*spin* Devs Showing Games on PC/Console HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all these things they had year(s) to plan, design, simulate and then implement. Why should this be such a problem for a company as MS with so many resources and experienced developers?

In my experience, actually shipping something is a pretty good achievement in the SW and HW industry.

It just seems like it boils down to people somehow being in disbelief that the Xbox One pumped out visuals that some, for one reason or another, felt the system somehow wouldn't be capable of, and now that Xbox One games are a lot more visually impressive than people were expecting, the assumption is now that the wool is being pulled over everybody's eyes and Microsoft and all these developers are out there faking it and lying to people.

I don't think people needed to see any smoking gun or pcs possibly running xbox one games to have these suspicions. People wanted to see the Xbox One showcase itself as much weaker than it has at E3. And as it pertains to pcs running games, has anybody ever considered the possibility that even though pcs may be running some games at E3, that the graphical quality and assets are the same as what's going to be used on the Xbox One, and so even if the hardware inside the pcs are different, the actual game as represented is a valid representation of what the game will look like on Xbox One?

I imagine it's easier to handle potential problems with demoing or showing your game at E3 using a windows pc than might be the case with a non final dev kit? And from the looks of things, it's the least graphically impressive titles on Xbox One, such as lococyle and crimson dragon that appeared to be running off of pcs, whereas more graphically impressive titles, such as Forza, Ryse, and I believe Project Spark, all appeared to be running on actual Xbox One hardware at E3, and a number of people have said precisely that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only problem is one of lack of sense from the forum warrior peanut gallery.

Soon there'll be a call to drag Microsoft executives up to Capitol Hill to be taken to task on the Xbox One's E3 presentation. Oh, and they won't be able to use their private jets. They'll have to drive up there in a prius. :p

Soon there'll be a call to drag Microsoft executives up to Capitol Hill to be taken to task on the Xbox One's E3 presentation. Oh, and they won't be able to use their private jets. They'll have to drive up there in a prius. :p

No, they'll be forced to sign in on a PS3 and attempt to use that voice chat system, I mean that text pad typing chat system. :LOL:

No, they'll be forced to sign in on a PS3 and attempt to use that voice chat system, I mean that text pad typing chat system. :LOL:

Ouch! There were a few threads on the verge about this very topic... Folks on there are worse than GAF.

It seems stupid to worry about this. this whole console one-upmanship is some peoples livelihoods I guess. It shouldn't be the province of grown men to do that imho.

For the devs, when is a game finally optimized wrt to shipping?

For the devs, when is a game finally optimized wrt to shipping?

Are you asking when it's done?
The last of us went gold on May 15th according to Cristophe's twitter account
It shipped Friday, so roughly a month from Gold master to store shelves.
Prior to that there would likely have been multiple weeks of internal testing, where little was changed outside of bug fixes, though those could include performance fixes.

So call it 8-12 weeks before the game ships, so if your aiming for launch in say Mid November you'd have to be done Mid to late Aug probably.

Prior to that there would likely have been multiple weeks of internal testing, where little was changed outside of bug fixes, though those could include performance fixes.

So call it 8-12 weeks before the game ships, so if your aiming for launch in say Mid November you'd have to be done Mid to late Aug probably.

Thank you.

The most shocking thing in this thread is if most ps4 games were running on development kits.

Both ps360 were using high end pc at e3 the years they launched.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20060606094811.html
PS4 stuff was running on dev kits for the most part. A woman who is an Harmonix's employee also confirmed that their game was running on Xbox One hardware.

Also the 1st party games seemed to be running on actual Xbox One hardware -there was physical hardware there-, whatever silicon those boxes had inside.

This Forbes' article explains everything in great detail:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...idia-hardware-it-doesnt-matter-and-heres-why/

its funny how neogaf tries to make these rumors more bigger than what they really are.. we know the games running on PC hardware are Lococycle and and Crimson Dragon... yet fanboys are making rumors about Forza 5,Ryse etc..where is their proof? these developers confirmed these games to be running on dev kits and there is also confirmation from behind closed doors about this.

its funny how neogaf tries to make these rumors more bigger than what they really are.. we know the games running on PC hardware are Lococycle and and Crimson Dragon... yet fanboys are making rumors about Forza 5,Ryse etc..where is their proof? these developers confirmed these games to be running on dev kits and there is also confirmation from behind closed doors about this.

It gets kind of tiring to see anyone labeled fanboy when they discuss the truth. These threads are the only thing that have got the devs to go on record and admit they are or are not using real hardware and not PCs. You should be thanking them and not attacking them. If you see the odd post that has factually incorrect info, just correct them. The truth is much more important than spin and hand waving.

You also left BF4 off your list, orginally everyone thought it was XB1 hardware (it was the MS stage), but they left the backspace prompt on screen which warranted a question which led to them admitting to using a PC.

It gets kind of tiring to see anyone labeled fanboy when they discuss the truth. These threads are the only thing that have got the devs to go on record and admit they are or are not using real hardware and not PCs. You should be thanking them and not attacking them. If you see the odd post that has factually incorrect info, just correct them. The truth is much more important than spin and hand waving.

You also left BF4 off your list, orginally everyone thought it was XB1 hardware (it was the MS stage), but they left the backspace prompt on screen which warranted a question which led to them admitting to using a PC.

And what we won if devs "admit" they are using a PC? what I mean is, ok, it is interesting as a news, but I can't see how is it an issue for the dev or the console.

What true? the games in question was lococycle and crimson dragon ( lococycle dev said it was something to with them using PC hardware) where is the proof that Ryse,Forza 5 or K.I ran on PC?

what makes the PS4 devs saying their games ran on PS4 dev kits different? for al we know it can be BS too? and i didn't say anything about that game because is not an exclusive,there was also people claiming EA games demoed on PS4 were running on PC hardware too.

neogaf is a waste land. Nothing positive about ms can be said as the person saying it is attacked or the thread is locked. Lets not make Beyond3d the same.

And what we won if devs "admit" they are using a PC? what I mean is, ok, it is interesting as a news, but I can't see how is it an issue for the dev or the console.
That's it. The information. As ever, emotional attachment shouldn't come into it, at with point it is literally just the info that matters. "Is XB1 hardware ready? Oh, they have PCs running games at E3. And they also have some real hardware. Okay, hardware's probably in limited supply now."

There's nothing to be gained from making a song and dance about how MS is deceiving people using PCs. There's also nothing to be gained by silencing people from giving that information, or not questioning devs as to whether they're using devkits or PCs. The issue is fanboys failing to understand what anything means in the console space. Certainly at B3D, knowing Sony have PS4 devkits all-round for their showings but MS have a mix of devkits and PCs tells us something about manufacturing which forms another piece of the puzzle to fit with all the other info we've had over the months.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

Microsoft has a credibility problem. Xbox One launches in less than six months and yet its E3 press conference featured visibly poor performing software and a bunch of games actually running on PC-based surrogate hardware. We're told that these computers are either "target hardware" or "debug environments" but debate still surrounds the technological make-up of this kit - photos from E3 have emerged showing watercooled CPUs with Nvidia GeForce hardware, a world apart from production Xbox One silicon. We have reports of games crashing to Hewlett Packard branded desktops, stories of crashed game executables being terminated from the Windows Task Manager, and a conference reveal replete with the groan-inducing chicanery of "in-engine" footage and CG trailers.

Suffice to say, it's somewhat dismaying and very concerning that the majority of Xbox One games we saw at E3 were not actually running on console hardware, to the point where we were wondering whether the title of this article was somewhat disingenuous. We couldn't help but flash back to E3 2005, where key games were running on PowerPC Macintosh-based Xbox 360 dev kits (some of them overclocked, to boot). Coming out of E3, it's difficult to avoid the sense that Microsoft is not as prepared for its upcoming launch as it should be, especially in comparison to Sony, which was able to show all of its titles running on actual PlayStation hardware. It's a shame because beyond the glitches, tearing and poor performance of many of the games, it's our contention that Microsoft has a pretty strong launch line-up here.

DF has a pretty good article up. I also got the same vibe since we had report before e3 that something like this was going to happen.

Software running on genuine, visible Xbox One hardware falls in with a small first-party club, including titles like Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct and Ryse. Each at a promised 1080p native resolution, with the former two targeting 60fps as well, both of which showing huge promise as launch titles, covering off the racing and fighting genres quite nicely. The lack of games optimised to this point on actual Xbox One hardware is worrying, but even so, if the E3 demos are at all indicative, fans of zombie action games and rail-shooters should also be very well catered for when the hardware launches.

Not all bad news. These games looked great...

Here's a question for you. Based on previous experience with launch titles (if you have any) how long before long did you need to have your game running on final hardware? I guess what I'm asking is if Xbox One dev kits are abnormally late, if some devs are running on PCs instead of dev kits. I suppose how much time you need with the proper dev kit depends on the system and the tools.

My impression is that Xbox One is having some difficulties right now. Not sure how worried I am for launch though.

The biggest problem I see with that wasn't that they were running on devkits (essentially PC's to spec)

The problem I see is that they weren't even AMD GPU's.

This fact alone is enough to call BS on the notion that they were "just dev kits".

No developer kit this close to launch would be running on Nvidia GPU's to emulate what they expect out of xbone hardware (barring a significant change in spec).

To that, these developers were clearly showing the pc version of the game, and seemingly in the best light possible (high-end nvidia GPU that xbone doesn't have a prayer of matching and likely an intel Ivy/Sandybridge).

That is what is disturbing to me.

The biggest problem I see with that wasn't that they were running on devkits (essentially PC's to spec)

The problem I see is that they weren't even AMD GPU's.

This fact alone is enough to call BS on the notion that they were "just dev kits".

No developer kit this close to launch would be running on Nvidia GPU's to emulate what they expect out of xbone hardware (barring a significant change in spec).

To that, these developers were clearly showing the pc version of the game, and seemingly in the best light possible (high-end nvidia GPU that xbone doesn't have a prayer of matching and likely an intel Ivy/Sandybridge).

That is what is disturbing to me.

Maybe the 50% compute lead the PS4 has over the Xbone is more telling than MS are willing to let on. Especially for launch games.

The only way to get the visuals to match was to use full blown PC's running Titans.

My impression is that Xbox One is having some difficulties right now. Not sure how worried I am for launch though.

With the hardware being what it is, I doubt any dev will have difficulty in "porting" the game to xbone hardware (ESRAM management may be a bit tricky though)

The problem I see is that the demos were not representative of what to expect from the hardware. A top of the line Nvidia card with a 3+GHz Sandy/Ivy is at least double the performance of what you'd get out of xbone.

The fact that this hardware was not xbone devkit showing supposed xbone games is really despicable at this point because there's no reason for it other than trying to make the games look better than what they would otherwise. And as MS has said, they don't need to, right? I mean who cares about performance? If the game runs at 720p 30fps show it at 720p 30fps.

Nobody would notice the difference anyway, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back