Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

EDIT: Actually, did the 1.61 enable running the browser and games at the same time? Because I had Uncharted open when I started the browser.

The multitasking between web browser and game already works to a certain extent. The restriction is artificially enforced. e.g., You can launch the web browser from *some* apps while a game is active.

Someone tweeted Shuhei to confirm:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35445389&postcount=9464

vitabrowser.jpg

PlayStation Vita Facebook app pulled for repairs, Sony blames house of Zuckerberg
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/24/playstation-vita-facebook-app-pulled-for-repairs-sony-blames-ho/

After a short, two day stint on Sony's next generation portable, Facebook's Vita app has been pulled from the PSN store. According to a post on the official PlayStation Forums (EU), users were encountering an error code while trying to log into the popular social network, forcing them to close the application. Community team leader PadPoet says the error is a "Facebook specific issue (on their side)," and that the two outfits are working on a solution. "We will announce further details when ready," ...

This may be relevant to 3G Vita and iPad. ^_^

AT&T Plan Would Let App Makers Pay for Subscribers' Data Use
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204653604577249080966030276.html

BARCELONA—AT&T Inc. is preparing a service that would let content providers and developers of mobile applications pay the wireless carrier for the mobile data its customers use, the carrier's network and technology head John Donovan said in an interview Monday.

Mr. Donovan likened the service to toll-free calling for the mobile-broadband world. ...

EDIT:
More here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...pers_pay_for_users_smartphone_data_usage.html

"(It) would say, if you take this app, this app will come without any network usage," Donovan reportedly said while at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

AT&T executives believe the system could be a win for both consumers and the carrier itself, allowing third parties to shoulder some of the costs of mobile bandwidth.

He gave the example of a user who wants to download a movie on the go, but who has nearly reached their monthly data plan cap. The content provider selling the movie could cover the cost of the bandwidth needed to download the film, so that the user could still make the purchase and not go over their limit.

Sales at 1.2 million now for Vita worldwide, apparently, and 2 million in software sales:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-playstation-vita-worldwide-sales-hit-1-2-million

What's Vita at now in Japan? 500.000? So that leaves 700.000 for US and EU, at 350.000 each, say, right? PSP did 170k at launch in the UK alone, though admittedly that's likely to be the biggest market in Europe, I think it is not likely that they'll have beat that (record) launch this time. But it's not bad either. As others have said though, it won't mean much if it doesn't keep selling. They need to get to 5 million by this time next year, and then hopefully close in on 15 million not too much more than a year later. If they make that and don't get hacked, they have an established, viable games platform.

2 million software sales isn't too impressive either, even if the majority of that is likely to be Uncharted, which is relatively expensive. I'd have expected more, honestly.

Good enough for now, but there's some work to do.

Well I don't know what they're doing in EU and Japan but in the US, they're doing all kinds of promotions, such as gift cards with system purchase, 4 GB memory cards included with system, buy 2 games get 1 free.

These promotions are all at system launch, which is unprecedented. They didn't do this for the PSP.

The 3DS saw a price cut within the first year and this past Christmas, there were all kinds of promotions for it as well, even though they had some big games out for it, like a Mario game.

I don't know the software lineup for the rest of the year but they're going to need some big guns, probably more promos to keep sales going at their so far paltry levels.

iPad 3 will sell more than 1.2 million in the first week (if not first weekend), probably, at prices which start roughly double the price of the Vita.

Time for Sony to move on to the PS4.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I still believe that iPad sales are as relevant as PC sales are for console sales. Yes, they'll compete for some of the same space, but it ultimately says little about the capacity for sales for either device.

As for the big guns, the biggest is probably Call of Duty. I'm thinking it would be pretty insane if they manage to get that to work like Motorstorm RC, where you can pick up Vita where you left off on PS3, but just getting that game on there and run at a decent pace and do multiplayer alone will be a big coup. For me personally, LittleBigPlanet is a pretty big deal for Vita too, as creating stuff using all the Vita's features should be pretty fantastic and it should all just look amazing on that screen.

MLB is also pretty big - should be the first big title that allows you to seemlessly continue between the PS3 and Vita versions. And that's coming pretty soon, I think.

Gravity Days is also coming to the West in a few months, but it's new IP so it's not necessarily a system seller. It reviews really well and sold well in Japan, but didn't lead to more Vita sales.

There are plenty of other titles, but if shooters take off on Vita, that could be one of those big things, just like when shooters started on consoles.

I was just mentioning it for the purpose of comparisons, though I think that there is bound to be some overlap and some people will choose one or the other, at least for the short to medium term.

There are a lot of people who can afford both. But do you have time for both is the question. A tablet is going to be something you will use every day whereas a handheld, I can see a lot of people leaving it idle after they've had it a few months and they've finished a few big games.

In the end, the consumer pays for the bandwidth.

It is essentially a revenue sharing model between AT&T and the service provider, compared to consumers paying for the bandwidth alone (with no value add). ^_^

Depending on the service provider, the consumers may or may not need to pay for the bandwidth (e.g., if the provider collect money from someone else).

EDIT:
Here's some update on shared data plans...

Verizon CFO says shared data plans coming mid-year
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/28/verizon-cto-says-shared-data-plans-coming-mid-year/

We've already from Verizon's CEO Lowell McAdam that the carrier was planning to offer shared data plans. And leaks have indicated that the carrier is already prepping its backend system for the change. Now CFO Fran Shammo has narrowed down the time frame a bit for us, telling a group of investors that family data plans should debut towards the middle of the year. But, he was quick to clarify this isn't as simple as setting a launch date. The shift to the new billing system will take time and not everyone will be migrated on day one.

Well I don't know what they're doing in EU and Japan but in the US, they're doing all kinds of promotions, such as gift cards with system purchase, 4 GB memory cards included with system, buy 2 games get 1 free.

These promotions are all at system launch, which is unprecedented. They didn't do this for the PSP.

The 3DS saw a price cut within the first year and this past Christmas, there were all kinds of promotions for it as well, even though they had some big games out for it, like a Mario game.

I don't know the software lineup for the rest of the year but they're going to need some big guns, probably more promos to keep sales going at their so far paltry levels.

iPad 3 will sell more than 1.2 million in the first week (if not first weekend), probably, at prices which start roughly double the price of the Vita.

Yap ! The deals are a godsend. The iPad software price is currently low in comparison. The most expensive Vita software costs $40-50 (Uncharted: Golden Abyss). Applying launch promos to generate demand and buzz is not unprecedented. During the HDM war, BDA threw in sweetening B2G1 free deals for the early adopters too. When the platform reaches critical mass, they will be able to explore more opportunities and upsides.

I was just mentioning it for the purpose of comparisons, though I think that there is bound to be some overlap and some people will choose one or the other, at least for the short to medium term.

There are a lot of people who can afford both. But do you have time for both is the question. A tablet is going to be something you will use every day whereas a handheld, I can see a lot of people leaving it idle after they've had it a few months and they've finished a few big games.

That's right, but that's also why people buy dedicated gaming handheld. It complements general purpose computing devices like PC and iOS/Android devices. As long as there is an unserved or underserved need on the general platform, a well differentiated dedicated platform can still gain. In this scenario, the more iPad 3 sells, the better it is for a specialized platform in the long run (iPad is very good at removing the stigma of being a "core" gamer, since everyone games !). This is also why we should/will see specialized iOS/Android devices too. But these devices may also carry baggages from the same general purpose OS.

As for whether people have time for both, it's more a question of how attractive and unique the contents are. When people get used to the iPad model, they will also realize that the most attractive content only works on the latest model(s). OTOH, and the fixed platform model will have an optimized working library at lower cost over time. Depending on how Sony and Apple play the game, it should be possible to find a middle ground and thrive.

I'd say Sony should adopt the best traits in the iOS model but also create new category of "games" that appeal to iPad users. In fact, they should also introduce utility, non-gaming and gaming features that work hand-in-hand with iPad. Once that familiarity and bridge is established, some people will be more open to getting a specialized Sony device.

That number should include PSP games right ? Does it not ?

Some of us are interested in PSP too. We weren't keen before because PSP's single nub was simply not compelling. Would like to get Monster Hunter, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and many other proven PSP titles on Vita.

I have this strange desire to fill up Vita's game card and go somewhere far.

That number does not include PSP titles. Why should it? There's no way of telling what you bought the game for. Personally, I have bought many PSP digitally already and most seem to run on Vita. Basically from the moment that was possible I preferred it, having two PSPs.

Yeah since the medium is fully digital, Sony should be able to count the number of PSP games running on or transferred to Vita relatively easily. I don't know if they have enough time to do so this round.

Backward compatibility with the PSP library is important to us. I think some are waiting for a PSN PSP promo, or a long term PS+ deal before we make our move. :devilish:

Well the apps. developers will pay for bandwidth from advertisers or whatever and those people will pass on their costs to the consumers.

If they tried to add in PSP software sales they'd just get accused of manipulating the numbers.

It would make no sense to quote PSP software anyway in a PR piece about Vita related sales. Whether they had a way to track whether PSP software was being played on Vita or not, it's not Vita software so there's no amount of PR spin that could make that a reasonable thing to include.

2 mill Vita games sold is pretty damn good imho, especially considering the price of the games and the fact that we're in a post-iOS-99c-world. Shows that people are still willing to invest in more involved games in addition to the more casual distractions that exist on phones/tablets etc.

I hope that Sony can continue selling at the current rate, if only to finally shut up the naysayers and grating "doom & gloom" mongers. Dedicated portable gaming is still a healthy market and i have every belief that it can co-exist beside phone/tab gaming and still remain profitable for Sony and Nintendo.

I do also hope for continuing strong sales for action-heavy, traditionally-console-like games like Uncharted and Res Evil: Rev on both portable platforms. As i feel that it would create a really nice middle-ground for mid-tier developers that have not the funding or manpower to do the triple A console blockbusters, and also would hopefully encourage more western devs to dabble in dedicated portable gaming.

I always cry a bit inside when the biggest devs in the undustry would shun PSP and the DS and yet would go out and invest in iOS/android shovelware and casual games. If anything was helping in the creation of the current pervasive and prevailing negative attitude toward dedicated portable gaming over iOS/android apps, it was that.

Well sales have dropped off every week in Japan, somewhat steeply, hasn't it?

Hard to imagine it not happening in US or Europe, unless there are some big game launches.
Here's a business-oriented view, including some Wall Street analysts suggesting Sony could boost sales by cutting price:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...-million-but-analyst-still-expects-price-cut/

I think the launch lineup is very western focussed anyway, appealing to western tastes much more than what we saw with the Japanese launch.

It's harder to imagine sales dropping off a cliff in the US/EU than it was with the Japanese launch. I personally see no reason why there wouldn't still be some ingrained interest for the device in the market especially as the marketing campaign has pretty much only just started. It's the opposite of a MS or Apple launch where they bombard people with comercials months before release to get that initial surge which later levels off.

I'm expecting a slight drop off in the coming weeks, but not too much. I still think they'll level out at a reasonable point at least until the next wave of Vita games are announced/released. I believe that the current launch line-up is strong enough to sustain good sales until then. I also think that Sony could drive sale with good bundles for now, a price drop isn't necessary until they've at least seen how its faired being on the market globally for its first month.

Nintendo pissed off its early adopters with its excessive cuts too soon. It was a panic move, and one i'm quite sure they're regretting considering current 3DS sales. The 3DS could still have sold at $180-200 imho. I think Sony hurt the percieved value of the 3DS when they announced their $250 price for Vita. The Vita itself on the other hand can clearly be seen to be worth its current price despite it being a bit expensive in absolute terms. I think Sony will get away with selling at the current price for as long as they can, and will likely cut price by $50 before Christmas or early 2013 to drive more sales once things slow down and the inevitable first year games drought hits.

Apple doesn't advertise before they launch a product.

They get a lot of publicity and media attention in anticipation of new products. Look at the iPad 3, which is expected to be unveiled next week.

They will start running ads AFTER they launch it publicly, not before.

I'm one and I think there are many others, who will buy an iPad 3 now and wait to see if Vita drops prices later in the year or after they made a process shrink and come out with a cost-reduced model.

At a minimum, you would expect that they will be running promos by the Holiday shopping season, either gift cards or more bundles with memory cards, more buy 2 get one game free type of deals. By then the games which have been released or will be released in the next couple of months will also be cheaper too.

So there's a lot of downward pressure on prices for these handheld systems and games, which is coming from mobile devices. They may not go down to 99 cents like iOS games but few Vita and 3DS games will be able to get a lot of sales at $40 and $50.

Back