Amazing.

Compared to the Evo, that new BMW is a pita to drive by the way, at least with all assists off, on S3 or worse tires - it breaks out very easily.

Oh and RobertR1, N-tires are street tires. So yes, they suck. ;) N1 are 'budget' tires, N2 are normal tires, and N3 are high-grade tires (but still street tires). S-tires, not surprisingly, are Sports tires of varying quality (3 being the best again), and R-tires are racing tires, from hard (1) to soft (3).

I have yet to try 'normal' mode, but I did drive with the controller and I'm getting good results with it (not my favorite way of playing, but I get by). I reconfigured it pretty much the 'x-box' way, with the L2 and R2 for brake and gas, and x and square for gear-up and gear-down.

I also think people are going to be very happy with the AI improvements.

Agree with deepbrown on the synchronised clapping, which ends up looking like weird shimmering.

I had the game on by itself for a while by the way, and saw Fuji Speedway coming by. You could control the replay, so that makes for three different tracks that are actually already physically present in this download, but just locked out. So I'm guessing that the final GT5 Prologue won't be too much bigger than this version.

I did notice a few minor framerate hickups when using behind the car view also, but they were quite rare. Screen tearing happens quite often though, and I noticed some shadow bugs during the replay.

The demo should have had more powerful racing cars, now you don't fully get the racing feeling with these cars. Also the track side is very barren, so the environments aren't that hot, maybe in the Prologue we will get a better picture on a city circuits?

I have to say that due to the lack of racing cars, I enjoy the GTHD demo a bit more, but I have to give credit to the car models in the prologue, they look outstanding.

New screenshots @ Watch Impress ;
gt5p22.jpg

gt5p09.jpg

[ http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20071019/gt5p.htm ] ...

It looks better than that on my (768p) tv ...

Anyway, there's one incredibly awesomely amazing little thing in this demo, and that is the car that is currently veiled (should be the new Subaru Impreza WRX). You can still select it, and then you get the car with the silk veil over it, and that is just incredible to watch! Someone with decent recording equipment should capture it, because the silk veil is animated and moves gently as if by a draft. Incredible! And it will only be there for the next few days, because once the car is revealed on the show, it'll be gone. Though I'm assuming and hoping they'll do this trick with all the cars in GT5 Prologue before you unlock them, because it is just AWESOME!

Sorry, my camera sucks, but this at least gives you an impression on how the cloth moves and how the lighting on the silk is just amazing:

P1010024s.JPG

P1010026s.JPG

Edit : Sorry Arwin but half a dozen blue blobs don't make for entertaining viewing! I kept a couple of pic's that show the silky folds. If it's as lifelike as you say, it'll be impressive viewing, but we really need videos. Or enough stills that we can make a flip book!

I like the original better, but then I would never want one for practical reasons. This model has been tailor made for the European market and is much more likely to sell any decent numbers than the old ones were (which were really selling only to a select group of car enthusiasts).

It does have the unfortunate side effect of looking like the 147, Focus, Leons and so on, but that's a price that has to be paid.

I've taken a short video of the silk covered preview screen and the quality sucks, but you'll see it on youtube in a short little while anyway. Hopefully someone else does a better version before it's gone at the end of this week!

I've taken a short video of the silk covered preview screen and the quality sucks, but you'll see it on youtube in a short little while anyway. Hopefully someone else does a better version before it's gone at the end of this week!
Looks wonderfully fluid (filling in the low quality with an advanced Human Imagination algorithm ;)). Would love to have more details on what's being calculated and how. If it is a realtime cloth simulation with collision and self-collision, it's pretty impressive!

Got it yesterday.

The graphics are suprisingly rough.

But the gameplay is shockingly different. They changed alot in the simulation and control. I found it immediatly noticeable in both the professional and whatever the other mode is. In Pro mode, these changes are more pronounced.

I can see why they gave the option to tone this down with the non-professional mode. The feel is different from old GT. In fact, I could call the changes drastic.

So far I like it alot. It's a world apart from GTHD and much different than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back