Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Wait unless Sony isn't actually using the design that Nesh posted (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1517018&postcount=30 ) I'm not sure how you can claim they look even remotely alike.
Regards,
SB

Dude, you are now bashing the wrong horse with wrong facts. You definitely should check the official material as that pic is not even remotely like NGP. It looks like this

sony_ngp_1-580x296.jpg

And it has real analog controls this time. two of them in fact :)

Actually does anyone know how heavy this thing is? Would it be comfortable to hold it one handed to say watch a video?

Oh, well I take back everything I said then. :) That looks far more interesting as a gaming device and far less interesting as a media device.

Regards,
SB

Serious question: how many here do any significant gaming on iOS? I have never been able to go much beyond Angry Birds.

My wife and kid game on iOS a lot, mostly "educational" games. e.g., all sorts of word games (Wheel of Fortune, Chicktionary, Scrabble), Angry Bird, board games, etc. I am "forced" to join them for family time. I try to play other games more on PS3 because I can see how long my kid has been playing. If he games on portable devices, it's difficult for me to tell if he's overdoing it. I'm not always successful so far. :)

That'd be the wrong move IMO. People have a choice of content providers, and Sony want them to pick Qriocity, obviously. If the base model doesn't support TV out, the value of NGP as a media player is...no more than any other alternative. But chuck in a few dollars worth of TV output, and suddenly it has a significant added value. Why buy an iPod and docking bay for music and video, when you can buy an HDMI enabled NGP and connect it straight to your TV or amp without any fuss?

NGP is a gaming device first and forth most. The main draw is its control versatility and the exclusive contents. With the Playstation Suite move, they are already casting the net wide for Qriocity. There will be assorted devices that support TV out. At this point, it's more a limiting move for NGP rather than Qriocity.

I also wonder if TV out will complicate licensing issues for some content (e.g., playing on TV may be more expensive than on a small screen). I think may be NathansFortune will know more…

EDIT:
Oh, well I take back everything I said then. :) That looks far more interesting as a gaming device and far less interesting as a media device.

It has a smaller screen than iPad and no 3D. So simple playback wise, it's less interesting than both iPad and 3DS hardware. But Sony can add interactive dimension to the media via software (e.g., karaoke) or marketing (e.g., Qriocity DRM). However, I believe the licensing for music is more expensive with interactive option (as opposed to just pure listening).

50 million PSPs have been sold. I don't believe most of them were drawn to PSP for its quality and fidelity to the home console experience. I think a lot picked it for its media capabilities - it had a strikingly good screen for its time of release, and was price competitively with things like Archos while also offering other entertainment functions including games. PSP is no longer the only full media platform; they can all do everything. Meaning now the reasons to own a PSP, for gaming, films, music, web browsing, all in one package, are no longer reasons to get NGP when your mobile already does that, including GPS, internet access, yada yada. The only differentiator now is the game potential, which won't appeal to everyone. So how many of the 50 million PSP buyers care for twin-stick shooters and Monster Hunter? If 10 million, that leaves 40 million without a particular tie to NGP. Thus we can't look at NGP even repeating PSP's respectible success, unless tens of millions of console gamers also want to play those same games on the go Which we can be confident isn't the case given existing console gamers saying, "I want to play those experiences on my console." ;)

In a way it's like PSS is there to shore up the probably titchy market, with developers being told they don't have to target a small user base but will have a huge one, with Sony able to invest in PSS exclusives to single-handedly try and attract buyers with titles like Uncharted and LBP.

My opinion on this seems to be the opposite. I've always felt games drove PSP sales, especially in recent years when the media capabilities of the PSP were no longer unique. I think the gaming functionality actually held it back as a successful media device since despite being technically superior to the iPod until 2007, it was easily outcompeted. The only other thing holding it back was storage capacity, which the success of the original iPhone and iPod touch showed wasn't a major factor.

PSS could be an interesting third platform for Sony if it takes off in the android market. Pricing will be critical though since it will have to compete with the already existing game ecosystem. The best part of the PSS capable spec is the controller. I see people enjoying and becoming accustomed to gamepad controls, so who knows, maybe this is a possible gateway drug to the NGP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to TV out, IMHO, 3D screen may be a bigger omission. Further down the road, I expect more portable devices to sport an autostereoscopic screen.

Btw, does NGP support L3 and R3 ?

Here's my issue with a device like this. If I'm at home and feel like gaming, then I'll play on a pc or console and get a proper gaming experience. If I'm heading out then I do not want to have to carry anything more than my phone so I'd never bring it with me. If I absolutely positively felt the need to carry something with me when heading out, other than my phone which is always with me, then I'd bring a laptop or tablet and have the ability to game and do everything else I want as a bonus without being confined to whatever this device will limit me to. So I just don't see how this device can ever sell in large numbers, seems like it will be relegated to niche except perhaps in Japan.
I think Sony would make a smart move allowing some capabilities of the console to be used as it was a phone when needed, even if it just meant creating a peripheral to provide the same functionality, so you could insert your phone card like a regular phone. With a touchscreen it's quite feasible, there's no need for numerical buttons.

They have a lot of experience regarding the subject. Now I have a Nokia but I've had a Sony Ericsson in the past, and integrating the PSP2 with Xperia and their older and larger sibling would be mind-boggling.

My only gripe is the console doesn't have a dual screen like the DS-3DS. However, with such an outrageous resolution for a handheld they could vertically split some games when needed. That would be a great feature, I think.

Here's my issue with a device like this. If I'm at home and feel like gaming, then I'll play on a pc or console and get a proper gaming experience. If I'm heading out then I do not want to have to carry anything more than my phone so I'd never bring it with me. If I absolutely positively felt the need to carry something with me when heading out, other than my phone which is always with me, then I'd bring a laptop or tablet and have the ability to game and do everything else I want as a bonus without being confined to whatever this device will limit me to. So I just don't see how this device can ever sell in large numbers, seems like it will be relegated to niche except perhaps in Japan.

That's why there's the NGP and the PS Suite for a 2-pronged attack. You'd fall into the PS Suite camp. Others would buy the PSP2.

Still, there's no reason that after NGP launches in Japan and a die size shrink, the US version can't be launched using a slide out form factor that puts more emphasis on the PSP2's functions as a media tablet for other markets.

Heh heh, yes, not so brilliant.

One of the execs mentioned that they need more time to finalize the pricing. Some of the specs hasn't been frozen yet it seems. And they need to gauge user interest.

Some failed, of course, like Garfield.

OT, Garfield has been improved... http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

"Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb."

That was quite the informative and mundane comic.

Back in the days, before web comics, comics used to try to be funny or witty. Some failed, of course, like Garfield. But quite a succeeded (The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, etc.)

Sometimes the editorial accompanying the comics there are far more elucidating.

In this case, they have a point. The NGP/PSP2 is undoubtedly far more expensive to manufacture than the NDS. And unlike something like the iPhone there isn't a 2 year contract that can be used to hide the real cost of the device.

IMO, if it launches at 249 USD, Sony are going to be eating a large chunk of the cost and hoping software more than makes up for selling the device at a loss. If Sony don't want it to be a loss leader, then the price may be in the 400-700 USD range.

They could skimp on the front and rear facing cameras, but do you really want to do that when you went to the trouble of including an expensive high resolution OLED touch screen? Accelerometers, GPS, another touchscreen on the back, WiFI, electronic compass...(panting for breath). Quad core Arm + graphics good enough to run games at 960x544. Which means you'll need to pack in a decent amount of RAM. How much flash will be onboard? It's also a media device right?

Actually, with a touchscreen and gyroscopes, I'm kinda hoping this one gets hacked like the PSP did. It would make a phenomenal HTPC remote + gamepad. Even better than a hacked PSP I used as a portable gaming device + Windows gamepad. Even better if Sony just allowed legal homebrew to enable that sort of functionality.

Would be awesome if it also had an IR emitter. This would rock as a touchscreen TV remote. :D

Regards,
SB

Too early to tell. This time round, it shares more parts/tech with high volume devices. Revenue source will include software, accessories, and subscription. BOM cost may look different next year. And software easier to write or port.

Hopefully, the experience will appeal to enough core gamers.

I agree it would make a great high end remote, especially with a dock.

And there is the imminent move to 28nm chips whereas launch units for christmas 2011 will be manufactured on 45nm.

Perhaps there is something on NGP+PS3+PS Suite combination that makes more people want to get PSN+ to create additional profit for sony.

Far too many people are using the 3DS to extrapolate where they thing the NGP price should be without taking into account Nintendo already told them they are ripping them off cause it got a better reaction then they expected. There is no way this thing will cost any where near $700. $500 is likely the ceiling is far as price goes and I seriously doubt they go that high.

Far too many people are using the 3DS to extrapolate where they thing the NGP price should be without taking into account Nintendo already told them they are ripping them off cause it got a better reaction then they expected. There is no way this thing will cost any where near $700. $500 is likely the ceiling is far as price goes and I seriously doubt they go that high.

Does anyone really think they'd sell at $400 or above? I can't see them even selling at that high, I even have trouble believing the 3ds will be popular at $250.

Back