As a console gamer, I tried a master race PC rig recently, and now I have a dirty eyesight. I want!!

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
A friend of mine has a custom built PC and after playing on it I asked him if I could come over another day and then another and so on and so forth, and played BF4 (at 150 fps on average or so) :oops::oops:, Far Cry 4 (it was a pirated version, the game ran fine but it had huge black crushes issues, to the point where shadowy zones were impossible to see, except for a silhouette, and it wasn't a thing of his PC, because other games had no black crush at all, shall ask about the issue in the forums).

He has 7.1 headphones, an Ozone keyboard and mouse combo with lots of lights, he uses seven fans for the innards of his PC, the performance of that machine is outworldly impressive, and I want to play it more.

He has a 144Hz PC display with 1ms of input lag. o_O:confused:

Plus he purchased a nice chair for his gaming sessions. Still, I am going to recommend him one of these chairs for the master race.

Emperor-Chair-1510-1-600x600.jpg

polepositionjason2edit.jpg

2jb02ud.gif

Anyways, the graphics were mouth watering and the performance of the machine so smooth and soft and fine...

Ideally I will build one of those if money permits next year or in a couple of years when DirectX 12 is standard.

The point of this thread is that it seems like consoles have been left behind performance wise these days. I started as a PC gamer but I consider myself a console gamer at heart, or a gamer in general. I will probably use my console more, but I want one of those too.

2jb02ud.gif

The point of this thread is that it seems like consoles have been left behind performance wise these days. I started as a PC gamer but I consider myself a console gamer at heart, or a gamer in general. I will probably use my console more, but I want one of those too.

Should of known better. You are just like a former addict who picked up the pipe and told yourself, "one hit is not going to hurt".

And whats up with the chair? Unless the guy is playing GTA 5 and barreling down Mount Chiliad for kicks, his chair shouldn't react like a bucking bronco.

Nevertheless, I too have been contemplating getting back into PC gaming. Luckily fully featured DX12 looked to be rather expensive for the time being so I am able to hold out since I need to build out a totally new desktop PC.

Last edited:
Aye, I agree. So early in the generation and PCs are already quite far ahead. However, I don't like the idea of using the wattage of effectively three consoles at once, so I'm either going to upgrade sometime soon to a card that doesn't actually need me to upgrade my powerunit, or I'll wait until Virtual Reality and DX12 are out.

Some games run quite well though on my PC (i7 3rd gen Vpro and 16GB of pretty high-speed RAM make it pretty good for Cities: Skylines, say ;), but the GPU is a measly GTX 550ti or something like that)

Also, I'm going to upgrade my PS4's drive soon, I've decided. About 100 euro gets me 2TB, and that should be enough for now. I need it for keeping as much games on there as I can to keep track of techingames stuff, after all, or so I keep telling myself.

Should of known better. You are just like a former addict who picked up the pipe and told yourself, "one hit is not going to hurt".

And whats up with the chair? Unless the guy is playing GTA 5 and barreling down Mount Chiliad for kicks, his chair shouldn't react like a bucking bronco.

I think by tilting extremely into every direction, the chair is supposed to use gravity to give an impression of being exposed to centrifugal forces that aren't there.

I guess they are trying to emulate the senstation of inertia at highspeeds through natural gravity, which I think is quite clever, though am not so sure if it really works properly.

thats what i experienced too to an extend.

i played BF4 on PC on slow-ass Phenom II X2 + Radeon 7770 on 1440x900@60fps with graphic option as i needed. But today i just played it on PS4 and...

O_O

so many things are wrong. The pop up, the shimmering, etc.
But after finished the car-chase intro. I no longer mind those deficits.

Thank you Brain for adapting quickly :D

It is a shame the PCs are so far ahead already...we can only hope devs can get good improvments from this gen (I'm sure they will). Personally I've decided to keep my i5 2500K/560Ti setup - in fact I've even invested in a TrackIR and Hotas X - I'm looking to setup in my shed now it's got power (it's more a man-cave than shed lol)...I dare say I'll end up upgrading the PC in a year or so to a GTX970 and overclock the CPU or get something better just to give me a nice upgrade for my Elite and DayZ needs...who knows, maybe I will become a PC gamer again in a couple of years :)

Ideally I will build one of those if money permits next year or in a couple of years when DirectX 12 is standard.
What's the price?

The point of this thread is that it seems like consoles have been left behind performance wise these days.
PS4 has been out 16 months. 16 months after PS3, dual 8800 GTs were available. The price to surpass the consoles is lower than before because the consoles aren't top-end HW, but this isn't anything new. It comes down to pricing and software and experience. The best visuals have remained with PC since cross-platform because commonplace.

ps4 and xbox one are good value for their price, we should not compare high end PCs much more expensive.
it's like Ferrari owners who would try to convince Lada owners to buy a ferrari because those are so much better.

7.1 headphone + 144Hz LCD, that must be dumbfoundingly immersive.
In fact, I realized after the VR hype ended in the 90s that the silly helmets with stuff were not really needed, as I remembered Doom did the trick. First time I seen doom 1 shareware as a kid, that was on a kick ass PC : 486 DX 33 with VLB video card, adlib music and sound blaster effects. I was lost, knee deep in the dead.

Sorry, but the only thing I got out of your message is that your friend has enough money to buy loads of great PC components and is still such a large enough prick that he pirates Far Cry 4.

Which, of course, is completely common place among the PC Master Race. So when anybody complains about anything, yeah.. start there.

lol

Bravo

Sorry, but the only thing I got out of your message is that your friend has enough money to buy loads of great PC components and is still such a large enough prick that he pirates Far Cry 4.

Given how it was reported that the game was almost unplayable due to the strong Black-Crush, I'd guess he pirated it mostly just to benchmark his hobbyist killer machine, instead of actually playing it to completion. If that's it, I don't think there's much harm there.

Which, of course, is completely common place among the PC Master Race. So when anybody complains about anything, yeah.. start there.

Yeah, i think part of the logic of gaming PC's, is after that initial investment the software may come cheaper, even aside from pirating, lets say with steam sales and all that. But Cyan'r friend in the OP probably has a mentality like "sure it's $1k (or whatever) for this box, but after that software is free".

Not going to lie I have pirated a game or two in the past. But I guess I grew up and got a job. Now I wouldn't risk all the malware likely buried somewhere in those pirated games. Besides I've always been a very very picky gamer. So there's just a few titles a year I'm even interested in and I dont mind spending $40-$60 for those.

Anyways I can just echo shifty's post, yes PC's have better performance. No, they still dont really directly compete with consoles.

Me, I used to invest in PC hardware but did very little actual gaming on PC, so it became very hard to justify. I realized I was far more into PC hardware rat race than PC gaming. My brother OTOH, well he lives on PC gaming, it's always MMO's and other stuff on PC (currently playing some Korean MMO called arc age or something, looks like a farming/village simulator to me, as every time I see it seems he is planting crops or something but he swears it isn't :) ). He will just own a PS3 or a PS4 mostly I'd say for the odd Final Fantasy game, but mostly it will collect dust. For him I can understand spending the $ on his rig. Which, he does not usually keep an uber rig anyway. He did spend $650 on I believe a Geforce 780 (maybe Ti, maybe not?) a while back when they were new. Which the thing that sucks about it is 3GB VRAM...he is screwed for the future/4k, but I dont think he really cares. It works for his 1080P gaming now and when he needs better he will get it.

For very social gaming PC is a must because of the keyboard. My brother is probably always chatting with ten people while gaming. For that a keyboard is obviously a must. He even has that dual monitor setup. The crazy thing is I shit you not he uses a 52" Samsung HDTV as his main gaming monitor (yes, he bought it specifically for this purpose a few years ago). And yes he sits close to his desk like normal. He does acknowledged he really needs something smaller and more manageable, but hasn't cared enough to actually do anything. I keep trying to talk him into a smaller (even just 40") 4k monitor as they're getting cheap, and he seems agreeable but again has not actually done it.

Last edited:
Aye, I agree. So early in the generation and PCs are already quite far ahead
At the start of last gen, PC graphics cards were about 100W. Whereas at the start of this gen, they're about 3x that. So of course PC is comparatively far ahead this time around.

just played BF4 multiplayer
OMG i has been spoiled with PC's and Destiny's stable frame rate...

flying on helicopter is annoying stutter.

but my friends on PS4 did not notice that problem...

lesson learned:
never play multiplatform game on PC AND Console.

I guess they are trying to emulate the senstation of inertia at highspeeds through natural gravity, which I think is quite clever, though am not so sure if it really works properly.

It works very well. Simulators for NASA, the Air Force and other armed forces are using a much more extensive version of stuff like that.

It gives the feel of acceleration (pointed up), deceleration (pointed down), turning, and everything in between.

Many amusement parks have some systems like this.

That said, the illusion is somewhat ruined if it isn't fully enclosed as your peripheral vision will see the world around you not reacting like what you see on your monitor.

Regards,
SB

It works very well. Simulators for NASA, the Air Force and other armed forces are using a much more extensive version of stuff like that.

It gives the feel of acceleration (pointed up), deceleration (pointed down), turning, and everything in between.

Many amusement parks have some systems like this.

That said, the illusion is somewhat ruined if it isn't fully enclosed as your peripheral vision will see the world around you not reacting like what you see on your monitor.

Regards,
SB

My guessing is that it might be very effective, but I'm confident the illusion isn't 100%. Much like stereoscopic 3d, it fools some parts of your depth perseption but not all - A single eye can get a rough understanding of depth by itself just by the tiny amout of parallax it gets from sub-mm jolts it does within the sockets - something no VR is capable of detecting as of now -
With perception of movement and momentum, our body probably has a good few overlapping ways of detecting and interpreting movement, and those might not all be fooled the same way by tilting you around, but that's a little outside my knowledge, so I don't know really.

Back