*spin* Devs Showing Games on PC/Console HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...not even MS is using Windows 8?

Edit: a more serious question: why are they using NVidia tec? Isn't this weird because the X1 features a AMD GPU? Is it that simple and effective to port NVidia code to AMD? Am a bit confused?!?
Are these games cross platform? If so, they'll be the PC version, created for a show under stress when they want to get on and finish the game. ;) If first party games are using PCs instead of the XB1 SOC devkit, that suggests issues with supply or reliability or something.

I would imagine they are just shells. 3 weeks ago xbone could barely even run it's os at 60 fps. Let alone a game.

It's a shame the us gamer guy couldn't say which game he saw crash but its obvious it isn't any of the ones above as he said it was a major publishers game.

If I was a betting man I would put money on everything running on these uber powerful 'dev kits' to ensure ms had a good show. Thuway on gaf (not the mist reliable source but his record on his e3 predictions was pretty good from what I can gather) said everything we see from xbone will get downgraded before launch, which fits with this idea.

It's a completely understandable move by ms and any company in their position would've done the same (or released impossible target renders *cough*). It really would've been game over if they didn't do this.

This will not get into the mainstream however xbone looking as good as ps4 will and most people will forget hy November.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will not get into the mainstream however xbone looking as good as ps4 will and most people will forget hy November.

If the previews/reviews don't show it, it'll still be quickly known when people begin to see for themselves and word spreads.

I would imagine they are just shells. 3 weeks ago xbone could barely even run it's os at 60 fps. Let alone a game.

It's a shame the us gamer guy couldn't say which game he saw crash but its obvious it isn't any of the ones above as he said it was a major publishers game.

If I was a betting man I would put money on everything running on these uber powerful 'dev kits' to ensure ms had a good show. Thuway on gaf (not the mist reliable source but his record on his e3 predictions was pretty good from what I can gather) said everything we see from xbone will get downgraded before launch, which fits with this idea.

It's a completely understandable move by ms and any company in their position would've done the same (or released impossible target renders *cough*). It really would've been game over if they didn't do this.

There are a bundle of wires coming from the back of each box there, and Kinect has to work here presumably. There were a few other stands with no box and a different unit under the desk, like the one that crashed to a windows desktop. I'd guess those with the X1 on show and apparently functioning are the ones running on dev kits/X1 hardware.

And where do those wires go? Into the hole at the back of the cabinet. I'm almost positive they are shells. Kinect probably is necessary for those games so is plugged in to the pc in the locked cabinet.

I think even though they are denying what blow is saying crytex still say they are running on a dev kit. Dev kits do not looj like retail units.

And where do those wires go? Into the hole at the back. I'm almost positive they are shells. Kinect probably ia necessary for those games so is plugged in to the pc in the locked cabinet.
We know some playable games and demonstrations were running on X1 dev kits, but not all of them.

Wires would have to go into the hole to power, and up through the cover to the TV, if the units on show were functional. The only questionable displays were those without hardware on display (like Crimson Dragon), as far as I know. Coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:
They were running on devkits even the devs are admitting that. As far as I know ryse had the shells setup too but they have said it was running on devkits so already disproving your theory.

They were running on devkits even the devs are admitting that. As far as I know ryse had the shells setup too but they have said it was running on devkits so already disproving your theory.

My theory is that the demos with XBone hardware on display were running on dev kits, whether the hardware on display was functional or not. While the ones without, like Crimson Dragon, we're not.

Wow, apparently this last console generation was so long that 14-15 year olds never experienced its launch and seem surprised by this stuff. After you've been through an E3 right before a console launch, you learn a few things:

1) Videos are NEVER representative of graphical quality. See "Madden next-gen" from 2005. You see a video, ignore it.
2) Any hardware developers have been working on is beta quality at best. It is never a final devkit. In the past, a fully polished final devkit has looked like a slight bigger version of the retail system (of course if the system has just had its looks unveiled, that means they don't have them).
3) Games themselves are in a beta state. Unless a game is coming out at launch, you should not make any definite judgements based on what you see played on the show floor.
4) Any game that doesn't have a release year should not get you excited (Final Fantasy versus XIII now Final Fantasy XV was first announced in 2006, Kingdom Hearts 3 is likely to have a similar fate)

Xbox 360 stuff in 05 was on early 360 dev kits. X1 and PS4 both seem to be further along with final hardware at this point.

The most shocking thing in this thread is if most ps4 games were running on development kits.
According to Johnathan Blow, they were. The take on GAF is that MS is trying to make the system look more capable than it actually is, and that the games won't look as good when they're finally released later this year. Aliens: Colonial Marines on a full system scale.

People mention the announcements from last-gen in 2005, but don't forget we're a hell of a lot closer to launch this time. At this point, there's no reason for anyone to still be developing on a PC, especially one using a completely different GPU architecture.. those are NOT dev kits. They've got the real dev kits back at their development offices, and they've had final hardware for months now. So the real question is, why didn't they bring them? It's not a secret any more.. we know what's in them. No reason at all to leave them behind except PR.

So you could say that MS's new promotion is "If you want the best gaming experience for Xbox, buy a PC." Unfortunately, most gamers won't be aware of any of this. Those of us that actually keep up with the news and current events are in the extreme minority.

Most demos were apparently running on X1 dev hardware, including Quantum Break according to Sam Lake. Ryse too. Probably all the 1st party stuff.

The negative spin is perhaps more misleading in this case.

Well, we only know what they tell us in that regard. What we've actually seen is a different story, and it makes other statements somewhat questionable, IMO. I guess the other thing to ask would be whether MS supplied all those demo units, or whether each developer brought their own, in which case it's down to a few developers that clearly aren't confident enough in their games' performance to run it on a dev kit, and bring something far more powerful instead.

Xbox 360 stuff in 05 was on early 360 dev kits. X1 and PS4 both seem to be further along with final hardware at this point.

Xbox 360 stuff in 05 was on Power Macs, exactly a Power Mac G5, with an empty Xbox 360 case at side.

According to Johnathan Blow, they were. The take on GAF is that MS is trying to make the system look more capable than it actually is, and that the games won't look as good when they're finally released later this year. Aliens: Colonial Marines on a full system scale.

What else would you expect on gaf these days?

Well we had insiders on gaf months before e3 saying this would happen. Now we have proof that at least some games were on high end pc.

Seems a little fishy to say the least.

ixRnGg0.png

its just status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back