Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Dynasty Warrior for Vita will also support 3G:

The producer acknowledged that 3G support is one of the 2 main challenges the team faces right now. It's the first time people can play together for the series.

PlayStation Vita Pre-Order Goodies [for EU]
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/11/15/playstation-vita-pre-order-goodies/

Not only will pre-ordering guarantee a PS Vita on the day of launch, but you also get to take home an exclusive PS Vita Gift Pack* including limited edition merchandise, exclusive content and game discounts for PlayStation Store. The following PS Vita Pre-order Gift Packs will be available at selected retailers:

* In Ear Headphones in ‘PS Vita Blue’

* PS Vita Gaming Wallet

Either bundle also comes with the following goodies:

pre-order code that will unlock PSN voucher codes for the following:

€5 discount on one of the following PS Vita games on PlayStation Store: Little Deviants, Super Stardust Delta, Hustle Kings, Escape Plan.

Exclusive PS Vita items for PlayStation Home: PS Vita T- Shirt, Sunglasses, Headphones, Trainers and Bag.

Exclusive early access to Frobisher Says! for PS Vita.

An exclusive PS Vita Avatar for PlayStation Network.

Sony Opens PlayStation Social Network Site
http://andriasang.com/comyyp/

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan opened up a new section of the PlayStation.jp portal today. Titled "Play Community," this new community site is a social network for PlayStation fans.

Register at the site, and you'll be able to make friends, form groups, send messages to other players, seek out players for game sessions, and create your own "My Page" with your very own game list.

Sony will be giving PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi models to three people who register with the site, make three friends and post a comment at this blog post.

This better be part of playstation.com (and XMB !) when it releases in US and EU.

Eight Minute Interview About the Creation of PS Vita Cases
http://andriasang.com/comyyx/

Okay, we need a volunteer with 8 minutes on his hands.

If you've been keeping up with Sony's PlayStation Vita portal site, it probably won't surprise you too much to find that Sony managed to release an whole eight minute video showing some guy talking about the creation of the system's ¥1,800 first party carrying case.

This is the first of three videos covering the system's accessories. [blah]

I don't know how one could talk 8 minutes about a damn pouch, but am too curious to ignore it. The blue earphone looks nice. I haven't seen the case yet.

Japanese Press Takes Delivery of the PlayStation Vita
http://andriasang.com/comz01/

It appears that Sony has sent out PlayStation Vita units to the Japanese press. Get News got review units and posted a few pics of the system in the wild.

In addition to Hot Shots Golf 6, which is launching with the system, Sony included Gravity Daze, which isn't launching until February. The Get News reporter appeared to be quite impressed with Gravity Daze, saying that it could be a system seller.

PlayStation Vita Screen Uses Samsung AMOLED Tech, Reports Korean Paper
http://andriasang.com/comz0a/

In an article headlined "S.Korean IT firms expand market dominance," the paper writes that Vita is expected to use an AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED) screen from Samsung Mobile Display.

Other products using Samsung AMOLED screen technology include Samsung's own Galaxy tablet series, and phone sets from Nokia and Motorola, the paper writes.

You can read the Hankyoreh report in English here.

Casual gamers leaving dedicated handheld market
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ers-leaving-dedicated-handheld-market-article

A recent survey by analysts Cowen and Company shows that casual gamers have abandoned traditional handheld devices, with only 26 per cent playing on a Nintendo DS, 3DS or a Sony PSP.

"Over the last five years, the penetration of dedicated handheld platforms into survey respondents self-identifying as casual gamers has declined by 29 per cent, with the vast majority of that decline occurring in the last two years," states the report.

"We believe cellphone and smartphone gaming is significantly impacting demand for dedicated handheld devices."

Only 37 per cent of those surveyed played games on a dedicated handheld device, while 52 per cent played on their phone.

Does it clearly identify this to be cannibalization though? Because it may also be that the group identifying themselves as casual gamers have grown. The number of people who actually own a phone that you can play a game on has exploded.

Vodaphone announced as PS Vita partner
http://www.shoptonews.net/2011/11/21/vodaphone-announced-as-ps-vita-partner/

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Vodafone have today announced a partnership that will see Vodafone as the preferred provider of 3G connectivity for PlayStation Vita initially in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand and The Netherlands, and with Vodafone’s Partner in France (SFR).

The PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model sold in selected countries will come with a Vodafone SIM card, while customers will also be able to buy PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model direct from Vodafone channels, both online and in store. In addition, customers connecting with Vodafone will receive a PlayStation Network voucher to download WipEout 2048 from PlayStation Store.

That's not bad at all. We use Vodafone at our company for our iPhones and 3G performance is good.

What does 3G get you in a mostly gaming device?

It doesn't sound like a lot of games will support online play over 3G.

Depends on how good the online apps are, the webbrowser, the appstore, the streaming of podcast type stuff/music/video/youtube and online leaderboards and such. I don't think I'll need it, but there's definitely an opportunity there.

I did read the other day about a developer (Dynasty Warriors?) working on 3G online co-op.

Yap, first post on this page. Ridge Racer is also another experimental one.

The difference is only $50 between 3G and non-3G Vita. Might as well get it as a backup for anywhere access if you can afford it. Comes in most handy when you travel, speaking from personal experience.

EDIT:
[size=-2]Social games ported from phones may assume a perpetual connection.[/size]

I'm using my Mifi in Hong Kong right now. Paid $100 HKD at the air port for 1 week of unlimited use. There is $22 HKD credit left over.

Using it mostly for iPhone, playing Scrabble, Words with Friends, Dominion and Generals (Risk clones).

These are all turn-based games.

Also very useful for Maps, to find restaurants and streets.

I think the main advantage of a 3G-enabled device is if there's GPS and digital compass integrated. Otherwise, if all it needs is a Wifi connection ...

Yes, the 3G Vita has built-in GPS. The WiFi version uses an approximate form of geolocation.

I usually choose a built-in solution if available. When traveling, we would run out of power sockets to charge all the devices we are carrying overnight, or in the car. An additional device is also more inconvenient to carry and set up.

3G is also useful for playing while waiting in line, in public transports, etc. You just whip out the device and have a quick update/play. No need to tweak an additional hardware and put it back into the bag.

Sony's PlayStation Vita EU launch line-up
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-22-sonys-playstation-vita-eu-launch-line-up

UPDATE According to Sony's PlayStation Blog, Super Stardust Delta and Gravity Rush will also be available from launch.

ORIGINAL STORY: Sony has announced its first party PlayStation Vita launch line-up for Europe.

Among the SCEE-published titles on shelves from 22nd February are Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, ModNation Racers: Road Trip and a previously unannounced MotorStorm title.
Here's the full list:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
WipEout 2048
Reality Fighters
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Everybody's Golf
Escape Plan
Top Darts
Hustle Kings
Unit 13
MotorStorm RC

That's a pretty awesome list. Hopefully Escape Plan turns out every bit as good as it looks.

I pre-ordered the Wifi-only model. Not really into online games in the first place, much less so on a handheld device. Besides, Wifi is common enough, and on longer train trips across the country, 3G has proven to be spotty at best so far (Vodafone is my carrier). For me those additional 50 bucks are better spent on a bigger memory card or a game.

Back