The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloading as well. Cant wait to check it out. I want to see that in car view :D

Cant believe the amount of content I downloaded on my PS3 in one week. I have never been such a happy gamer since the PS1 days

Downloading as well. Cant wait to check it out. I want to see that in car view :D

Cant believe the amount of content I downloaded on my PS3 in one week. I have never been such a happy gamer since the PS1 days

I´m playing it, no install!

^ AAAaaand? Give us some impressions!

Ehmm the pit is really realtime and it´s somewhat hard to believe...

And it´s fun to be racing again and not just against the clock..

back to the game

EDIT: In car view is really nice, brings the "i am there feeling" way up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm looks a bit bland like other car games when they leave BS zone. although I'll wait more for some more ss and try to lend the PS3 I gave to my cousines for a day!

1316_0019.jpg

Jesus I have broadband and it takes ages to download. Still at 60% and its 2:40 in the morning over here

I got it soon enough, guess too many people discovered it after a while. ;)

So I've been playing this for a good bit, and I have to rush off to bed, but some quick impressions:

- Professional mode is in, and it's the only way I've driven this game so keep that in mind
- the graphics (I use 1280x720p on a 1366x768p euro TV) are a little rough at times. They are incredibly promising, but in this demo there are still some things amiss, like the occasional low-resolution blur effect (for depth of field) and so on.
- the game is incredibly ambitious in terms of graphics, and has a lot of beautiful effects going on at once, but it can't pull them all off at a convincing framerate yet. This also hurts the pit view a bit. The lighting and reflections there are very impressive, but especially the depth-of-field seems too taxing at the moment, and gets very low-res at times which breaks the illusion
- while driving, everything looks pretty awesome, although the low-poly trees are there. But you don't notice them much, the cars are very obviously much more important. What you do notice is tearing when things get busy, and detailed things in the distance tend to flicker a lot.
- it's a crazy experience to drive this game with 10 more cars on the track. finally, and I love it, though at this point I'd trade 4 cars for a little bit more smoothness
- the in car view is a great addition. The view is great and makes sure you can still see a lot of the track and environment, so it's something you can actually use for every day racing. Also, arrow left and right on the wheel indeed pans your head to the left or the right so you can see if someone is next to you (don't know if this is on the controller). You also do bounce up and down and that is included in the camera realistically. Also, in a car that leans (the Evo X is a great example), this is also reflected in the camera, which is awesome.
- the AI has improved plenty. They really take care not to hit you (though they still do at times) and especially valuable is that they know when you get along side them, and then keep their distance. That said, it's not flawless - the Ferrari when driving the Evo always crashes in the same way in the second lap in the first 180 turn after start-finish
- driving on N3 tires, the game is plenty hard, even with the slowest cars. Seems like they were not kidding with the realism. I'll analyse it in more detail, but so far it is very convincing and seems more accurate than certain other games, though similarly hardcore. I had to switch to S3 tires to help me start some races. These tires add the appropriate levels of grip that you should be able to expect from S3 tires, which is very good (you have N1-3, S1-3, and R1-3).
- force feedback on the (driving force pro) wheel is supported and works great. It did seem as if you have a bit too little dead-zone in the center, but I haven't looked into that in detail. It did get better though when (I think - my japanese is non-existent) I switched off the power steering or whatever it was in the steering wheel options.
- I only drove using the wheel so no controller impressions
- the jaggy shadows are there and sometimes get worse
- the rear-view mirror works great, but the cars in it are downgraded. Even more downgraded stuff in the side-view mirror. But at least it's all hi-res now. ;) And the cars are at least there. Also, in the replay mode, the mirrors still reflect the world.
- some cars look just incredible and really show off their material skills ... the TVR Speed 6 especially looks just awesome, but the sun-roof in the 'zoom-zoom' car with all the transparency is a good second.
- if you go off-track that feels pretty convincing also, with the car bouncing all over the place
- if a car does hit you, it feels more convincing now in the wheel, quite neat litte detail
- if you don't do anything in the game for a while, then you get some nice photo-locations (ruins with nice butterflies, german village), or whatever they are. They do look quite convincing at times. You also get a replay of a race on an oval.
- there's no Gamer TV stuff yet, but there's some stuff announced for the Tokyo Motor Show
- there's a news-ticker here and there telling you among others about F1 stuff
- there's a news page with three items on it that I can't read. It doesn't seem to use the webbrowser, by the way.
- BluRay version of full thing seems to be out on the 12th of December in Japan (is mentioned in the game somewhere or in the store, can't remember)
- I think there's a Subaru hidden under a veil currently, and there are two other cars locked that you can't drive currently. These are supposed to be released/reveiled at the same time as they are during the Tokyo Motor Show.

I really need to go to bed. All in all things are very promising. Hopefully they manage to iron out some things before the 'full' game comes out with the online stuff, especially some of the smoothness.

Oh yeah love the in car view. The shadows inside the car are amazing. Reflections on rear mirrors look better than then initial screens.

I dont know how to use the proffesional mode. I changed everything in the options menu. Traction and assistant were switched off and I changed something that was written in japanese into a different option. I dont know what that is but I hope it is the proffesional mode

So far it looks brilliant! Very realistic and much better looking than Forza2

Didnt see any in the demo.

Hey Arwin I didnt see any aliased shadows or any downgrade models in the mirrors. Sahdows looked great and the mirrors depicted everything in the same quality.

I kind of suspect that the game reduces some quality in higher resolution modes after reading your impressions. My TV is SD. Try playing in lower resolutions and tell me if you see any difference.

I liked the AI a lot too. They seem to be doing mistakes. Also if you hit them they lose control. In previous GT's no matter how much you pushed them they didnt lose control.

Something that makes me wonder though. In the trailers I saw some time ago, the driver would reposition his hands realistically on the wheel. In the demo they are stuck on each side of the wheel. Even if you change gears in manual his hands are still on the wheel. The same if you use handbrakes.

Does this change with the steering wheel?

Also can you turn the driver's head while in the in car view like in PGR (I mean with the controller)?

In the trailers I saw some time ago, the driver would reposition his hands realistically on the wheel. In the demo they are stuck on each side of the wheel. Even if you change gears in manual his hands are still on the wheel. The same if you use handbrakes.
afaik, they promised to repair this later in some walkthrough.

Didnt see any in the demo.

Hey Arwin I didnt see any aliased shadows or any downgrade models in the mirrors. Sahdows looked great and the mirrors depicted everything in the same quality.

There is some nasty shadow aliasing.
1316_0019.jpg

There is some nasty shadow aliasing.
1316_0019.jpg
I have the real demo with me. I dont need this picture.

I saw none on my PS3.

I am asking Arwin whether aliasing is a result coming from higher res display settings because I didnt see any on my console. Even the picture you are using (which is really bad), shows nasty shadow aliasing at the backside of one car only.

edit: There seems to be some inconsistency here. dantruon's pic for example has the same car and has no aliasing on the same area.

Played the demo for about an hour and 10mins. Initial impressions:

-Graphics in game are good but not mindblowing. Doesn't give you a "WOW!" effect. The enviornment needs a lot of work. Car models are good.
-I hope the tire screeching noise is changed. Sound of the cars is fine to me but I'm not a big critic of this.
-In car views are good if you use them! I don't but I know it's a big plus for many. Left side mirror seems to be weird. Not everything renders in the left side mirror. Windshield isn't a windshield. There is nothing there.
- tire smoke and debris kicked up is still quite weak looking. Also the lack of leaving tire marks is unacceptable to me.
- too dark in many parts. Coming out of the spoon curve look to the left for a perfect example.
- shimmering/crawling
- AA still needed. Don't see much AF either.
- N1 tires are absolute shit. Basically like the hardest compound available filled with 60psi! I swear, I've never see a street tire on a decent car this bad. But here's the best part. Yet you can pull over 1G with them.
- R3 set feels good. Makes the demo/driving enjoyable. Stick with it.
- In gauges view, why is my tach needle spinning like a ribbon?
- Framrate needs a lot of work. Running by yourself is fine. In a pack, it's very messy.
- No harsh pentalty for bumper cars or running off road. Made some nice passes on the grass infact.
- Garage stuff looks very nice as do replays.

First of all, I'm glad this is a demo as this gives me hope that issues can be addressed. My personal take is that they should've stuck with 720p 60fps and budget the resources better. I know the GT series has a fanatical following but this demo doesn't scream "OMFG! can't wait for this!." Gives off more a "oh cool!' effect.

Demo guide: http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/gt5p/news/d1294.html

[Game Details]
- Seven playable car models are available {Lexus IS F, Nissan GT-R, Mazda Atenza, Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR, Daihatsu OFC-1, BMW 135i Coupe}

- Includes one course (Suzuka Circuit)

- Only single race mode with 16 cars racing simultaneously is available (no online competition)

- Unveiling events will be held in the game from 23rd of October to the 25th of October to coincide with the 40th Tokyo Motor Show 2007

- The “Gran Turismo TV” video distribution corner within the game includes promotional videos for the programs scheduled to be provided

- The “Gran Turismo TV” provides free distribution of an original program related to the 40th Tokyo Motor Show 2007

- Distributes text news related to motor sports and automobile manufacturers

[Warnings]
- The online functionality (unveiling, “Gran Turismo TV”, news) cannot be used offline. Enjoy this content by connecting your PLAYSTATION®3 to the network.

- During the unveiling events period between the 23rd and 25th of October, some car models will not be available for racing, or the car’s display appearance may change depending on the time you play.

- All of the online functionality (unveiling, “Gran Turismo TV”, news) in the free downloadable demo will become unusable after the full version “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” is released.

- If you delete the save data after the online functionality has stopped, the unveiling events will return to their initial state and you will not be able to proceed. Be careful when handling the save data.

Very nice TV (and car). I will have to choose mine carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back