Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Crappy timing for the vita event. Sure as hell I'm not driving to SF this evening on the traffic :D If that event was on weekend I would be there in a heart beat.

I wonder if there are enough B3D people in bay area to organize some meeting? Perhaps some food and fine beverage.

They don't want us suburbanites coming to their chic event, even though there are at least as many, if not more technophiles living down the Peninsula.

wco81, are you in the Bay Area too ?

I hate going down to Union Street in the city. Too &%*($&%$ crowded there.

Yes, South Bay.

Yeah you're fighting rush hour traffic, dealing with parking in the City. I've driven up there early evenings during the week before but it would have to be a real big deal.

Actually would have made more sense to do this even at the Metreon, easier to reach from the Peninsula than going to other parts of the City. But the Playstation store is closed there.

Yes the cards are proprietary and as has been mentioned before required for some games to even start. USB cable is proprietary as well isn't it?

Wow.

Now this along with the price list for memory cards leads me to believe Sony might not have learned very much from their ps3 ordeal at all ...

Yes, South Bay.

Yeah you're fighting rush hour traffic, dealing with parking in the City. I've driven up there early evenings during the week before but it would have to be a real big deal.

Actually would have made more sense to do this even at the Metreon, easier to reach from the Peninsula than going to other parts of the City. But the Playstation store is closed there.

They probably want to scoop up the Christmas shoppers at Union Street. But that's why I hate to be part of it.

The Metreon store was a flagship SonyStyle store ! There is no brick and mortar PS Store.

Wow.

Now this along with the price list for memory cards leads me to believe Sony might not have learned very much from their ps3 ordeal at all ...
Perhaps they learnt a lot, and it was a lesson we'd have wished had worked otherwise. PSP made Sony money on proprietary formats. PS3 was open. Perhaps Sony noticed the lack of secondary revenues and have learnt proprietary gets them more money? Or perhaps they learnt from the hacks on PS3 that USB access is Bad News, and they want a proprietary format that only they can access through their own software, ensuring security of content on the card?

Perhaps they learnt a lot, and it was a lesson we'd have wished had worked otherwise. PSP made Sony money on proprietary formats. PS3 was open. Perhaps Sony noticed the lack of secondary revenues and have learnt proprietary gets them more money? Or perhaps they learnt from the hacks on PS3 that USB access is Bad News, and they want a proprietary format that only they can access through their own software, ensuring security of content on the card?

I think they learned a different lesson, and not just from the PS3 but this entire generation (console and handheld). Lesson being that people don't pay attention to anything but the list price of the device. All the accessories its takes to actually play don't really count. That, and people don't mind paying top dollar for those accessories if you've got compelling content, or at least a compelling, attractive product with excellent marketing.

Yes, South Bay.

Eh, why drive? Just take BART or Caltrain and then take the 45. There's a stop right there at Union & Gough.

As for the Metreon, probably a bad place for Sony to try and launch a new product, even if they could (it's completely closed down for remodeling into a Target, with the exception of the theatre).

:LOL: Spoken like a true local !
It's just that timing is bad. -_-
[size=-2]... and I hate crowd.[/size]

I re-read the article. It looks like the "Vita Hill Social Club" is not a one time event. Today is the opening day. We may be able to check it out later.

It's about 4x SD card rpices, right?

Just about, yeah.

As far as prices dropping, I think what Sony will end up doing is phasing out cheaper/smaller product while still keeping the pricepoints in tact.

2012:
$20 4gb
$40 8gb

2014:
$20 8gb
$40 16gb

2016:
$20 16gb
$40 32gb

They will want to remain reflective of price movements in the market, but will also want to keep the same or better cash-flow coming in off these peripherals while leaving plenty for retailers as well.

Anyone know what the equivalent prices are in sterling?

I'm thinking i'll probably just buy an 8GB card and make do by saving most of my games on my PS3.

It's funny to hear everyone complaining about the memory card prices for Vita though. When i first got my PSP i paid an arm and a leg for my memory stick duo. So nothing much has changed really, it was obvious this was gonna be the case (shoddy as it is).

Anyone know what the equivalent prices are in sterling?

I'm thinking i'll probably just buy an 8GB card and make do by saving most of my games on my PS3.

It's funny to hear everyone complaining about the memory card prices for Vita though. When i first got my PSP i paid an arm and a leg for my memory stick duo. So nothing much has changed really, it was obvious this was gonna be the case (shoddy as it is).

Though memory stick prices were high, at least there was market pressure with memory stick being used in most other Sony products at the time which had to compete with other standards (SD, XD, CF, etc) thus keeping prices reasonable (not 4x the cost of other memory on the market)

Are we comparing apples to apples though? We don't know the speeds? Even the really cheap 8GB card costs like 23 euro here btw.

Well the faster cards are rated for recording and playing back video right? But these Vita cards are mainly for game saves?

Sony cites security so maybe there's some DRM features which add to the cost.

Well the faster cards are rated for recording and playing back video right? But these Vita cards are mainly for game saves?

Yeah? So where were you going to store your PSN games?

Oh, I'm not much of a buyer of PSN games.

I guess from that standpoint, if there are a lot of good games and useful apps. then maybe 8 GB wouldn't be enough.

Oh well, wait for bundles or price drop.

Back