Star Wars: Force Unleashed

The force stuff in Jedi Knight 2 was cool because it had a close to perfect balance IMHO. You had nothing at the start and had to fight your way through all those stormtroopers and other guys as the average bounty hunter, with blasters and sneaking around. It was an incredible transition when you've gained various force skills and suddenly had power over them, knocking them off their feet and taking their weapons and cutting them down in slow motion.

Now if you start the game as such a skilled Jedi then I can imagine it being less fun.

Have Intel actually developed any of Havok, or just bought the company that did recently to add to their repertoire and haven't contributed anything themselves (that is, nothing has changed since the acquisition and the Havok being used was developed totally independently of Intel so Intel shouldn't be attributed the product yet)?
Since the acquisition happened only in September last year, I'd say Intel's input so far would have been very minimal. It was just a smart business decision aimed at long-term goals.

I also think these companies should get together to create an integrated system super-deluxe middleware. The combination, at least on paper, seems an ideal next-gen engine incorporating all the facets of future gaming (and physics) technologies. I suppose there is a conflict of interests with Euphoria and Havok's behavioural physics though. From the sounds of it, DMM is locked into LucasArts which sounds a travesty.

Indeed, IIRC Havok has some form of behavioural engine itself. It just might be the case where a competitors product is slightly more advanced and thus LA decided rather to fiddle with incorporating a different engine instead of using the built-in stuff. But that's just the usual guess work here.

The force stuff in Jedi Knight 2 was cool because it had a close to perfect balance IMHO. You had nothing at the start and had to fight your way through all those stormtroopers and other guys as the average bounty hunter, with blasters and sneaking around. It was an incredible transition when you've gained various force skills and suddenly had power over them, knocking them off their feet and taking their weapons and cutting them down in slow motion.

Now if you start the game as such a skilled Jedi then I can imagine it being less fun.

Very valid concern but I remember getting the Force Speed first time, which wasn't exactly useful, by the end of the game you could fully level up to almost stopping time making light saber/force speed combo priceless against stormtroopers.

I hope they do it right. It's not easy, but it is certainly possible - LocoRoco PS3 is a good demonstration, though some parts of moving things about in 3D space actually worked quite well in the Harry Potter demo too. The wand waving to ignite the pillars was completely busted, but ironically what seems much more spectacular worked great. It's clear to me that for whatever you need precision, you need to use tilt rather than lateral movement. Anything that can stand a tiny delay can use lateral movement. Lifting something heavy would be a good example, as for something like that a slight delay is natural.

And make it optional, of course. ;)

If it's coming for the DS and PSP (in some form or other), I'm pretty sure they could have managed something for the PC.
That would imply that the average X86-64 modern CPU delivers enough computational throughput to be compared favorably with the DS' ARM7 and ARM9 CPUs and the PSP's MIPS CPUs. And that would be a big assumption!

More seriously, I think they just refused to announce a PC version for the moment. Or that they considered that the minimum required specs for the PC version would be too high... But then again, Lucas Art has farmed the production of the Wii and PS2 version of the game to a third party studio. In the worse case, they could have ported that version to the PC. In which case, any PC out there, including the ones with Intel GM 945 IGPs, could run it.

Yeah I was expecting something more in line with the JK series. It's strange how this type of game (Star Wars FPS) hasn't had a revival on new systems. There were stacks of good PC versions, and now every man and his dog is trying to make "the new Halo"... I would have thought it would have been a no-brainer.

That said, SW:FU looks quite good, though it seems to be taking the "universe" for a very extended vacation into la la land. Not that I'm the kind of guy to go off on rants about canon or anything, but damn, couldn't they have just done this in a different timeline a la KOTOR?

Back