Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

If this is the case, why are people in this thread who don't even own a PlayStation saying they were underwhelmed by what was shown? This is not about platforms, this is just about what was shown underwhelmed a lot of people. Starfield is one of my most anticipated games and I was underwhelmed. As I said in an earlier post, what they showed (gun fights, dogfighting) isn' t the appeal for BGS's games to me; it's the exploration and that really is difficult to capture in a fifteen minute demo.

I feel the same way. When msft acquired bethesda console warriors were shouting "its exclusive now, exclusive! GG playstation". My initial reaction was, shouldn't we wait first and see if game is any good?
The game gfx wise looks like a good step forward in compare to Fallout4 but when you compare to other next gen games it dosent look anything special, gameplay as of now look very generic, planets look empty and there are some valid concerns how do you fill 1000 planets with content that is fun to play. B besides fallout76 havent disappointed yet and i hope game will be good, but there are a lot of concerns right now, and presentation did not knock me down.
I didnt know much about starfield, i had very low expectations and yet i am disappointed.

It's just what it is. I was reading in another forum that Microsoft shouldn't pay for timed exclusives just to put them on game pass cause they can still be game pass day one if they came to ps5. But it seems to be fine if games like ff7 remake are timed exclusives on the sony platform.

It's weird double standard console war bullshit.

Expect to see this for all bethesda and activation/blizzard games that are exclusive to the xbox/pc going forward
Oh dont pretend double standards are exclusive to Playstation fans. Someone can bring up the example where sony acquires a temporary exclusivity on just one game, and some people get bat shit insane, XBOX buys a whole studio with all the popular IPs and the same people sugar quote it like the best thing ever.

I decided to write about this here instead of in other threads.

Starfield is basically Skyrim in space with some extra gameplay elements. Ordinarily that would get everyone super excited, but instead tons of people are picking on the reveal footage. Why? Because it's not releasing on PS5 and is now owned by MS. Skyrim wasn't exactly a framerate and graphical showpiece in its day either on console, especially on older consoles. Bethesda games have always been a little buggy and somewhat bland because of their huge scope. Starfield is no different. This isn't surprising. Neither is the disappointing media coverage.
I am a PS5 owner, found the game impressive, posted a video of the gameplay footage, and then complaints followed from XBOX owners :p
Similarly I have negative things to say for the PS5 exclusive Forspoken which I find a lot less impressive than Starfield.
I think the complains are real, because these days I think console owners are getting more used to better performances with the different modes available.

Btw I found Skyrim a lot less impressive in its time than this is today. I disliked the visuals a lot. I found Skyrim more generic and artistically uninspiring back then but people loved it.

I decided to write about this here instead of in other threads.

Starfield is basically Skyrim in space with some extra gameplay elements. Ordinarily that would get everyone super excited, but instead tons of people are picking on the reveal footage. Why? Because it's not releasing on PS5 and is now owned by MS. Skyrim wasn't exactly a framerate and graphical showpiece in its day either on console, especially on older consoles. Bethesda games have always been a little buggy and somewhat bland because of their huge scope. Starfield is no different. This isn't surprising. Neither is the disappointing media coverage.

I have read and heard this at different places. Was just thinking to comment about it, but your ahead. The ones who arent really a fan of MS platforms (PC, xbox, GP etc) are the ones that dont find it impressive.
The graphics are really impressive imo, considering what its doing. Its unfair to compare it to a more linear game or even CP2077 which is heavily on RT. Starfield is basically a Skyrim successor, in space. Its mighty popular already and will sell very well on its intended platforms. The negative comments are from a small group on some forums, it doesnt dictate this game's success in any way.

If this is the case, why are people in this thread who don't even own a PlayStation saying they were underwhelmed by what was shown? This is not about platforms

Owning of certain platforms has little to do with what someone prefers or not.

I've caught up on this thread after ten days of holiday / vacation, and finally now had a chance to see the gameplay trailer.

I'll repeat what I've seen a few others say: Bethesda has created a recipe for these games, a pattern of implementation that seems to tickle my fancy. That recipe, for me, started with Oblivion. Then we got Fallout 3 (and soon after Fallout 3 NV) which was basically postapocalyptic Oblivion with guns. Then we got Skyrim which was just Oblivion a few hundred years later but with moderately upgraded graphics. Then we got Fallout 4 which was moderately upgraded Skyrim but with the postapocalyptic setting again, and guns.

Literally none of these games were graphically impressive for their respective times. They were hitchy, glitchy, blurry textured, pop-in ridden masterpieces of single player open world discovery. The facial animation has always been poor, the number of unique voice actors has always been humorously low, the physics have always been more than just a little bit off, point me to any legit majority who said otherwise and maybe I'll reconsider.

The point is, Starfield is now just Morrowind / Oblivion / Fallout 3 / Fallout NV / Skyrim / Fallout 4 now in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE. It's going to be a hitchy, glitchy, blurry-textured-somewhere, strangely-faced, curiously animated single player masterpiece of open world exploration yet again. You know why? Because that's the only shit Bethesda really is any good at, hell they pretty much suck at basically everything else. I think most of the reason FO76 sucks so bad is because a lot of these hitches and glitches and sillyness is easier to forgive in a single player game versus a world where hundreds of real people directly interact with eachother.

Between the fallouts and elder scrolls series games I mentioned above, I've easily got two or three thousand hours of playtime spread across them all. I'm reasonably confident whatever Bethesda has haphazardly slapped together for Starfield will somehow end up dragging me and millions of other players right back into again. And just like the other games, we'll still be finding random shit that nobody else saw years and years from the release date -- because that's what these games do, and that's why they're interestnig.

I'm not here to play Captain Save-a-Todd-Howard; that dude can fend for himself. What I will say is: it's Oblivion in SPPAAAAAAAAAAAACE, which means I might as well just get a wad of cash and scream SHUT UP AND TAKE MUH MONIES.

:)

I'm hoping a game 25 years in the making won't be haphazardly slapped together :)

One benefit of having lots of open space on many planets is a lot of room for modders to place their creations without conflicting much with anything else, which happened a lot with Skyrim.

Oh dont pretend double standards are exclusive to Playstation fans. Someone can bring up the example where sony acquires a temporary exclusivity on just one game, and some people get bat shit insane, XBOX buys a whole studio with all the popular IPs and the same people sugar quote it like the best thing ever.

I am a PS5 owner, found the game impressive, posted a video of the gameplay footage, and then complaints followed from XBOX owners :p
Similarly I have negative things to say for the PS5 exclusive Forspoken which I find a lot less impressive than Starfield.
I think the complains are real, because these days I think console owners are getting more used to better performances with the different modes available.

Btw I found Skyrim a lot less impressive in its time than this is today. I disliked the visuals a lot. I found Skyrim more generic and artistically uninspiring back then but people loved it.
1) Companies buy other companies all the time. Sony has bought multiple developers in the last 5 or so years. It is just what it is. I rather a company buys another company out right than pay for exclusives honestly. Sony bought Bungie and now I know that if I want bungie games I should look to the playstation and pc for them and no expect them on xbox. Its better than being excited for say destiny 3 and then find out oh its an paid exclusive for the playstation and pc maybe it will come in 6 or 12 or 24 months or who knows. That is me personally and I have said it in many threads in the past. I am also happy now that Sony seems more willing to put their games on pc so I don't need to buy another dedicated piece of hardware.

2) I don't get the complaints because there has never been a bethesda rpg that looks as good as other games of the generation. Morrow wind was a great game but not a great looker , oblivion was the same and so was skyrim. I"m a WRPG/CRPG fan and this game looks like a great addition to the genre. It also has another 7-11 months of development time left to go

The issue with Forspoken is that for an action game the world looks barren. There are so few enemies that it doesn't look good . There isn't actually anything that looks bad. The main complaints seem to be performance related , not being able to land your ship anywhere and that resource gathering looks like no man sky.

Last edited:
I'm hoping a game 25 years in the making won't be haphazardly slapped together :)
I hope my "haphazardly slapped together" comment was taken with at least a little grain of the humorous salt I intended :)

I also firmly believe they've been thinking about making an Elder Space-Scrolls game for 25 years; I doubt they've been writing actual code for any more than 1/3rd of that time. Concept art hanging on walls? Notes scribbled into a notepad somewhere? I've been "making" my 500 wheel-horsepower 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata for 25 years too, if you start counting back to the time when I was thinking about how I wanted a very light, rear wheel drive, turbocharged, convertable, street legal adult go-kart with AC and power steering and a nice audio system :p
One benefit of having lots of open space on many planets is a lot of room for modders to place their creations without conflicting much with anything else, which happened a lot with Skyrim.
Yeah, this absolutely crossed my mind too. And I can only imagine how many stupid hours people like me will scour those 1000 planets looking for some oddball thing Bethesda planted out there -- or something we imagine they did. I was trying to think of how to describe my thoughts here, and this scene from the first season of the HBO television series WestWorld came into my mind:

"They come back because they discover something they imagine noone had ever noticed before. Something they fall in love with."

And in so linking that clip, I remember again how absolutely amazing that show was in its first season. My god the writing was amazing...

Last edited:
I didn't see any discussion here about The Forge
Bethesda based their rendering layer for their next-gen engine on The Forge. We helped integrate and optimize it.
As so many different features and techniques are implemented I couldn't draw any specific conclusions w.r.t Starfield. Looking at the retrospectives on their website the people have helped on big titles like Call Of Duty & Spiderman.

For me, I get the complaints, But whatever, this game is about moving gameplay forward than it is moving graphics barriers forward. For a title like this and Elden Ring, they need to focus on execution, fluidity of the controls etc making sure jank is at a minimal.

I think if they can accomplish a smooth experience with decent controlling feel, players will be happy.

Better really late and buggy than late and really buggy. :)
That's probably pretty accurate. And I say that as somebody who loves their games.

This game will still have issues, as basically any game of their type and scope will, and I worry today's outrage addicts along with this unfortunate demand for super refined polish in games nowadays is gonna mean this game is gonna get trashed by a large chunk of people no matter what. Because gamers simply cannot appreciate the reality of games development or the idea of 'priorities'.

Also, I'm still pretty adamant this game is gonna be 30fps on consoles as standard(along with heavy CPU and GPU demands for PC users) and there'll be flak for that as well with ignorant people claiming it's poor optimization and "there's no reason a game today shouldn't be 60fps". Maybe there'll be a performance mode, but it wont be a 60fps mode, necessarily. Maybe 40fps, or an unlocked mode hoping that VRR can alleviate the worst of the fluctuations.

Back