The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF?! :???:
Famitsu noted that the lighting effects in the Pit Menu screen are particularly impressive, and Yamauchi responded that the game uses a technique called High Dynamic Range Lighting. He believes that this is a technique that cannot be replicated on other systems. He also pointed out that the scenery used in the pit menu is actually an evolved version of the same scene from the GT4 intro. Of course, the scene was pre-rendered footage in GT4, and it's real time here.

I think IGN may have left out a few keywords (before or after) during the translations of the Famitsu article. BECAUSE...XBOX 360 CAN DO HDR!!

Lol I believe so to but if not then he obviously hasn't heard about xbox360 or PC (if so then 'shakes head')! :LOL:

Lol I believe so to but if not then he obviously hasn't heard about xbox360 or PC (if so then 'shakes head')! :LOL:

I doubt that is the case since this guy make a living out of this so im pretty sure he is aware of it, maybe what he meant is that the level of HDR used in GT5 cannot be replicate on any other systems since the lighting in this game is in essence make this game looks so visually impressive.

edit - :LOL:

WTF?! :???:

I think IGN may have left out a few keywords (before or after) during the translations of the Famitsu article. BECAUSE...XBOX 360 CAN DO HDR!!
XBOX 360 cannot do 24bit HDR, it can only do 16.

So if he's using 24bit HDR it cannot be done on another console.

Aye...natural lighting on PS3 is very good. Much more range for devs, yet you don'ts see too much discussion on this - or even that many results in multi platform games. VT3 perhaps shows a difference. You can certainly see amazing lighting in Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword (today!)

Last edited by a moderator:
NAO32 isn't HDR, otherwise it would be called HDR:rolleyes:

It may have a similar effect, but it isn't HDR.

I don't think anyone has used it on a 360 game so whether the 360 can do it or not isn't really relevant.

Well 24bit HDr is only speculations as no hint towards it is mentioned at all. But since a G80 can do 128bit HDr he's statement about other systems not able to replicate it is strange. :smile:

Well 24bit HDr is only speculations as no hint towards it is mentioned at all. But since a G80 can do 128bit HDr he's statement about other systems not able to replicate it is strange. :smile:
I am going from one's translation and he said Famista mentioned other Consoles not "systems"

Yes, it is HDR. When is it not called HDR? Only in reference to its name, which is an identifier. If NAO32 were called HDR, then when someone said HS uses HDR, those hearing wouldn't appreciate that it's using a different colour space to more accurately represent light than the more usual RGB space.

I don't think anyone has used it on a 360 game so whether the 360 can do it or not isn't really relevant.
You really should read up on this tech if you're going to post in a tech forum about it. When NAO32 was being discussed, the developers mentioned it was a useful technique for any (shader capable) graphics hardware, including consoles and PC. It's not a hardware feature but a GPU based software solution.

You really should read up on this tech if you're going to post in a tech forum about it. When NAO32 was being discussed, the developers mentioned it was a useful technique for any (shader capable) graphics hardware, including consoles and PC. It's not a hardware feature but a GPU based software solution.
Not being funny, but maybe you should read the post.

Not being funny, but maybe you should read the post.

I think what Shifty means is that High Dynamic Range is not a feature on a graphics card, but a general technique that can be implemented in different ways. Think of it that you can store a number in binary, octagonal, hexadecimals, binary coded decimals, and so on. It's a different way of writing the same information.

The real argument is what resolution you are achieving. NAO32 stores 16 bits worth of HDR, if I recall correctly? So you can equate it to 16 bit HDR as it is achieved in more traditional methods.

Maybe I am being to literal here, for me if it isn't HDR done as it is described in the manual so to speak it isn't HDR.

It is a new implementation that nAo has created to achieve the same effect another way.

It's like 2 wheel drive cars and 4 wheel drive cars, both have the same effect (ie moving a car), but they aren't the same and you would never say they were the same either.

Maybe I am being to literal here, for me if it isn't HDR done as it is described in the manual so to speak it isn't HDR.

It is a new implementation that nAo has created to achieve the same effect another way.

It's like 2 wheel drive cars and 4 wheel drive cars, both have the same effect (ie moving a car), but they aren't the same and you would never say they were the same either.

You seem to have your definitions mixed up..

HDR is an effect to simulate natural real-world phenomena.. It isn't an implementation and therefore NAO32 is as much of a HDR solution as the more conventonal, hardware supported methods..

So what you're saying is that NAO32 is a different way of achieving the same effect but you don't seem to understand that HDR IS the effect your trying to simulate..

But they are both cars.

HDR is akin to the car, where you have different implementations of the drive configuration.

NAO32 is just one implementation of HDR, like 4WD is a drive configuration for a car.

It does not mean than a car with 4WD is not a car, just because the convention for cars is 2WD. The car still works as any other car.

:rolleyes: There is more then ONE way to implement HDR. Maybe you should learn that before posting again.

It may have a similar effect, but it isn't HDR.

Lol.

How cute, hes so set on making out a feature that cannot be done on another console, he refuses that NAO32 is HDR.

Your definitions are screwy! ;)

Right, except what you're calling HDR isn't the official meaning of HDR, but FP-RGB. It's floating point RGB. NAO32 is floating point CIE Luv.

Yes, and you'd call both of them cars. 2WD and 4WD are two versions of CARS. NAO32 and FP-RGB are two versions of HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back