Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Not when they are owned by MS. I feel like people are gonna be much less charitable these days with Todd Howard. Who people already had little patience for after 76. This is their first actual launch since 2015 and now only focused on a single ecosystem. It better run well

Can we say single ecosystem when PC is in the mix ? Granted it's one api, but they have to deal with a lot of hardware combinaisons.

Can we say single ecosystem when PC is in the mix ? Granted it's one api, but they have to deal with a lot of hardware combinaisons.
That was one of the claimed benefits of shutting down the PlayStation versions of games. I think it holds water 🌊

That was one of the claimed benefits of shutting down the PlayStation versions of games. I think it holds water 🌊

Doesn't for me. I mean in the PS2/3 era when it was a b*tch to code for, maybe, but now ? For all the feedback we can read here and there, making games for PS4/5 is pretty easy, with good dev kits and good apis...

Doesn't for me. I mean in the PS2/3 era when it was a b*tch to code for, maybe, but now ? For all the feedback we can read here and there, making games for PS4/5 is pretty easy, with good dev kits and good apis...
every resource removed from windows / xbox os version of windows is resources that could have gone to making the xbox and pc versions the best they can be . We see plenty of examples of ps5 or xbox series games having effects missing from the other platforms or bugs on one platform that don't exist on the other. We can even look at recent Sony pc releases which are sometimes years divorced from the playstation version having bad performance nad bugs that didn't exist in the original

By removing xbox one/s/x along with ps4/pro and ps5 that is a lot of hardware less to bug fix on. It wont solve all the issues and some additional work was likely already done due to them being in production previous to the purchase but it will certainly save time on the back end

every resource removed from windows / xbox os version of windows is resources that could have gone to making the xbox and pc versions the best they can be . We see plenty of examples of ps5 or xbox series games having effects missing from the other platforms or bugs on one platform that don't exist on the other. We can even look at recent Sony pc releases which are sometimes years divorced from the playstation version having bad performance nad bugs that didn't exist in the original

By removing xbox one/s/x along with ps4/pro and ps5 that is a lot of hardware less to bug fix on. It wont solve all the issues and some additional work was likely already done due to them being in production previous to the purchase but it will certainly save time on the back end
In general the two consoles have amazing parity. The differences are minor. The console parity is in a state that we have never experienced before in any generation ever between consoles.
The recent issues are mostly a phenomenon present on PC and seems to be something inherent in how PCs work. We are probably in an age were consoles are the best and most developer friendly place to make games on.
Unlike in the past where each console had its own weird architectural configuration and developers had to pull their hair off trying to find creative solutions. The PS5 especially seems to have reached a better game development environment than its competitors. Maybe it would have served them better if they targeted only consoles or PS5 and PCs. The latter makes much more sense financially too.
Considering how close XBOX, PS and PCs are now, its probably worth trying to support all even if it means a bit of extra work.

Not if you want to sell GamePass subscriptions.
If they want to sell more GamePass subscriptions Microsoft should experiment releasing games On GamePass ahead of selling it on Steam. Keeping games off platforms that could run them, will not sell GamePass subscriptions to people who only game on a PlayStation 5.

Five weeks to the Direct! :runaway:

Many many gamers don't have Steam. Don't be silly. There wouldn't be so much outrage about Starfield's exclusivity if Sony fans weren't going to miss it.

Remember, 80 million gamers that bought a PS4 haven't bought a PS5 yet.

Many many gamers don't have Steam. Don't be silly. There wouldn't be so much outrage about Starfield's exclusivity if Sony fans weren't going to miss it. Remember, 80 million gamers that bought a PS4 haven't bought a PS5 yet.
Steam, Epic Store, or Microsoft Store on PC or Xbox.

The 80 million remaining PS4 owners who have not yet bought a PS5 yet are limited by the issue of there not being 80m PS5s in the support chain. I'm sure there will be a number of PS4 owners who will not be buying a PS5.

Steam, Epic Store, or Microsoft Store on PC or Xbox.

The 80 million remaining PS4 owners who have not yet bought a PS5 yet are limited by the issue of there not being 80m PS5s in the support chain. I'm sure there will be a number of PS4 owners who will not be buying a PS5.

That isn't true on its own. Only 90ish million people bought a ps3. So a 120m isn't a guarantee and if the games a person want are on a different platform then they will go to that platform. That is the great thing about competition.

If they want to sell more GamePass subscriptions Microsoft should experiment releasing games On GamePass ahead of selling it on Steam. Keeping games off platforms that could run them, will not sell GamePass subscriptions to people who only game on a PlayStation 5.

Five weeks to the Direct! :runaway:
I'd say on 90%+ systems that run steam you can also run the xbox app that plays game pass. You can even use xcloud on the steam deck with the built in browser so its likely even higher than that

People are bringing up stupid side points that have nothing to do with the main argument, which is that MS believes making games like Starfield exclusive to Xbox will help gamers who are on the fence about which system to get to choose Xbox and hopefully GamePass as well. It's all a snowball they are trying (but failing at the moment) to build where a non-PC gamer that hasn't purchased a current gen console (~120m people right now) says: "Can I really live without Starfield, Doom next, Fable next, Gears 6, Hellblade 2, Forza etc...."

Last generation it was 120m/50m (PS/Xbox). MS would be pretty happy if all these exclusive games got them to 105m/65m this time around considering that Japan is a complete lost cause. That should get them to 50 million GP subs at a minimum.

People are bringing up stupid side points that have nothing to do with the main argument, which is that MS believes making games like Starfield exclusive to Xbox will help gamers who are on the fence about which system to get to choose Xbox and hopefully GamePass as well. It's all a snowball they are trying (but failing at the moment) to build where a non-PC gamer that hasn't purchased a current gen console (~120m people right now) says: "Can I really live without Starfield, Doom next, Fable next, Gears 6, Hellblade 2, Forza etc...."

Last generation it was 120m/50m (PS/Xbox). MS would be pretty happy if all these exclusive games got them to 105m/65m this time around considering that Japan is a complete lost cause. That should get them to 50 million GP subs at a minimum.

The other flip side is that Single player games don't need large communities of active players to be successful. People will go out and buy or use game pass to play starfield and that will be that , perhaps dlc or something comes down the pipe but it doesn't matter if in 7 months there is no one playing. However with multiplayer games its very important to make sure the community is large enough. When you are selling only to 50-60m people or heck the what 20m or so xbox series consoles currently in peoples hands its a lot harder to have a community large enough to support a multiplayer game. That is why you open it up to other consoles.

PC specs:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, Intel Core i7-6800K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 125 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: SSD Required
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM