Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

The comment about Twitter losing state info when you exit to LiveArea or switch to another app is valid. I think Gradthawn complained about similar issues in the Friends app. Sony will have to address these usability problems if they want Vita OS to run on their cellphones.

Hmm... I played with Vita's Twitter app again. Like other Vita apps, it does keep its state and position when I exit to LiveArea or swipe to another app and back. The web browser does not mess with the Twitter app. Not sure what issues Ars encountered.

The issue in the twitter app is that if you click on a link, it transfers yo to the browser, when you go back to the twitter app it resets your browsing position to the top of the twitter stream.
It's pretty irritating if you're trying to read through long stream of tweets.

This is consistent with apps in general, Vita keeps one application open at a time, and you lose state if you load another app.

No it doesn't. ^_^

I thought it would reset the position when backed out to LiveArea, but it didn't. Was able to flip between the web browser and the Twitter client several times, browsing different links, without losing state.

Try it !

I also tried swiping to other apps. I think the web browser will lose its position sometimes if it reloads the page. It's the same behavior on Safari on iOS.

FaceBook has been released in US today. It seems to embed WebKit inside. As a result, we can't run the FaceBook client together with the web browser. It's the weakest app compared to the rest.

Dosn't it switch to English if youv'e set your PS3 to speak english, in system language?
( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/systemlanguage.html )

That's what all games does here in Norway, I shop in the norwegian store with Norwegian currency, but all games are english language, by default.
If I switch to Norwegian, the games wich is localised, switch to english.
Some games you can change in options, but most just use the system-settings.

Yes, same. I had my language on Dutch for a while and everything was in Dutch,including for instance Fifa in-match commentary. Now I've switched to English and everything is in English..

The twitter app actually opens the browser such that you can have a browser open in-game if you use it apparently.

EDIT: Actually, did the 1.61 enable running the browser and games at the same time? Because I had Uncharted open when I started the browser.

Dosn't it switch to English if youv'e set your PS3 to speak english, in system language?
( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/systemlanguage.html )

That's what all games does here in Norway, I shop in the norwegian store with Norwegian currency, but all games are english language, by default.
If I switch to Norwegian, the games wich is localised, switch to english.
Some games you can change in options, but most just use the system-settings.

That depends if the game is multi-language or not. With games that are (generally, SCE games) it isn't a problem and system settings takes care of everything. However, there are quite a few games that are not (Activision games, Final Fantasy games etc).

Maybe it's regional dependant. Central Europe might focus on German, Spanish, Italian and French on the medium where as northern countries perhaps on English and some others. I'm really not sure. To enhance the problem further, you don't get a clear indication on the cover of the games either which languages are included (like what you'd find on a BluRay or DVD-Video disk cover). Usually in our stores here, if you're lucky, it might be labeled as including the standard languages (usually German, French, Italian here) but no mention of english, even if its included. Then on other games, there's no mention at all and it's anyones guess really. Unfortunately digital distribution over PSN doesn't sort out this problem at all (so far).

BTW: It's being sold here at an absolut bargain. At Mediamarkt (a large consumer electronics store in Europe) it's selling at 265 CHF (roughly 220 Euros, 186 GBP or 293 USD including VAT) - so an absolute steal - yet, I didn't buy one.

It's the confusion over the language on the games, the PSN account boundaries and most importantly the games I'm not too interested in. As great as the Uncharted title looks, I'm not sure it's something I'd want to play on a handheld. I also played Wipeout briefly and I'm really not impressed. Nice graphics, framerate okayish but above all, I don't think it translates well to the handheld experience. I thought the same of Wipeout Pure on the PSP btw.

I like Stardust however and if there were more games of that caliber, I'd buy it in an instant. I also think the PixelJunk games would translate very well to the Vita or generally a handheld. I also quite liked replaying the old PSone games on the PSP - Final Fantasy VII - IX translate very well to a handheld and so did the Resident Evil games. Tomb Raider, I thought didn't (too complicated and sophisticated jump 'n run mechanics), although playable.

It's strange. The geek in me wants to love the Vita (and it does)! The asthetics of the handheld is pure sex, the display wonderful sharp and crisp. The graphics are also mighty impressive - and yet, I'm not really interested at all to play graphically sophisticated and gameplay challenging games on the go. I'm especially a bit unsure about the touchpad at the rear of the Vita and the touchpad on the display. It's such a nice display, I really don't want to touch it.

Maybe I'm just too oldschool? :???:

It's the confusion over the language on the games, the PSN account boundaries and most importantly the games I'm not too interested in. As great as the Uncharted title looks, I'm not sure it's something I'd want to play on a handheld. I also played Wipeout briefly and I'm really not impressed. Nice graphics, framerate okayish but above all, I don't think it translates well to the handheld experience. I thought the same of Wipeout Pure on the PSP btw.

That's not unfair at all. I could definitely myself see that other types of games will be bigger attractions on the Vita. Certainly I'm finding not all types of games are equally suited for all circumstances. ;) In bed for instance, tilting functions in Uncharted can become an issue when lying on your side. :D Personally, I loved a game like Burnout on the PSP more than Wipeout on the PSP, because it was less intense and more immediate fun. I could definitely imagine liking a game like SSX over WipeOut, for instance, though on the other hand WipeOut is a big game, and I think beating other people's times, as well as playing Zone mode, are probably really quite suitable.

I like Stardust however and if there were more games of that caliber, I'd buy it in an instant.

Motorstorm RC is one of those games for me, I'm loving that one, and playing it more than Super Stardust at the moment.

It's strange. The geek in me wants to love the Vita (and it does)! The asthetics of the handheld is pure sex, the display wonderful sharp and crisp. The graphics are also mighty impressive - and yet, I'm not really interested at all to play graphically sophisticated and gameplay challenging games on the go. I'm especially a bit unsure about the touchpad at the rear of the Vita and the touchpad on the display. It's such a nice display, I really don't want to touch it.

Well, one of the advantages of the rear-touchpad (as well as buttons ;) ) is that it sometimes saves you from needing the front touchpad. :D I'm not sure in which one but I think the Facebook app, if you're browsing through photos you can swipe the rear as well as the front to go through the fotos. Weird, but it works.

Maybe, but the Vita is catering for a lot of different tastes, and doing it really well so far imho. What I'm really enthusiastic about is that they got many things right day one on the OS level. Critically here is the information feeds on activities that you have done and your friends are doing. If you go to the start screen of a game, you can scroll down and see if your friends have been playing this game and what they have been doing immediately. You can comment on those activities right away - like a friend of mine played the demo for Motorstorm RC, and I've commented on him to get the full game because it's worth it (and he loves racing games).

And if someone beat your time, you can see that in the activity list, tap that activity, and the game will start up and go straight to that race. That's the type of integration that makes the device so awesome, and which makes me most excited about the device. It's basically the most advanced and integrated game service around now.

I am pretty sure that if you get it, you will be happy with it.

No it doesn't. ^_^

I thought it would reset the position when backed out to LiveArea, but it didn't. Was able to flip between the web browser and the Twitter client several times, browsing different links, without losing state.

Try it !

I did and I'm reporting what I see.
I'm reading my twitter feed, I click on a link in the feed, it opens the browser, I exit the browser, go back to the twitter app and it starts at the most recent tweet, no the one I just left.

Going back to the home screen won't reset it.

Motorstorm RC is one of those games for me, I'm loving that one, and playing it more than Super Stardust at the moment.

Damn you Arwin, I think you just sold me a Vita! :smile: I just watched a video and this reminds me so much of the gameboy classic Super R.C. Pro-Am.

Arwin said:
Maybe, but the Vita is catering for a lot of different tastes, and doing it really well so far imho.

I guess you're right. It's definately the handheld that appeals to me the most - even if from a gameplay perspective Nintendo's offering might probably suit me better. I just hope that there are more games coming that are less challenging from a control/precision point of view, but more with a puzzle aspect to it. I think the style of the game Exit (which I admittedly never got for the PSP) was one of the games that appealed to me. Nice graphics, 2d space, intelligent puzzles. It's why I would really like the Pixeljunk games (even if just a remake) to appear on the Vita.

Arwin said:
What I'm really enthusiastic about is that they got many things right day one on the OS level. Critically here is the information feeds on activities that you have done and your friends are doing. If you go to the start screen of a game, you can scroll down and see if your friends have been playing this game and what they have been doing immediately.

Sadly, this is the factor that's holding me off the most. I'm dreading having to use an PSN account with no friends on it (my local one), just to be able to download the games for it.

Actually now that I think of it - linking a user-id to a region is a very bad idea. If someone moves into a different region, he's expected pretty much to give up his identity and make a new one. Given that (PSN) identities will last beyond the existance of the PS3 (and now Vita), it's not something you'd want to have to rebuild from scratch - ever.

Sadly, this is the factor that's holding me off the most. I'm dreading having to use an PSN account with no friends on it (my local one), just to be able to download the games for it.

Actually now that I think of it - linking a user-id to a region is a very bad idea. If someone moves into a different region, he's expected pretty much to give up his identity and make a new one. Given that (PSN) identities will last beyond the existance of the PS3 (and now Vita), it's not something you'd want to have to rebuild from scratch - ever.

I can imagine that ... It may be less harsh for Vita than it is for PS3 though, being portable. Also perhaps worthy of note is that it is not actually the account that is locked to a region, but that certain stuff is locked to the region of your console or even the internet area it is plugged into, to prevent content that should only be available for a specific region to be available elsewhere.

Yeah, Motorstorm RC is pretty cool. And the PS3 / Vita integration (and buy one get both! so get the PS3 version already ;) ) is very well done too.

Well, there's Plants vs Zombies for Vita ;) as a current closest to PixelJunk Monsters. Also, game that is closest to 'Exit' this time is probably Escape Plan. Also there is A-men - don't know anything about that game (will get the demo) but I think it's a sort of puzzle-action platformer.

I hope this isn't too off-topic - but just to clarify about the accounts: Am I right in assuming that Vita is pretty similar to PSP in that you can only have one PSN account active at any given moment? In other words - I'm free to use as many PSP accounts as I wish (i.e. a US one, a Swiss one and a Japan one), but content purchased from these stores will only work with that account. Meaning that to play the games bought on the US account, I will need to log into that one and to play the Swiss ones, I will need to use that other account - where as games bought on the physical medium will work independantly under any region (as long as the game is region-free).

That's pretty much how PSP worked and while it was a big disappointment, it didn't matter much, as I never really played many games on the PSP and online and PSN integration was minimal if even practially non-existant.
The problem (to me), is that the PS3 doesn't work that way. Sony may have blocked foreign creditcars to its PSN stores, but the content bought is still playable using the other accounts. If this would be possible with Vita, I wouldn't have any concerns, as I can buy the games using my local store and log into my primary other account where all my friends and trophies are built up...

EDIT: Actually, did the 1.61 enable running the browser and games at the same time? Because I had Uncharted open when I started the browser.

Nope.

The multitasking between web browser and game already works to a certain extent. The restriction is artificially enforced. e.g., You can launch the web browser from *some* apps while a game is active.

I did and I'm reporting what I see.
I'm reading my twitter feed, I click on a link in the feed, it opens the browser, I exit the browser, go back to the twitter app and it starts at the most recent tweet, no the one I just left.

Going back to the home screen won't reset it.

That's odd ! Have you updated to firmware 1.61 ? I have been toggling between the apps without losing states/position for more than a day now. Can't remember when it started.

It will only lose state for something that is network session-based (like Friends). The app will need to reconnect to the server in these cases.

EDIT: What is the size of your memory card ? Wondering if my Twitter here cached its content under specific conditions.

I like Stardust however and if there were more games of that caliber, I'd buy it in an instant. I also think the PixelJunk games would translate very well to the Vita or generally a handheld. I also quite liked replaying the old PSone games on the PSP - Final Fantasy VII - IX translate very well to a handheld and so did the Resident Evil games. Tomb Raider, I thought didn't (too complicated and sophisticated jump 'n run mechanics), although playable.

I am trying out different genra to renew my perspective on mobile gaming. ^_^

Short games like Escape Plan work well as expected.

Long ones like Uncharted make it hard to stop abruptly. From OS standpoint, you can back out of a game anytime and jump back in at that point. The game won't restart from the last save point. So from that perspective, I prefer to game on Vita.

I was a little skeptical of a small screen cinematic experience. In Uncharted, while I wasn't stunned like in U2 Chapter 20, it's a very pretty game. The experience and atmosphere are intact for the most part and I did forget about screen size in all my play sessions.

The dual sticks take some getting used to. I think Uncharted: GA has some aim acceleration like U3. Unfortunately, the effect is much more noticeable on a Vita. I hated it because I would overshoot my target often. The game introduces gyro gaming to help aiming. I think it's a wonderful addition since it stabilizes my aim; but we should be able to do without. For now, gyro aiming + dual stick works ok. The Vita Uncharted game is somewhere between U1 and U2 in terms of meeting my expectation so far.

I heard Zipper's Unit 13 has better dual stick controls. I look forward to try it.

I hope this isn't too off-topic - but just to clarify about the accounts: Am I right in assuming that Vita is pretty similar to PSP in that you can only have one PSN account active at any given moment? In other words - I'm free to use as many PSP accounts as I wish (i.e. a US one, a Swiss one and a Japan one), but content purchased from these stores will only work with that account. Meaning that to play the games bought on the US account, I will need to log into that one and to play the Swiss ones, I will need to use that other account - where as games bought on the physical medium will work independantly under any region (as long as the game is region-free).

Correct. But the difference is: You need to reset your Vita when you switch account. It takes a few minutes to go through the process.

There is a YouTube video showing how you can keep all your games together in one card, or separated according to region in different cards.

Apparently, Near also performs some sort of gamer match service ?

67776988729429f86cf4z.png

You see the above Near card for people you encountered locally. I noticed last night that these users have a "Gamer Match" rating.

If the Vita manual explained this, I missed it.

FAQ for 3G Vita... AT&T's sign-up and redeem process confused the hell out of people.

PS Vita – Your 3G Questions Answered
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/23/ps-vita-your-3g-questions-answered/

How do I access the Free 250MB 30-Day Promo from AT&T?
Here is how you can gain access to your free 250MB DataConnectPass once you’ve paid for and activated your 3G data package (250MB or larger before 3/31/2012):
1) Login with your user ID and password
2) Expand the “My Devices and Plans” in the account overview
3) Select the Vita device
4) Select “Add a Plan”, and then select “You have earned coupon(s), would you like to redeem?”. The redeemed coupon will be stacked – meaning after the initial purchased session is consumed/expires, then the earned coupon plan will go into effect.

What free game do I get with the AT&T promotion?
Along with the free 250MB DataConnectPass, purchasers of a 3G data package will also receive a digital copy of the newly released Super Stardust Delta Bundle, featuring the full game plus DLC for PS Vita ($14.99 value). This redemption code will be sent to you in an email within 30 days from the date of purchase of a DataConnect Pass.
6) If I have a DataConnect Pass with AT&T for my iPad, can I login with the same credentials?
No. You will need to create a new account using a different email address for your PS Vita.

Great! The videos I've converted for iPad are readily viewable on Vita. Don't know if you'll be able to transfer videos that you've bought from iTunes, though.
But this is great, as I don't need to re-convert anything :thumbsup:

Any places where I could dl some wallpapers? Googling gives some sites but there really isn't much to choose from yet, and what there is are mostly some game characters and such, I'd prefer abstract wallpapers, nature etc... Some stylish wallpaper for the lock-screen would be nice.
Edit: Oh! I shuld've read the post above :) Thanks patsu!

The comparison with IPad isn't really applicable.

Vita is very much a game machine targeted at core gamers, it'll see games with higher production values regardless of the relative performance with an IPad 3 because of that.
'Proper' games will come to mobile eventually. From Eurogamer article:

Bungie co-founder and former Disney Interactive Studios chief Alex Seropian has set up a new outfit to develop core games for mobile platforms.

"We believe in the future of mobile. No more excuses for inferior game play, graphics, and idle time-wasters with cute names and elementary mechanics," reads the mission statement on its Facebook page.

Great! The videos I've converted for iPad are readily viewable on Vita. Don't know if you'll be able to transfer videos that you've bought from iTunes, though.
But this is great, as I don't need to re-convert anything :thumbsup:

Commercial iTunes videos are DRM'ed by FairPlay. As I recall, they carry the extension .m4p. Unless it's cracked by some dude on the net (around the time PSP was launched), we won't be able to transcode or play the video on Vita.

Good to hear Vita supports iPad's video profile and level.

Back