Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

No one said it isn't possible. The question is what will be the backlash when people do not get that performance.
None unless game is broken.
In that case it will get backlash regardless.
Point is there's nothing special about the game that people would treat the recommended specs any differently.
So the idea that what if someone was running 100 tabs in chrome compared to someone who isn't doesn't really hold up. Most pc gamers understand its recommended specs mileage will vary.

I just find recommend specs that amount to nothing a waste of time and only done because it's required on pc. Basically random pc parts

Last edited:
None unless game is broken.
In that case it will get backlash regardless.
Point is there's nothing special about the game that people would treat the recommended specs any differently.
So the idea that what if someone was running 100 tabs in chrome compared to someone who isn't doesn't really hold up. Most pc gamers understand its recommended specs mileage will vary.

I just find recommend specs that amount to nothing a waste of time and only done because it's required on pc. Basically random pc parts

I find specs that don't match reality as a waste of time. I guess we will know which this one falls into. After TLOU I don't have faith in sony creating competent ports

I find specs that don't match reality as a waste of time. I guess we will know which this one falls into. After TLOU I don't have faith in sony creating competent ports
As I said unless a game is broken, which that was.
In that regards recommend specs regardless how it's presented would not matter.

The next DF weekly expresses my feelings a lot better than I am articulating them. As it comes across as having a go at you and your views which isn't meant to be the case.

I find specs that don't match reality as a waste of time.
You know who has control over the the way required/recommended specs are presented for Starfield? Microsoft. :yep2:

Whilst it's easier for consoles, it's not impossible on PC. When I buy games on Steam, I've found the published specifications for most games a pretty good indicator of what performance I am going to get based on the PC I intend to play the game. There will always be factors that influence real performance, like chipsets, PCI bus speed, RAM speed and the specific clocks of GPU cards, but for the most part you can accurately provide a good target of hardware for people who want to run the game at 720p/30, 1080p/60/120, or 4K/60/120/144.

The available info for Starfield is a bit rubbish, so here's hoping that provide more useful performance information before launch. They have 6-7 weeks to provide some clarity.

Personally, Starfield is the BGS that I have been least anxious about in terms of performance and stability. It looked great running on Series X mid-June and remember that they intended to release in November 2022, so by launch it will have had ten months of extra spit and polish.

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey had an hour-long hands on with Starfied at the Direct, and did a 20 minute interview with Todd Howard, who confirmed that all Bethesda have been doing is playing, tuning, tweaking, improving the UI and fixing bugs. This should be the most solid BGS game ever and Fallout 4 was pretty damn solid at launch for me.

SEVEN WEEKS TO GO! :runaway:

You know who has control over the the way required/recommended specs are presented for Starfield? Microsoft. :yep2:

Whilst it's easier for consoles, it's not impossible on PC. When I buy games on Steam, I've found the published specifications for most games a pretty good indicator of what performance I am going to get based on the PC I intend to play the game. There will always be factors that influence real performance, like chipsets, PCI bus speed, RAM speed and the specific clocks of GPU cards, but for the most part you can accurately provide a good target of hardware for people who want to run the game at 720p/30, 1080p/60/120, or 4K/60/120/144.

The available info for Starfield is a bit rubbish, so here's hoping that provide more useful performance information before launch. They have 6-7 weeks to provide some clarity.

Personally, Starfield is the BGS that I have been least anxious about in terms of performance and stability. It looked great running on Series X mid-June and remember that they intended to release in November 2022, so by launch it will have had ten months of extra spit and polish.

IGN's Ryan McCaffrey had an hour-long hands on with Starfied at the Direct, and did a 20 minute interview with Todd Howard, who confirmed that all Bethesda have been doing is playing, tuning, tweaking, improving the UI and fixing bugs. This should be the most solid BGS game ever and Fallout 4 was pretty damn solid at launch for me.

SEVEN WEEKS TO GO! :runaway:

The same type of requirements for every other game on steam are up for starfield

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 125 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD Required
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 125 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD Required

and here is spider-man

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-4160, 3.6 GHz or AMD equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 950 or AMD Radeon RX 470
    • Storage: 75 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4670, 3.4 Ghz or AMD Ryzen5 1600, 3.2 Ghz
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB or AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
    • Storage: 75 GB available space

and the new star wars game

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: 4 core / 8 threads | Intel Core i7-7700 | Ryzen 5 1400
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 8GB VRAM | GTX 1070 | Radeon RX 580
    • Storage: 155 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Internet required for non-optional patching, no online play.
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: 4 core / 8 threads | Intel Core i5 11600K | Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Graphics: 8GB VRAM | RTX2070 | RX 6700 XT
    • Storage: 155 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: Internet required for non-optional patching, no online play.

Well, some people are already playing Starfield...

If you have a spare 6 billion to buy Bethesda you too can play Starfield weeks before anyone else. ;)

So, now we know the real reason that Phil Spencer wanted to buy Bethesda, so he could play Starfield before anyone else. :D

Regards,
SB

If you have a spare 6 billion to buy Bethesda you too can play Starfield weeks before anyone else. ;)
The ultimate Early Access tier! But think about what this means. Bethesda a sufficiently complete version to deploy an early build on Xbox for insiders.

The ultimate Early Access tier! But think about what this means. Bethesda a sufficiently complete version to deploy an early build on Xbox for insiders.

I also like that the head of Xbox plays games. I think that should be mandatory for anyone who is the head of a gaming company or gaming division.

Regards,
SB

Can't agree with it being mandatory. Fusajiro Yamauchi ran Nintendo successfully. He looks like he never had a second of fun in his life, nevermind played a videogame. :)
My thoughts exactly. You don't need to be an advocate of a particular product to successful run a company, mostly that is strategic management decisions and you rely on subordinates experience and skill for most of that. If you have a passion for the business that can help, but equally being close to something can mean you lose perspective. You begin looking at the product as the consumer does. Part of that is important, part of that is dangerous because at the end of the day, your goal is to bleed every penny/cent out of your customers that they can afford. You're answerable to the shareholders.

It's nice that heads of really understand their customers and respect games as a medium unto themselves.

Can't agree with it being mandatory. Fusajiro Yamauchi ran Nintendo successfully. He looks like he never had a second of fun in his life, nevermind played a videogame. :)
oh he looks like a guy that spent a lot of time inspecting the Nintendo love hotels

Also to be fair he passed away about 40 years before nintendo entered the video game market

Reactions: JPT
:) Oops, meant Hiroshi Yamauchi!

That's what a lot of Japanese video game players looked like in the 80's. The guy my mom was married to at the time looked like him and worked at Toshiba. He had 7 consoles and rode a crotch rocket motorcycle to work. :p The guy my aunt married owned his own printing business and looked like a more muscular version of that had 9 consoles. :p

That said, one Yamauchi quote has always stuck out to me and explains why Nintendo games remain so popular.

From wikipedia:

Yamauchi also wanted the machine to be the least expensive of its kind, in his belief that people "do not play with the game machine itself. They play with the software, and they are forced to purchase a game machine in order to use the software. Therefore the price of the machine should be as cheap as possible."

For him, the machine was never the important bit. The console was there only because it had to be there. The important bit was the games. The games are the star and the machine is only there because it's needed in order to run the games. In other words, the games aren't created to show off the capabilities of the console (what most AAA game developers focus on, games for people to look at and as an aside they can also play it), but instead the games are created for people to play and once you've created the game you wrap around it whatever graphics the system is capable of. Game first, graphics second. If any sacrifices have to be made, it'll be to the graphics rather than the gameplay. Unlike, say HZD where the gameplay was sacrificed for the graphics (the whole flying is impossible on PS4 so flying was cut from the game rather than graphics being reduced slightly in order to include flying).

Always interesting reading about him. From the start of his investiture as head of Nintendo, he was always focused on Family. Of course, to Westerners him also creating Nintendo Love Hotels early in his career seems weird, but it's a bit of a quirk of Japanese thinking. A common saying in Japan is all men are sukebei (nasty, like sex monsters). It's not meant in a derogatory way, just a statement of the nature of men. So, back then it was accepted that for Family harmony a man would need to vent those natural impulses on other women lest he disrupt the harmony within the home and put undue stress on his wife (women weren't considered to have the same sexual impulses and appetites as men) ... in other words, to reduce the chances that the man's natural impulses would lead to him abusing his wife. Like I said, it's a weird thing for Westerners to wrap their heads around. At the same time because of McCarthy's influence on Japan (the Japanese of the time idolized him) lots of things that were normal in Japanese society became unacceptable and associated with the "bad" "rotten" core that was consider part of why the elites in Japan took the country to war and more importantly was part of why they committed so many atrocities during the war. Thus Love Hotels were sort of the "clean and acceptable" place for this to happen. Anyway, this is getting too sidetracked in trying to explain why a man so focused on Family would have a company where he was trying to build up an image of Family focused values also had Nintendo Love Hotels. In Japan at the time they were considered essential to having a good family.

Hmm, that was one epic side track. :D While he didn't himself play games, he was very much focused on the family and thus had a great insight into what kids would want to play. As with many Japanese men, there might have also been a core resentment inside (that was never shown to the public) of being deprived of the freedom to be a child and play games. Hence his almost obsessive focus on providing family oriented games targeted at children.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

Starfield: The Settled Systems - The Hand that Feeds​

Starfield: The Settled Systems - Where Hope is Built​

Starfield: The Settled Systems - Supra Et Ultra​

Back