*spin* Devs Showing Games on PC/Console HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we had insiders on gaf months before e3 saying this would happen. Now we have proof that at least some games were on high end pc.

Seems a little fishy to say the least.

We also have proof that one of the best *looking* games at the show was running on XBO hardware so i'm not sure exactly whats been proven except that not everyone has final hardware yet. Will games look better/worse than they did at E3? Maybe but thats true of both platforms and was true 7 years into the current generation too.

If I read things correctly, it's even more hilarious given the nature of the video game shown using PC Hardware. The game is lococycle, which is an Xbox360 and Xbox One title, so it typically means it won't be pushing the graphics or cpu boundaries.

If I read things correctly, it's even more hilarious given the nature of the video game shown using PC Hardware. The game is lococycle, which is an Xbox360 and Xbox One title, so it typically means it won't be pushing the graphics or cpu boundaries.

Lococycle and Crimson Dragon, and both are Xbox 360 titles ported to Xbox One.

We also have proof that one of the best *looking* games at the show was running on XBO hardware so i'm not sure exactly whats been proven except that not everyone has final hardware yet.
It's awfully close to launch to not have final hardware available, isn't it? Everyone should have had final dev kits since around new years, last I heard.

Maybe this lends some credence to the rumors a couple months ago that said that MS was overall behind on development, and won't actually have much content available at launch because everything else simply isn't done yet.

Have they confirmed what games will actually launch with the system? And how many of those are next-gen exclusive?

It's awfully close to launch to not have final hardware available, isn't it? Everyone should have had final dev kits since around new years, last I heard.

Maybe this lends some credence to the rumors a couple months ago that said that MS was overall behind on development, and won't actually have much content available at launch because everything else simply isn't done yet.

Have they confirmed what games will actually launch with the system? And how many of those are next-gen exclusive?

They are way ahead of the 360 in terms of dev kits and launch lineup.

Beta dev kits at december.

First Party/exclusives:
- Ryse
- Forza 5
- Dead Rising 3
- Killer Instinct
- Lococycle
- Kinect Sports Rivals
- Project Spark
- Minecraft One

Third Party:
- Watch_Dogs
- Madden 25
- NBA Live 14
- CoD: Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Zumba Fitness: World Party
- AC 4

I'm not debating if they are on or off schedule to produce final hardware for launch, I'm responding to the thought that MS was showing XBO games on PCs because the real hardware sucks. No one knows what their internal schedule is or what their production capacity is.

MS stated a 2013 release date at their first press event, then got more specific with November at this one. If things were truly that dire I would guess they'd have said December for launch, giving themselves as much time as possible, or nothing at all.

And it would seem so far that games running on different hardware were early Xbox 360 game/ports. Crimson Dragon certainly looks it, but also awesome.

Well, we only know what they tell us in that regard. What we've actually seen is a different story, and it makes other statements somewhat questionable, IMO. I guess the other thing to ask would be whether MS supplied all those demo units, or whether each developer brought their own, in which case it's down to a few developers that clearly aren't confident enough in their games' performance to run it on a dev kit, and bring something far more powerful instead.

All we know is that XB1 has been shown on a mixture of dev kits and PCs. Thats practically every launch. Correct me if I am wrong but pics of beta kits for the 360 didn't start appearing on the internet until after e3 and final dev kits seem to appear right before launch. All while, info was released far more liberally last launch.

Devs are going to be at different stages of development. And there is nothing that says all devs get their beta dev kits at the same time. Producing a demo for e3 isnt' a ho hum endeavor.

Plus, alphas kits were supposedly sporting nvidia cards, which makes sense since Fermi was the closest thing to GCN before its release by AMD and only nvidia released cards sporting rather large amounts of DDR3 (3 GB).

You could be right and this could be a massive conspiracy by MS to fool us. Your evidence isn't enough to prove that conspiracy. Futhermore, we will know what the XB1 will capable of doing at launch so if there is a massive downgrade for games it will be evident before you have to shell out $500.

Beta dev kits at december.

First Party/exclusives:
- Ryse
- Forza 5
- Dead Rising 3
- Killer Instinct
- Lococycle
- Kinect Sports Rivals
- Project Spark
- Minecraft One

Third Party:
- Watch_Dogs
- Madden 25
- NBA Live 14
- CoD: Ghosts
- Battlefield 4
- Zumba Fitness: World Party
- AC 4

Those are all launch games that'll be available Nov 21st?

Final devkits with final silicon definitely isn't running the final shipping OS which is no doubt still being worked on. Other problem is that it's far more important to show a working build of a game than to show a game running on a devkit if your game isn't planning on shipping at launch. A game gets more negative press for crashing than positive press for running on actual hardware (sad but true).

I'd only be alarmed if any of the launch games weren't running on devkits, but as far as we know, they were.

Final devkits with final silicon definitely isn't running the final shipping OS which is no doubt still being worked on. Other problem is that it's far more important to show a working build of a game than to show a game running on a devkit if your game isn't planning on shipping at launch. A game gets more negative press for crashing than positive press for running on actual hardware (sad but true).

I'd only be alarmed if any of the launch games weren't running on devkits, but as far as we know, they were.

I have some serious problems to understand why they would be behind in the OS sw for that device. I don't even understand why they would be behind with the HW side because the technology isn't new. This whole operation looks to me completely mismanaged and rushed.

I have some serious problems to understand why they would be behind in the OS sw for that device. I don't even understand why they would be behind with the HW side because the technology isn't new. This whole operation looks to me completely mismanaged and rushed.

Lets see, they see something approximating final silicon for the first time in January.
They have to Write a hyper visor, port one OS and write another.
Write drivers, write all the shell stuff etc etc etc.

I really don't know why people think Software on this (or any significant scale) is an easy problem.

Lazy devs, am I right? :yes:

The BF4 demo was on a PC, but I guess we are going to argue that Dice cannot get a dev kit and had to fake it. If the game isn't running on a XB1, put a disclaimer on the screen and be up front.. Otherwise it is lying, no matter how much lip stick you put on it.

Rumors were the alpha dev kits had 7970s, not Nvidia.

Because the definition of "final" I used is "ready to ship". It clearly isn't. No OS is. Notice how Sony has only just begun to show off videos of how the PS4 OS works? Because it also isn't ready.

It's been like this for literally every console launch that I can remember (N64).

Lets see, they see something approximating final silicon for the first time in January.
They have to Write a hyper visor, port one OS and write another.
Write drivers, write all the shell stuff etc etc etc.

I really don't know why people think Software on this (or any significant scale) is an easy problem.

Because they have proven OS technology. They have working PCs with fully understood technology unlike with the 360 where they needed to use G5s.

They have working proven GPU drivers by AMD. They would need some driver work about the custom dma engines and depending how they realized the ESRAM perhaps some software TLB/MMU swap handling. Some audio driver work. The Kinect stuff is developed on the PC anyway. The whole shop/user interface stuff would be developed over the last few years like any other Windows OS application and then integrated into the OS port.

For all these things they had year(s) to plan, design, simulate and then implement. Why should this be such a problem for a company as MS with so many resources and experienced developers?

P.S. I've been involved in low and mid level OS development and porting to custom powerpc HW with ridiculous low resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back