Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

I think it's pretty obvious it would be a Sony engine considering that tour he made to all the first party Sony studios, looking at their tech. But he said he's narrowing the search but still hasn't settled on an engine for either gameplay or graphics.

Doesn't matter what it is. Kojima said he doesn't have an engine yet. Game is at least 3-4 years away. I have no idea why the trailer claimed to be real time. Maybe he's using something temporarily, but it won't represent the final product at all.
He said that before the reveal so he could have been bullshitting Keighley as a misdirect.

New pics from FFXV

image_final_fantasy_xv-32243-2754_0004.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32243-2754_0005.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32243-2754_0006.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32244-2754_0001.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32244-2754_0002.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32244-2754_0003.jpg

image_final_fantasy_xv-32244-2754_0006.jpg

What's the point in having 10s of thousands of polygons for hair and then mess it all up with shit AA ? Not only that I also see lots of shader aliasing.

The game would look beautiful with a better AA, at this point 900P Duscae 2.0 looks better even when compared to XV at 1080P, and it runs better too if platinum demo and the E3 videos are to go by. The hair also looked so much better in Duscae.

Some upcoming games e.g. gears ,will support HDR TV output. However from last generation a lot of games have used HDR rendering. Does Gears of war use different frame buffer format from other games? Or it does other work to support HDR TVs?

And how much work has to be made for previous HDR games to support HDR TV?

Thanks.

Some upcoming games e.g. gears ,will support HDR TV output. However from last generation a lot of games have used HDR rendering. Does Gears of war use different frame buffer format from other games? Or it does other work to support HDR TVs?

Thanks.
Changes have to be made in the pipeline to include it I think.
What games do right now is basically render HDR and then convert it to standard range to be displayed in normal TVs.

You know how DSLRs take HDR images right? They take one picture at low exposure, one at normal and one at high and then combine it to created an HDR image that can be displayed in standard range. While this is pretty accurate it is still "fake", HDR TVs will allow for a real dynamic range and games will not have to resort to the aforementioned method to display HDR. However, this is probably something that needs to be in there from the start.

What's the point in having 10s of thousands of polygons for hair and then mess it all up with shit AA ? Not only that I also see lots of shader aliasing.

The game would look beautiful with a better AA, at this point 900P Duscae 2.0 looks better even when compared to XV at 1080P, and it runs better too if platinum demo and the E3 videos are to go by. The hair also looked so much better in Duscae.
Indeed, their usage of sharpening filter is really bad.
Really hope there will be option to turn it off/down.

Changes have to be made in the pipeline to include it I think.
What games do right now is basically render HDR and then convert it to standard range to be displayed in normal TVs.

You know how DSLRs take HDR images right? They take one picture at low exposure, one at normal and one at high and then combine it to created an HDR image that can be displayed in standard range. While this is pretty accurate it is still "fake", HDR TVs will allow for a real dynamic range and games will not have to resort to the aforementioned method to display HDR. However, this is probably something that needs to be in there from the start.
DSLR can take over 12 stps with single image when saving to raw formats.
Dual or braketed shots can go well beyond that.

The HDR resulted is real, sadly normal monitors cannot display them properly and thus easiest HDR modes in cameras usually do the crappy conversion to LDR format.

HDR tv helps a lot, but still have Limited range. (MDR would describe them better.)

Games already render in HDR, so biggest changes are in making sure that correct luminosity range is used in workflow and changes in post processing and tone mapping.

Last edited:
From the DF video:

This area looked nice, not sure if it is actual geometry, could be pom, weird that they don't have ssr in this scene
bf11vxuxn.jpg

Temporal artifacts point towards tssaa as used in doom, uncharted 4, unreal 4 games and others
bf12o5ucn.jpg

bf13oguvq.jpg

I also didn't see any signs of the tessellation technique used in battlefront, maybe they'll add it later on.

Thanks.
For the majority of PBR engines, its quite trivial. They already render and shade the scene in linear HDR space, and only covert it back to the screens colourspace at the very end of the frame. For HDR displays, all they need to do is adapt that last step.

Back